I went to Northumbria with a 2008 10MP EOS 1000D and various canon EF lenses --

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Kirbys Coach Trip from Brentwood to Northumbria staying in South Shields at mouth of River Tyne with excursions to Alnwick Castle, Holy Island, Farne Islands and Craigside House and Estate -- WEATHER was mostly GROTTY with strong Cold WIND, RAIN, Storm which postponed the Farne trip by one day Canon 01.jpgCanon 02.jpgCanon 03.jpgCanon 04.jpgCanon 09.jpgCanon 10.jpg

No being pedantic, but:

Just to correct you there is no such place as Northumbria. You went to South Tyneside, North Tyneside & Northumberland. Always annoys us people up here when they call it 'Northumbria' as it is just laziness.

By the way you were lucky to get to the Farne Islands as the have just reopened in the last couple of weeks, after the bird flu epidemic. They were closed for a long time.

No being pedantic, but:

Just to correct you there is no such place as Northumbria. You went to South Tyneside, North Tyneside & Northumberland. Always annoys us people up here when they call it 'Northumbria' as it is just laziness.
Don’t tell the university or police !!

Always annoys us people up here when they call it 'Northumbria' as it is just laziness.
It's never bothered me - native of 5½ decades now living in the northernmost part of the historic kingdom of Northumbria...

Yeah, who needs a 100mp camera, super :)

They had to call it Northumbria police, because when they amalgamated the old local forces in the 1974 changes, they swallowed up the old Northumberland Constabulary, along with Newcastle City Police, Gateshead Borough Police, some of Durham Constabulary and a couple of other areas.

Northumbria University will always be Newcastle Poly to me.

The Joke going around at the time of its inception was that the wanted to merge it with Newcastle University and call it - Combined University's of Newcastle upon Tyne, C.U.N.T., until someone realised what the acronym would be.

The "joke" has more than a little truth behind it. The plan was to rename Newcastle Poly as City University Newcastle upon Tyne. They got as far as commissioning a logo for stationery etc. That's when the unfortunate acronym was spotted

SORRY -- 'Northumbria' was in the Kirbys Coach Holidays brochure -- great about that 'acronym' didn't know about that !Canon 13.jpgCanon 14.jpg
Craigside House --- I asked if they ever get anything 'knicked' and the answer was 'Unfortunatly YES'

Last edited:
They had to call it Northumbria police, because when they amalgamated the old local forces in the 1974 changes, they swallowed up the old Northumberland Constabulary, along with Newcastle City Police, Gateshead Borough Police, some of Durham Constabulary and a couple of other areas.

Northumbria University will always be Newcastle Poly to me.

The Joke going around at the time of its inception was that the wanted to merge it with Newcastle University and call it - Combined University's of Newcastle upon Tyne, C.U.N.T., until someone realised what the acronym would be.
I was once told that Tyne Tees television was going to be called Tyne Wear And Tees
untill the some one realised what the Acronym would be.

I have a very similar image to the first one from my short stay there several years ago. As for a 10mp camera, people seem to forget that it's not really that long ago (15 years) that Canons flagship model had 16 mp. 99.9% of photographers simply don't need a 50mp camera.

I was once told that Tyne Tees television was going to be called Tyne Wear And Tees
untill the some one realised what the Acronym would be.
It did play an ident called "Three Rivers" (I think it's on YouTube).

The acronym would have gone well with most of the station's output... Although Border was somehow worse. Now TyneTees & Border share a studio for the news - sometimes you can hear sound bleed from one to the other...

And the news studio is now just behind the Metro Centre, on the riverside industrial estate.

A friend and fellow radio ham, up here, used to be a Broadcast Television Engineer for Tyne Tees on City Road, for about 30 years before he retired. That was before they closed down the City Road Studios.

He told me why the High pitched tone was played at close down every night. It was set at a frequency that seemed loud to your brain so that all the people who had fallen asleep in front of the TV would be woken up so they could turn it off and go to bed!

He was also part of the local ham repeater group, so when they were looking for a mast to put one of the repeaters on, he managed to get it put on one of the IBA masts up here, about halfway up (150m), for the princely sum of two bottles of malt whiskey for the two riggers who put it there, the only reason it went at that height, because they couldn't afford a longer length of coax. From that location it had a foot print from the Scottish Borders into North Yorkshire

The last time I was in Cragside, was 40+ years ago on a School Trip. I refuse to have anything to do with the National Trust, I know a few people who were unfortunate to have worked for them.

Back