I thought I had reached camera bag nirvana, but...

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
After a few years of finally having settled on 2 camera bags, an FStop Guru for taking all my gear and an FStop Shibata for minimal kit and day to day use I find myself looking at bags again.

The FStop Shibata has been great and is still going strong, but my MacBook (12" Retina MacBook) doesn't fit, so I need something slightly bigger to replace it.

I'm looking for something that will hold my 5D, plus a couple of lenses, ideally with the 24-105mm attached and my MacBook, but also something that I can use daily for work etc.

I have shortlisted a few bags (in order of preference), has anyone got feedback on them, or are there others I should be looking at?

Another bag to add to the mix is the Crumpler Proper Roady 7500.

I'm beginning to think that the Lowepro may be too big. I really need to see the bags in the flesh, which is going to be tricky as I can't find the blue Retrospective 7 or the Derechoe 8 in stock online anywhere, let alone in a local camera shop!

In terms of Think Tank Retrospectives...

The 5 will happily fit an iPad mini in the front pocket
The 7 fits a normal iPad/Air in the front pocket (I believe, I don't actually own one, but I do own a 5 and 10).
The 10 will JUST fit a 13" Macbook Air in the front pocket and when full of kit it is a tight squeeze.

So, for your Macbook I would suggest a 10 rather than 7.

Hardly in the same class as the bags you've listed (either by price or build quality) but I have one of these: https://www.7dayshop.com/products/7...vable-interior-and-rain-cover-included-DS-014

It will hold a D610 with lens + 2 additional lenses and paraphernalia, and the compartment behind the camera insert takes a laptop easily (13" Macbook). Been using mine 2 years now, and it's not shown signs of wear yet, plus it's only £20.

In case it helps you, here is my Retrospective 7 full of Fuji X goodness, and with a MacBook Air in the rear pocket, with room to spare:

DSCF1030.jpg

And for comparison, here it is with a MacBook Pro 13" Retina, which definitely doesn't fit:

DSCF1028.jpg

The pocket can take the 'thickness' of the MacBook Pro.

I can certainly recommend the Retrospective 7 in terms of quality and usability.

Attachments

• DSCF1028.jpg
    DSCF1028.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
you need to check the bags have padding in the corners, you might be able to add some if they dont, but still a think to look for

In terms of Think Tank Retrospectives...

The 5 will happily fit an iPad mini in the front pocket
The 7 fits a normal iPad/Air in the front pocket (I believe, I don't actually own one, but I do own a 5 and 10).
The 10 will JUST fit a 13" Macbook Air in the front pocket and when full of kit it is a tight squeeze.

So, for your Macbook I would suggest a 10 rather than 7.
Thanks, I've just had a look at the 10, but it wouldn't be quite wide enough for my MacBook, I'd also prefer to keep it in a padded rear pocket as per Anabis's really helpful post.

So then the retrospectives aren't for you :)
The 7 in Anabis's post looks perfect! I think it is a slightly different design to the 5 and 10 you have. I just need to find somewhere with a blue one in stock now....

His will be an 11" Macbook air.

Indeed - just noticed that I failed to mention that mine is an 'old' 11" Macbook Air. However, I suspect that the new 12 inch Macbook would just fit. Why not contact Think Tank and ask them?

Confusingly their website says it will fit a 12" Macbook Air :thinking:

I'd be interested to know as I'm thinking of getting the new Macbook to replace my iPad mini.

The MacBook isn't actually much bigger than the 11" Air.

Although not cheap, the ONA Brixton would work for you for your camera gear/MacBook, can double up as a work "man-bag", is superb quality and looks great.

Worth the money, IMO - but I accept they're not to everyone's taste (or wallet).

Have a look at the Lowepro urban reporter 350, thats what I just got to go with my fstop guru, its a brilliant bag, I believe they have smaller sizes also, this holds my gear including a 15" Macbook pro. 1DX 6D 70-200 35 and 17-40 easily.

Although not cheap, the ONA Brixton would work for you for your camera gear/MacBook, can double up as a work "man-bag", is superb quality and looks great.

Worth the money, IMO - but I accept they're not to everyone's taste (or wallet).

Thanks, not really to my taste (or budget) though.

Have a look at the Lowepro urban reporter 350, thats what I just got to go with my fstop guru, its a brilliant bag, I believe they have smaller sizes also, this holds my gear including a 15" Macbook pro. 1DX 6D 70-200 35 and 17-40 easily.

Thanks, they look good, but I think the 150 would be too small and the 250 may be too big. As they have been discontinued the prices are good though...

That looks massive!

The 7 in Anabis's post looks perfect! I think it is a slightly different design to the 5 and 10 you have. I just need to find somewhere with a blue one in stock now....
Think Tank seem to make the Retrospective range with different depths to take different sizes of camera, heights for bigger mounted lenses, and obviously width too. I've just bought a 40 which is bigger than the 7. If someone would lend me a MacBook, i'll let you know if it fits :).

