I want a lighter tripod ...or do I

Messages
2,100
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm currently using a Feisol CT3372 as my main tripod and I'm very pleased with it's solidity. It also doubles up as my birding tripod but I'd like to lighten my load; I'm considering replacing the Manfrotto MV500 AH head with a Sirui VA-5 and wondered if I could get away with a lighter leg set. I'm using an ATS80HD with a 25-50 zoom

For photography purposes I'm using a Benro geared head for landscapes which Is like to keep

Any suggestions appreciated...other than go to a gym !
 
I have a light tripod, blew over the other day, luckily only my old smartphone on top which survived.
I've used it for togging before and it did get me thinking.
Being light, it's great for walking and carrying, but when it blows, it goes !
 
Well, with birding it's often just about spotting/ID at distance. "Critical image" isn't as big of an issue, so you can get away with a less clear/sharp (stable) view... So yeah, I think you could get away with a lighter set of legs.
 
I would try the head change on the Feisol first, before changing both variables. For the ATS80, compare at 50x and your normal standing height: focus, take your hand away and watch how long the image takes to settle; then check whether it stays centred when you lock the tilt. That tests the part a payload rating cannot tell you. If you can try lighter legs, repeat the same test with the centre column down. It would also let you keep the Benro landscape setup until you know where the useful weight saving is.
 
I've tried in the past to replace my old Velbon tripod, which weighs 2.2kg, with something lighter, the last one nearly blew over while filming around the Thames at night, in the end I just replaced 3-way panhead with a self levelling ball head, saved a little weight but still got a sturdy tripod.
 
Lightweight tripod is commonly the reason for regret, mostly during image processing, but sometimes a lot worse. You are not dealing with stainless steel setup, it is not that bad. Just the thought of taking my c stand out anywhere does freak me out
 
I’ve got the peak design carbon travel tripod which I’ve always found sturdy and never worried it might topple over, however on looking into your Feisel tripod that’s not a particularly heavy tripod at 1.7kg so you’d only be saving around 400g.
 
I’ve got the peak design carbon travel tripod which I’ve always found sturdy and never worried it might topple over, however on looking into your Feisel tripod that’s not a particularly heavy tripod at 1.7kg so you’d only be saving around 400g.
It is cumulative however - changing the head to the Sirui would save approx 400g plus an additional 400g on the tripod is my thinking
 
Tripods tend to be heavy and stable, or light and wobbly.
You can get strong light ones, but I've always found weight helps with stability. Especially in windy conditions
My mate swears by a string bag and rock on his light Tripod. That said his blew over in a gust and my lump Manfrotto didn't.....
 
Tripods tend to be heavy and stable, or light and wobbly.
You can get strong light ones, but I've always found weight helps with stability. Especially in windy conditions
My mate swears by a string bag and rock on his light Tripod. That said his blew over in a gust and my lump Manfrotto didn't.....
Like many tripods the peak design does allow you to attach weights/a heavy bag so I guess most of the time you could just have the lighter tripod, but if you are going out on a partiularly windy day you could take a bag to stabilise it.
 
Like many tripods the peak design does allow you to attach weights/a heavy bag so I guess most of the time you could just have the lighter tripod, but if you are going out on a partiularly windy day you could take a bag to stabilise it.
I never managed to get anywhere near the desired effect
 
I never managed to get anywhere near the desired effect
I’m not saying it would be perfect but it sounds like a good compromise if on the whole the OP wants to lighten the load (y)
 
Weight is a key factor in stability, and although it might be possible to make a light tripod very rigid, it will still move in the wind. If light weight is most important, hanging your camera bag under the tripod will make it much more stable and less likely to blow over. I have a cheap Amazon carbon tripod with ball head, and with a suspended weight it's quite stable, though I wouldn't try 60 second exposures with it on a beach in a storm.

For birding you might also try a monopod, because it will reduce the wobble a lot, and it's both lighter and easier to reposition quickly.
 
Back
Top