Ice Hockey Photography - 2012/2013 Season

I do love NHL on the box but i've never shot ice hockey. It looks tricky at least from the lack of angles I presume are available.

Do you guys find you have more keepers going up high and shooting down, or through the glass?

PS> if you're ever in need of another shooter I'd love to come give it a try some time.

dafphotographer said:
I do love NHL on the box but i've never shot ice hockey. It looks tricky at least from the lack of angles I presume are available.

Do you guys find you have more keepers going up high and shooting down, or through the glass?

PS> if you're ever in need of another shooter I'd love to come give it a try some time.

Majority of my better shots are from the bench, so the same level as the players and without the glass. In my opinion, shooting through the glass is only useful for wider angle action shots as you lose a good amount of sharpness - especially when shooting at even the slightest of angles through it.

Just my opinion - others may have better results than I do.

Where abouts are you?

Makes sense - I don't know why I thought you'd shoot through perspex?!

I'm in London and I know there's a few clubs around. I may well have approached one or two before when I was starting out, I can't really remember.

If anyone here is a club shooter and needs a second shooter any time i'd definitely be interested in helping out. I always relish the challenge of a new sport.

Majority of my better shots are from the bench, so the same level as the players and without the glass. In my opinion, shooting through the glass is only useful for wider angle action shots as you lose a good amount of sharpness - especially when shooting at even the slightest of angles through it.?

I did a lot of ice hockey and the plexi was disgusting.. I used a 300mm from about 5 rows back in the seats.. the focul length (on a crop) shooting just over the plexy made it look like your on a level with the players and you only lose one third of rink that you cant see.. theres enough action to get every player and the only thing you miss is if theres a fight right under you :)

I tried from the bench.. didn't get on with it..

I did a lot of ice hockey and the plexi was disgusting.. I used a 300mm from about 5 rows back in the seats.. the focul length (on a crop) shooting just over the plexy made it look like your on a level with the players and you only lose one third of rink that you cant see.. theres enough action to get every player and the only thing you miss is if theres a fight right under you :)

I tried from the bench.. didn't get on with it..

I did a bit of shooting at some youngster hockey tournaments in the summer at iceSheffield. One side of the rink has seating right up to the glass but finishing halfway up the boards - meaning when you stand there you can actually shoot over the glass but right at the edge of the ice. The smaller crow at the rink meant I could give this a try without impeding anyone's view, so very similar to the view your describing. I'll see if I can dig out some of the shots.

similar to the view your describing. I'll see if I can dig out some of the shots.

Had the plexi not been disgusting hard to see through let alone photo then I would ahve gone through

Over the plexi from a few rows back using a 300mm prime
hawks1.jpg

Over the plexi and a bit closer wiht the 135mm prime
hawks2.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone here is a club shooter and needs a second shooter any time i'd definitely be interested in helping out. I always relish the challenge of a new sport.

Well if you're ever up my end of the world (Sheffield) at any point, let me know and i'll sort you a media pass out for a game.

I am with Dan on this, i too shoot 'bench side' so dont have to worry about the plexi, which can also lose you 1/2 - 1 stop of light. Its not without its risks though with errent pucks always missing the teams (who are fully protected) and somehow heading straight for me :LOL:

Went to my first game of the season last night, then forgot to get my camera out.. Still, its a bit of a shame, as the view I had of the Ling v Lovdahl scrap was a cracker.

Not that I remember. Only thing I was disappointed about in shot 5 is that the puck wasn't in the frame.

Just seen a few of your shots on Twitter of last nights Blaze game. Appears like it was another good night, and Hirsch appears to be facing the wrong direction a few times again.. Although, he didn't have a night as bad as he did against us.

Just seen a few of your shots on Twitter of last nights Blaze game. Appears like it was another good night, and Hirsch appears to be facing the wrong direction a few times again.. Although, he didn't have a night as bad as he did against us.

Must admit i've been neglecting the forum in favour of my Twitter account lately. We need to get ourselves dedicated to this thread again!

Must admit i've been neglecting the forum in favour of my Twitter account lately. We need to get ourselves dedicated to this thread again!

I only saw them on twitter because Jono Bullard of TCW Fanzine mentioned you.

I'm really new to my slr camera and have just started venturing out of sports mode at the ice hockey. Just wondering what settings do you all use in manual?

I seem to either be getting the light right but getting grainy images or good images which are dark/blueish tint.

:help:

I'm really new to my slr camera and have just started venturing out of sports mode at the ice hockey. Just wondering what settings do you all use in manual?

I seem to either be getting the light right but getting grainy images or good images which are dark/blueish tint.

:help:

if you are getting dark/blueish tints then your 'light' isnt quite right, what you are seeing and the camera are seeing are two different things our eys/brains have a fantastic 'auto' white balance mode, sometimes your camera doesnt. Depending on the lights, their temperature they are running at you can get diferrent outcomes, for example at Telford we have brand new shiny bright lights which run at 80% so we have set a CWB to this level, recently they have turned them off when players come out so when the lights come back on they are at 100% - great you may say- no, because the temperature has changed so the CWB you had before no gives a slight orange tinge to any photos so you have to reset your CWB.

So take white balance reading from the ice, white board or if you have an expodisc the light them selves. As for grain what iso are you shooting at, also what aperature and shutter speed as they all play on each other.

Hope I havent complicated things !! :LOL:

Just wondering what settings do you all use in manual?

Personally, I shoot in manual - Shutter @ 1/500, Aperture @ f2.8 or f3.2 (depending on my location), ISO @ 2500. You'll find though that there will be a variety of different setting depending on the location - some will shoot in aperture priority to let the camera do the work with the shutter speed. I find at the Arena I get better results in manual, but do shoot in aperture priority mode in other location depending on the results.