Had a think tank retrospective, loved the look and feel of the bag but for me it was too heavy empty and a bit stiff- might have loosened up with use I guess.

Had a think tank retrospective, loved the look and feel of the bag but for me it was too heavy empty and a bit stiff- might have loosened up with use I guess.

They loosen up but they are indeed heavy.

They loosen up but they are indeed heavy.
Thought they might, I was using a retrospectve 5 I think with an XT1. The weight of the bag, for me, negated part of the advantage of using the Fuji system. Quite dissapointed with that tbh as bag looks great and seemed well made

I've reserved a Lower Passport Messenger for collection at Jesse's as they're only £35 at the moment, which is a third of the price of the other bag, so I couldn't ignore that.

Let us know how you get on when the bag arrives?

It would be very useful for those of us in a similar dilemma.

Cheers!

Will do! It is annoying when thread doesn't get an ending.

For years I have been using a Tamrac holster style bag but having just purchased a sigma 150-600 mm lens to go with my Nikon D5500 I am in need of a backpack style bag to carry my kit. I am looking for a reasonably-priced bag that will take the above plus a 18-140mm & a 70-300mm. I want to carry the sigma lens with the body attached so need a minimum of 34cm internal height. I want to have space for personal stuff as well as a tablet and accessories so am looking for a bag I can divide vertically as opposed to horizontally. All suggestions would be appreciated.

For years I have been using a Tamrac holster style bag but having just purchased a sigma 150-600 mm lens to go with my Nikon D5500 I am in need of a backpack style bag to carry my kit. I am looking for a reasonably-priced bag that will take the above plus a 18-140mm & a 70-300mm. I want to carry the sigma lens with the body attached so need a minimum of 34cm internal height. I want to have space for personal stuff as well as a tablet and accessories so am looking for a bag I can divide vertically as opposed to horizontally. All suggestions would be appreciated.

I use an F-Stop Guru, but all their bags have a system where you choose how big you want the camera section and the overall size of the bag to tweak the ratio of camera gear to personal gear. I also have a 60l Tilopa for when I need more personal gear.

With regards to the Lowe Pro Passport Messenger I have been using it for the last few weeks as my daily bag, often with my MacBook and/or camera. It is a bit bigger than I would ideally want, the padded section for the camera only takes up about half the bag - with the divider removed it is spot on for my 5D with 24-105 mounted.

Following up on this - I have been using the Lowe Pro Passport Messenger most of the year and am still pleased with it. Certainly the best £35 I have spent on camera gear!

Following up on this - I have been using the Lowe Pro Passport Messenger most of the year and am still pleased with it. Certainly the best £35 I have spent on camera gear!

I'm currently looking for a slightly bigger bag than the one I'm using at the mo. I'd like it to take a mirrorless camera with a lens fitted and one or two extra lenses plus a few bits and pieces.

If you get time how about some pictures with camera gear in the bag as sometimes real world bag full pictures are a little had to find on line.

One thing that bugs me with some bags is that I like to wear them with the strap across my body rather than over one shoulder and the straps on some bags just aren't long enough even though I'm not particularly big so any comments on the strap and comfort would be nice :D

I'll see what I can do for photos with gear in - although it will be my 5D, rather than a mirrorless set up. The camera module only takes up half the width of the bag, which is fine if you want to carry non camera kit too.

With regards to stap length I wear it with the strap across my body and actually have the strap shortened a bit, it is plenty long enough.

Try a crumpler jackpack half backpack it easily fits my XT-2 and 2 lenses and plenty of space in top compartment for personal items / more camera gear

I'm currently looking for a slightly bigger bag than the one I'm using at the mo. I'd like it to take a mirrorless camera with a lens fitted and one or two extra lenses plus a few bits and pieces.

If you get time how about some pictures with camera gear in the bag as sometimes real world bag full pictures are a little had to find on line.

One thing that bugs me with some bags is that I like to wear them with the strap across my body rather than over one shoulder and the straps on some bags just aren't long enough even though I'm not particularly big so any comments on the strap and comfort would be nice :D

Not sure if it is too late now, but as you can see, with a full size body and prime lens there is plenty of space. My laptop is also in the bag. There was another bit of padding, so that you could split the camera section down a bit for smaller body and 2 lenses, but I don't use it.

5D in Lowe Pro Messenger
by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

I have been using a Tenba DNA and large one would take the laptop but unfortunately the stitching is coming away after just 1 month so going back to think tank bags.

I have been using a Tenba DNA and large one would take the laptop but unfortunately the stitching is coming away after just 1 month so going back to think tank bags.
Tamrac Apache are quite similar to the retrospective if you want something a bit lighter

Sorry to hear you had an issue. We use the finest materials and hardware to build our bags, but even the best components occasionally fail. We'd be happy to replace your bag. Just DM me.

Peter
Tenba

Back