I think this is a Jay........

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
I've not really done much bird photography (badgers have been more my bag of late!)

While walking through the RSPB reserve at Fairburn Ings I spotted this fella - I dont recall ever seeing one before so I grabbed a shot - from a bit of research I think its a Jay

jaycopy2.jpg

C&C always welcome - like I said I've not done much bird photography before so its all a bit new!

Regards

Neil

Last edited:
Yep, looks like a Jay to me, good feather and eye detail. Shame about the foliage but then they are a bit secretive, at least the ones I've seen so they dont come out and pose for you. Well spotted (y)

Last edited:
Yep, Jay, a damned fine photo of one as well.

Thanks for that Trev - as I said this was shot at the RSPB reserve at Fairburn.

They've set up some feeding areas on the reserve which have wooded screens infront of them with little holes cut out for you to view.

I was having a look when this fella appeared on the ground, by the time I'd got my camera he'd gone off into one of the trees, after a wait of about 10 minutes he finally perched on a branch where I could get this shot. Managed to get 2 pictures before he disappeared!

Thanks for the confirmation on ID, like I said, I dont recall ever seeing one before!!

Yep, Jay, a damned fine photo of one as well.

Thanks for the comment fracster - really appreciate it (I've been following your conservation thread with great interest)

Regards

Neil

Last edited:
I think that is a cracker, they are a shy bird, and the bird being partially hidden portrays this really well, love it (y)

Beautiful image and a beautiful clear pose with exceptional detail. Respect !

Beautiful image great colour and you've caught it in it's typical surroundings - a very shy secretive bird. This one looks like a juvenile - hasn't got it's full colour yet.

cracking shot, and the foliage adds to the image really well :)

Thanks again for the comments. At first I was a bit disappointed that I wasnt able to get a good clean shot, without the foliage - however as people have pointed out they are a shy bird and I now I quite like the fact that it is partially hidden adds to the picture.

Thanks for pointing that out Martyn - its made me like the shot even more!!

ATB

Neil

PS To all those have commented thanks for giving me a warm fuzzy feeling inside - I really do appreciate the kind words.

Last edited:
I have one that visits my garden in the Spring, not seen it around recently.

They love acorns, which I have in abundance in the park at the end of my garden.

It's very funny watching the Squirrels bury them and the Jay dig them up.

Bloody good shot, I've not managed to get quite so close to my little visitor.

Looked at this many a time now and like it even more, splendid shot of as very nervy bird in habitat.Top drawer, you jammy git...........:D

I've been looking at this too and realised there's a green cast affecting the colour of the bird.Initially I thiought it was down to being a juvenile, not having seen one before, but this is more the natural colour...

4808190430_31f9e290ee_o.jpg

Lovely shot and one to be proud of. (y)

I've been looking at this too and realised there's a green cast affecting the colour of the bird.Initially I thiought it was down to being a juvenile, not having seen one before, but this is more the natural colour...

Lovely shot and one to be proud of. (y)

I've slightly edited the original white balance - it was originally as shot out of the camera, any better?

Neil

Back