Ibiza sunset

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys. I am off to ibiza on Monday and am taking my D3300 with kit 18-55mm, tripod, cabled shutter release and filters (grey, orange, blue graduated and a selection of other ones). It's a family holiday so not spending hours upon hours taking photos but the wife does want a some nice sunsets and family photos taken. So, not really having taken many sunsets before apart from ones in the back garden which are not really eye catching, you know a shed, tree usual garden stuff but Ibiza however has the most amazing chance at a fantastic sunset.

I have read up on how to, what best way etc but would like some more input. I will more than likely be on a rocky beach so a chance of some long exposure of sea over rocks. I would rather have some shots with the beach exposed correctly and the sunset itself. IS the best way to point at ground to get exposure then point at sunset and shoot. Would using the grad filter help in this way?

What is the simplest way to do this?

Sorry if it's not explaining enough but I am happy to answer anything you ask me.

Bracket your exposure. If you want nice orange sunsets, the beach will be under exposed. If the beach is properly exposed, the sunset will be over exposed.
A graduated filter should help as it would allow you to expose for the beach but prevent the sunset from over exposing. I don't use grads, so not sure exactly how to calculate what grad you'd need to use. I think you'd check the exposure for the beach and the sunset seperately, and if the difference is 3 stops you'd use a 3 stop grad....
Someone with better experience will be along soon with the correct answers. :)

Don't know what your image editing skills are like, but as Rob says just bracket your exposures, probably from -3 stops to 1 stop over would give you enough to work with and end up with something worthwhile.

As above, you could bracket (take three photos at different exposures) and blend in Photoshop/Lightroom/photomatix, or if your computer skills aren't up to it use graduated filters to darken the sky a bit, there are reverse grads available for sunsets where the darker part is the middle.
If you want people in the foreground with the sunset behind then expose for the sunset and use fill in flash for the people. Make sure they don't move or they'll be blurred and remember to use the flash sync shutter speed.

You don't have to shoot the sun at sunset, you can use the warm light instead and exclude it from the frame. Sidelit seascapes can work very nicely and you'll have less problems with exposure. Also look at how the light shines on the landscape, if it's picking something out like a tree (or anything else that's interesting) you could base the picture around that

The sunsets in Ibiza are stunning.

34033822581_48a42ea1ac_c.jpg

DSC06197 by Gilbo B - Flickr2BBcode LITE

How did you get on?

Back