Ice and icicles

Name
Fi
Edit My Images
Yes
Braved the cold for a little while this morning and got these. I know they are a bit "meh" - any tips on shooting ice are more than welcome!

...and these are the icicles we are cultivating on our porch:

Thanks for looking (y)

Excellent detail in #3 and the formations in #4 are very very nice and well captured. Very Stalactite type (same principal). The leaf and ice shot is very well spotted as they're the same shape. I'd pull the highlights back a touch the leaf.

As for shooting tips, you've done particularly well anyway. #3 is a little bright but then it suits the ice as it's almost like you photographed a piece of amber.

Great series of shots. Be proud of those :)

Excellent detail in #3 and the formations in #4 are very very nice and well captured. Very Stalactite type (same principal). The leaf and ice shot is very well spotted as they're the same shape. I'd pull the highlights back a touch the leaf.

As for shooting tips, you've done particularly well anyway. #3 is a little bright but then it suits the ice as it's almost like you photographed a piece of amber.

Great series of shots. Be proud of those :)

Thanks Ian - you are right about #3 being too bright. I'm guessing the icicle will still be there tomorrow (it's on the car - the yellow is the number plate) so I might re-visit and see if I can do a bit better.

Super sharp shots Fi, ice is a great subject and you've made it look superb.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are very nice, I like no. 1 best, the way the ice mimicks the shape of the leaf, lovely.:clap:

Super sharp shots Fi, ice is a great subject and you've made it look superb.

Thanks Alby - I wasn't very happy with them earlier but looking at them again I can see there are positives. I think I was just a bit disappointed with the results having frozen my butt off to get them!!

They are very nice, I like no. 1 best, the way the ice mimicks the shape of the leaf, lovely.:clap:

Thanks Steve - I'm discovering that half the battle with close up stuff is finding the interesting stuff to photograph. The leaf was a lucky spot :)

I really love no 1. Its excellent what I like most is the way the ice mirrors the shape of the leaf! Well spotted! Great detail on 2 & 4. I have seen quite a lot of icicle pictures recently and the detail in these in right up there. I just think they migh have benefited froma bit more context ie where they were hanging from which is what you have nailed in the first! Hope that makes sense?!?!

I really love no 1. Its excellent what I like most is the way the ice mirrors the shape of the leaf! Well spotted! Great detail on 2 & 4. I have seen quite a lot of icicle pictures recently and the detail in these in right up there. I just think they migh have benefited froma bit more context ie where they were hanging from which is what you have nailed in the first! Hope that makes sense?!?!

Thankyou for the C&C - makes perfect sense to me (y)

I did try keeping what they were hanging from in the frame but as it is our roof it wasn't very attractive. I'm going to try to hunt for more hanging from branches / leaves tomorrow - I think they look better.

Back