I want a DSLR!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there, guys!

I'm thinking about moving up to a DSLR, but wondered if I could have a little advice.

I really don't want anything too complicated or too expensive, as I just want to break into the DSLR and have something to learn on whilst doing my degree.

I've currently got a bridge camera (Panasonic DMC FZ-30), but I think I'm ready to move on :unsure: I want to be able to do more adventurous things, like macro and wide angle etc ...

I went into the local photographic place and they've suggested an Olympus E410? I was wondering what your opinions are on that camera..? There's a package there for £329, where you get the body and a 14-42 lens.

I'm looking in that sort of price bracket really, to be honest.

Any help would be much appreciated :thinking: :shrug:

:D :D :D :D :D

Not used the Olympus, but dont blame you for wanting a DSLR :) My first was my Canon 350D, cracking little camera to learn with, in my experience, and seems to have a bit of an cheaper and easier to find market for accessories and lenses (such as the cheap deal on extension tubes at jessops at the moment, for macro stuff). But I don't want to put you off the Oly, as people on here do rave about them :)

Thank you for your quick reply!!

I've never used any Olympus kit, you see - so I don't know what they're like to use.

The thing with Canons is that they seem to be quite pricey for what you get, in comparison to other makes, but does this mean that they're better quality or do you just pay for the Canon name?

I'm quite taken by the Olympus as it's got Live View, which I do love... My Panasonic is amazing in the respect that it's got the rotating/folding screen - which I use SO much! (I'll miss it, lol!)

Warehouse Express are currently selling the Nikon D40 + 18-55 Lens + bag for £329
or as above + UV filter + 1gb card for £345

they also have the Canon 350D + 18-55 lens for £369
(Best D-SLR Entry Level 2004-2005)

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/

if it was me I'd look at one of those 2 cameras, I think you will find upgrading them and adding to the a lot easier and there is likely to be more second hand items available

go down to your local shop and have a play with them and see which feels most comfortable

(y)

Aahhh the Nikon D40 sound familiar. I think a friend of mine has just bought one.. I might be cheeky and get him to see if I can take a look! haha!

Thanks for the link to the website!! Some nice stuff on there!

I'm gonna sound like a complete amateur now!!... but to what extent does the number of megapixels matter...? The Nikon has 6MP whereas the Oly has 10MP?

The thing with Canons is that they seem to be quite pricey for what you get, in comparison to other makes, but does this mean that they're better quality or do you just pay for the Canon name?

I'm quite taken by the Olympus as it's got Live View, which I do love... My Panasonic is amazing in the respect that it's got the rotating/folding screen - which I use SO much! (I'll miss it, lol!)

Yeah Canon and Nikon do seem to be slightly pricier, but if you shop around you can also find some good bargains on both brands ;)

Yes, both the Canon and Nikon are missing live view, but I can't recommend enough how much more accurate and precise you can be with a viewfinder :) Don't get me wrong I love the live view on my 40D, but I didnt really miss it on the 350D (though I was always tempted to get a Zig View, which is like the screen on the Panasonics, my sister has one, in that it folds out to all sorts of angles and gives you a live view through you viewfinder)

I agree with JL
I "came in" from point and shoot digital and at first was rather miffed about the lack of a live veiw screen on my 400D now I never give it a second thought & don't miss it all all.

I love the live view on my 40D,

I didn't even know that 40D had live view :LOL::LOL: Must really take a moment to go through the manual

Have you thought about a Fuji Finepix S5000? It's one I borrowed off a mate for a while and found it quite good, although I wouldn't swap it for my 40D :LOL: You can have different lenses for it too

Those fujis are great, but its still a bridge camera, and its fixed lens, you can only add...attachements to it, theres not really a range of lenses, as such.
A wide angle attaches to the existing lens;)

Theres a really good ebay shop that sells refurbished canon 350D's for around £230, inc kit lens, and theyre all fine, not damaged or anything..u could do a search for that?

Your FZ30 is a fine camera, but you say you'd like to do Macro and wide angle shots.
I don't know about the wide angle stuff but for Macro why not try a Raynox dcr 250 on your FZ 30.

Do a forum seach for posts by Ajophotog, he uses a Panasonic and a Raynox, for some excellent macro work, for example

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=40306&highlight=raynox

Oh wow! that's a great alternative!

