I wanna be published!

Name
Nattelie
Edit My Images
Yes
Some of my photographs are currently hanging in hospitals, I'm soon to be participating in an exhibition too and my images will also be in leaflets there etc...but I've decided, I wanna be published, properly...in a magazine or book or something, not in an advertisement. Other than submitting images to newspapers etc to use as they please, - how do you do it? (I'm not after financial discussions please - I'm not interested in monetary stuff, I just want to show off my pictures.)

Not really much you can do to get published beyond send your pictures to appropriate publications. Persistence is the key!

Failing that write a book fill it with your images and look for a publisher. Local interest stuff isn't big money but isn't impossible to get done.

I get my photos published and I get paid for them so I am not going to tell you how to get yours published for nothing in place of mine.:wacky:

Not really much you can do to get published beyond send your pictures to appropriate publications. Persistence is the key!

Failing that write a book fill it with your images and look for a publisher.

That about sums it up I think! Competitors are by the thousand, only a few will achieve the exposure they crave.

I get my photos published and I get paid for them so I am not going to tell you how to get yours published for nothing in place of mine.:wacky:
And that's why I asked here - I'd rather be pointed in the direction where others won't lose out ;) lol

Most, if not all of the photography comics, publish readers pictures. Try submitting some to those. Amateur Photographer have been so short of quality content that they've seen fit to feature me twice in reader spotlight, so it can't be that hard.
Well done! Cheers, might give one of those a blast. ;)

Failing that write a book fill it with your images and look for a publisher. Local interest stuff isn't big money but isn't impossible to get done.

Ahh, writing a book...now that's a dream! ♥

Last edited:
I'm not interested in monetary stuff, I just want to show off my pictures.)

That's very worrying, especially for the hard working Pro's (no I'm not one of them) as the plethora of amateurs willing to let publishers of all kinds use their images for free is affecting the market

Most, if not all of the photography comics, publish readers pictures. Try submitting some to those. Amateur Photographer have been so short of quality content that they've seen fit to feature me twice in reader spotlight, so it can't be that hard.

I can only agree with this. I too have been featured twice in APs spotlight.
Persistence and Patience is the key. Since having my first APs spotlight many more publications came my way. I've since had work displayed in Magazines as far wide as Japan, USA and Australia. My latest is the front cover of a French Novel which was only released on 12th Sept.

Not bad for a highly average shooter!

Why and Why for free :D

Why not get published? :LOL: Just a different medium to the internet. Once money gets involved, things get complicated. lol. ;)

That's very worrying, especially for the hard working Pro's (no I'm not one of them) as the plethora of amateurs willing to let publishers of all kinds use their images for free is affecting the market

As explained above, that's why I'm asking here ;) I don't want to steal someone's bread and butter. ;) Local newsletters .... I forgot about those...

Why don't you submit to a stock library get published AND get paid for it. Any idiot can work for nothing after all.

I can only agree with this. I too have been featured twice in APs spotlight.
Persistence and Patience is the key. Since having my first APs spotlight many more publications came my way. I've since had work displayed in Magazines as far wide as Japan, USA and Australia. My latest is the front cover of a French Novel which was only released on 12th Sept.

Not bad for a highly average shooter!

Thanks guys. (y) And well done Chris.

Agree with you but thats the world everybody want their 15mins :(,i cant see what the problem is with wanting to be paid.
If you keep letting you stuff go for free in many ways you will never know how good your work really is.
If you think your work is good enough to go be publish,and someone willing to paid for it,then you know maybe its want they want and is good work.

:(

if you arent bothered about getting paid - photography magazines readers galleries, (and other interest magazines galleries like birdwatching, outdoor walking etc) and competitions (neither of which ever pay so you arent taking anything away from the working pro)

Last edited:
With some of the Photography magazines, you can actually get recompensed - if you're photos are chosen for AP's reader spotlight, you'll get £50 and the editor's choice also gets a Vanguard GH-100 pistol grip ball head (apparently worth £129.99).

In this week's issue there's also a feature on publicising your work including getting published. (Cover date 21 September 2013)

well yeah - but its not a route that pros will folow habitually was my core point

With some of the Photography magazines, you can actually get recompensed - if you're photos are chosen for AP's reader spotlight, you'll get £50 and the editor's choice also gets a Vanguard GH-100 pistol grip ball head (apparently worth £129.99).

In this week's issue there's also a feature on publicising your work including getting published. (Cover date 21 September 2013)
Fab, thanks....think a trip to the newsagents is in order (y) and well done too. :)

Agree with you but thats the world everybody want their 15mins :(,i cant see what the problem is with wanting to be paid.
If you keep letting you stuff go for free in many ways you will never know how good your work really is.
If you think your work is good enough to go be publish,and someone willing to paid for it,then you know maybe its want they want and is good work.

:(
Don't see what the issue is about wanting to use a different medium to the internet? I'm not after anything other than the personal gratification of knowing people have seen my pics. I'm hardly eager to give away my work to an international publisher, to be fair. I'm more a "community spirit" kinda gal. ;)

if you arent bothered about getting paid - photography magazines readers galleries, (and other interest magazines galleries like birdwatching, outdoor walking etc) and competitions (neither of which ever pay so you arent taking anything away from the working pro)
(y) Thanks

Well done for what? I did get a few shots published in AP a couple of years ago (I went on one of their training days and they used a few of my shots. Didn't get paid but got free [and sans public] entry to Rosemoor Gardens) but not sure I've done much else to warrant congratulations!!!

i think she thinks you know about star image from experience ;)

Back