Ice Hockey HIFK vs ÄSSÄT

Name
Tomas
Edit My Images
No
Ee ar, here' my very first hockey shots, big thanks to my bud Ville (GooGaBu) for getting me in to the game. Very kind of you sir! (y)

This was fun, I mean really fun, I could get quite addicted but I had not a clue how difficult this sport is to capture.
The ice hall is one that I work in quite frequently and I have saved a successful white balance preset specifically for this arena, however my normal routine doesn't include the inch thick plexi-glass that has a rather nice blue tint to it.

I have much to learn, the sport is fast, faster than I imagined.
There was many great shot opportunities that I was too slow to grab, Ville was on the ball and didn't miss a thing though. Respect to Ville, cheers mate.

1:
3060464293_05a7b063c6_o.jpg

2:
3060464503_c41e70c350_o.jpg

3:
3061301666_92697d3b3e_o.jpg

4:
3060465201_dffa1fa1a9_o.jpg

5:
3060465439_af18d6ca3d_o.jpg

6:
3060465665_724cb23c1e_o.jpg

7:
3060465885_763e3e8367_o.jpg

8:
3060466097_e341fe8609_o.jpg

9:
3061303234_514edd9e7e_o.jpg

nice photos really clear and crisp
good DOF on them as well great work

Hi my first time on the forums, I play ice hockey and am just looking about now to buy an dslr prob gonna get a eos1000. Dont want to pay too much.

What lens etc are you using? These are the types of shots I want to be able to create....

Any info would be great

Rob
p.s not too keen on the guy in the first pictures golden helmet! kinda horrid.

Great set, colours are really vivid and the pictures sharp. You caught the action well with the intense looks on some of the players faces. Number 4 i like most, must have been some scrap! Or was it just a goalmouth scramble. Anyway the red teams player looks well out of it.

my guess would be goalmouth scramble, no players have gloves off and they all have the sticks in their hands.

Hi my first time on the forums, I play ice hockey and am just looking about now to buy an dslr prob gonna get a eos1000. Dont want to pay too much.

What lens etc are you using? These are the types of shots I want to be able to create....

Any info would be great

Rob

Hi Rob,

I shoot Nikon, the lens is an 80-200mm f/2.8, the twin ring version as opposed to the push pull system. They can be bought quite cheaply these days, around the 500-600 quid region.
There is no real substitute for fast lenses, having only f/3.5 or f/4 is not much good at all for ice halls with poor lighting, even in some of the best arena's, these max apertures can really hinder you.
The ISO capability on my camera helps but it's the lens that's most important, that and getting a good white balance.
The 70-200mm f/2.8 VR is a much better lens, sharper, lighter and the colours are way more accurate, twice the price at least however.
T.

Great set, colours are really vivid and the pictures sharp. You caught the action well with the intense looks on some of the players faces. Number 4 i like most, must have been some scrap! Or was it just a goalmouth scramble. Anyway the red teams player looks well out of it.

Cheers(y)

Last edited:
Good work and yep, despite mastering most sports, this game is at another level. Poor light, a tiny puck, movement, colour clashing - everything an action photographer dreads. However, you handled things superbly dude.

Back