Thank you so much! I'm going to have a serious look at some of that equipment and the images from ajo..!

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions! has really given me alot to look at!!

You're all fantastic!! :D

Highly recommend the E-410 which I have myself. Had many cameras myself in the past from film slrs to point and shoot compacts to bridge cameras. looked at Canon 400d, Nikon d40x, Pentax k100d the e410 came out on top for me better build overall good kit lenses it felt better in my hands dont miss the grip at all small/light, liveview comes in handy for landscapes and close ups. Its got great dust reduction, duel card slots XD/CF 1/11 plus microdrive. Alot of people who swap from compacts/bridge cameras miss liveview. Images themselves are up there with the best of em giving good detail and colour. I got the twin ED lens kit for £300 after £50 cashback a steal. Plus it gets top reviews from the mags and websites.

Hi guys,

i'm now looking at the Nikon D40 and the Nikon D40X. Is the extra 4MP on the D40X worth the extra £90? i'm also looking at the Canon 400D, but it's a little more pricey compaired to the Nikons... so is the Canon worth the extra money?

Thank you for your help so far!!

In reviews the D40x and 400D usually come out around about the same although the D40x usually gets extra points for a better kit lens and metering while the 400D gets extra points for bracketing, DOF preview and AF.

It's up to you which you prefer using really and which lenses you'd rather have access to? Canon has a great bunch and are usually a bit cheaper but Nikon seemed to have the better telephotos... I don't think it's actually a significant difference however, just what you'd prefer.

I'd say the D40x is a better choice than the D40, at least if I had to buy one for keeps that's what I'd choose. It's going to be hard to get a answer you can't base your opinion on as its so subjective - maybe you should flip some coins? :p Actually probably better off playing with some in a shop but try to ignore people who say Canon or Nikon is best as it's just not that simple. They're all great cameras, each with different flaws.

Have you considered a Pentax K10D? just to make your choice a bit more tricky ;)

Those fujis are great, but its still a bridge camera, and its fixed lens, you can only add...attachements to it, theres not really a range of lenses, as such.
A wide angle attaches to the existing lens;)

Ah - I see - now I know what a bridge camera is :LOL:

Highly recommend the E-410 ...

This one has come back into it again now!! :help: :help: :help:

I'm stuck between the E-410, the D40x and the 400D :wacky: :thinking: :shrug: :puke:

I think I prefer the D40x to hold etc... as the Oly doesn't have the grip. Whilst it's not a huge thing, it's something that I think might annoy me a little. But then, my dilemma is that it has live view and would I miss it if I had the Nikon...?

What's the lens range like for the Nikon? Is there a wide range available to me? They said in the shop that there's much more available on the Canon and that they all should fit the 400D, whereas there's a limited amount that will fit the D40x? Would this be a problem?

I'm really puzzled! I don't want to jump into anything though

Sorry for all the questions! After 2 days of shopping for one, I've still come back with nothing!!! :bonk:

Hi Bean, Olym e410 twin lens kit 14-42mm & 40-150mm can be had for around £400ish another good lens Olym 35mm macro around £140, Olym 70-300mm around £250 all give great results. Canon Nikon own lenses will cost around the same why go for third party lenses at theses prices, not forgeting the Olym doubles in focal length 2X eg the 70-300 would be 140-600mm without any converters thats a massive range and all in a small package.

I had the same dilemma a few months ago and it drives you round the twist trying to decide :) In the end I went for a used 350d to get going before upgrading the body in future.

It's a hard choice as they're all decent, The af motor (or lack of) on the Nikon put me off and the crop factor on the Oly. To get a good ultrawide lens on the Oly means spending 1k on the 7-14 lens where the canon/nikon have the choice of 10-20 lenses.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Well guys, I've bitten the bullet and just bought myself a 400d :D

Many thanks to everyone who has helped me, it's much appreciated! :D

:woot: :woot:

Yeah well done you'll be chuffed to buggery - get a 50mm 1.8 :)

if you consider D40 and D40x, I would definitely choose D40, to save the money to buy some accessories or lenses. 6MP is big enough for most purpose.

:D

Well guys, I've bitten the bullet and just bought myself a 400d :D

Many thanks to everyone who has helped me, it's much appreciated! :D

:woot: :woot:

Wahay :) Nice one (y) I dont think you will regret it!

Back