What Steve said for this. Likely problem is the camera not doing a good job of the white balance. Shooting indoors, a manual white balance is an absolute must. The grainy images (as Steve also covers) is likely down to the ISO level.

To understand a little more of why you're getting the outcome you're getting, it would be useful if you could let us know what mode and setting you've shot using as well as the camera and lens so we can go from there.

Last edited:
Gutted... I used to take photos from the stands at the EPL side Manchester Phoenix but then last season they decided to ban fan photography with Pro cameras/lenses :(

Now I have to look at poor images from their "pro" togs....

Gutted... I used to take photos from the stands at the EPL side Manchester Phoenix but then last season they decided to ban fan photography with Pro cameras/lenses :(

Now I have to look at poor images from their "pro" togs....

Or you could use a portfolio of your fan photos, and put a bid together to win that work if the pro images are so poor ?

I can only congratulate them on that. I'd be doing exactly the same if I landed a job of that nature ;)

Had a quick look at the Phoenix website, and whilst I can't comment on the quality of the work it did look like the club (website) is very clear on the position it has on photography. From the look of them (via Flikr) none of the official photographers are hardened sports pros.

Anyway. If you want something badly enough then giving up at the first hurdle is exactly what the photographers are hoping. If they have it sewn up then there is either a financial incentive for the clubs owners/administrators or a personal relationship (family, friends, team coach etc) or they are perceived as delivering exceptional (non-financial) value to the club. It's up to you if you want to push against that with the clubs management - but if you do then you'll need to be prepared for the long game and it might not pan out what ever you can offer.

It is a difficult one. I know i'd feel a bit peeved if I found out someone was gunning for my job so to speak. That being said, if you genuinely feel you could do a better job, there's only one way to deal with it. Have you thought about maybe trying to get added to the team rather than taking their place? That way, you could take the shots you miss taking and if you are doing a much better job, the Club will see that first hand.

As Mike touches on above, sometimes - certainly with minority sports, its not always about the standard of the pictures. Sometimes it a lot more to do with the service beign offerred. I'm one of the lucky few who is paid for my shooting but even though my fee is based on my attendance at matchnight, the work doesn't stop there. I put a number of hours in each week picking out shots, doing a little touching up where required and emailing/uploading them to various places. On top of this, I receive regular requests for specific types of shots, as well as attendance at other functions for no further payment. I'm not suggesting i'm not happy, far from it, but its just an example of the fact that what I do doesn't start and end with a handful of matchnight pictures. If those involved with the Phoenix have a similar kind of approach, that may be what makes them attractive to the club.

Have to agree with steelerdan, I know a couple of the guys up at Phoenix and they are very dedicated in what they do. I finish average 8pm on game nights then off home - upload images proof some for press releases, email these of to our media partners. process other shots for online gallery, along with watermarking a few for Facebook so people can see what is available from the game. Just spent an hour and half getting 6 shots ready for print. Manchester phoenix do explain their stance on photography ( a pet hate of mine whats the difference between a very high end compact Canon and a DSLR equivalent with same pixel count and zoom !!). Also the club maybe trying to 'manage' the quality of their media output, not saying anything wrong with your shots - havent seen any to compare though :)

Have you thought about maybe trying to get added to the team rather than taking their place? That way, you could take the shots you miss taking and if you are doing a much better job, the Club will see that first hand.

^^^ This.

^^^ This.

Definitely.

Having sort of 'fallen' into the post of club photographer for the rugby team I work with, I always welcome other people coming down to help out, it allows there to be more coverage of stuff that the club can use.

Has anyone herd about the new ruling from the eihl that there is no photographers allowed in the penalty box on EPL and ENIHL games. Not good for the official togs. I am trying to find out if there is a way round it. Don't want to shoot through pexi glass

Might be a silly question - but how can the Elite League dictate what happens in the EPL and ENIHL?? Or do you mean EIHA? Or am I missing something completely!! :LOL:

Yep had letter of our team secretary, who is also board member of EIHA. It doesn't ban any togs from bench area or penalty box as such. Its down to the referee on the night; if he is not happy and asks you to move but you don't he can stop the game!! With all the ref's at Telford,so far we haven't been affected (1st week tho). Suggest no one 'hangs' over the side or keeps the lenses in players way (plenty of players with sticks do though) . Wonder if someone has been stupid somewhere!

Last edited:
if you are getting dark/blueish tints then your 'light' isnt quite right, what you are seeing and the camera are seeing are two different things our eys/brains have a fantastic 'auto' white balance mode, sometimes your camera doesnt. Depending on the lights, their temperature they are running at you can get diferrent outcomes, for example at Telford we have brand new shiny bright lights which run at 80% so we have set a CWB to this level, recently they have turned them off when players come out so when the lights come back on they are at 100% - great you may say- no, because the temperature has changed so the CWB you had before no gives a slight orange tinge to any photos so you have to reset your CWB.

So take white balance reading from the ice, white board or if you have an expodisc the light them selves. As for grain what iso are you shooting at, also what aperature and shutter speed as they all play on each other.

Hope I havent complicated things !! :LOL:

Thanks so much for replying. Ill try taking a white balance reading this weekend. I'd varied the white balance but only using the preset settings. I varied my iso during the periods from 800- 3200 andthe lowest aperture I could use was 4.5 I think.

Personally, I shoot in manual - Shutter @ 1/500, Aperture @ f2.8 or f3.2 (depending on my location), ISO @ 2500. You'll find though that there will be a variety of different setting depending on the location - some will shoot in aperture priority to let the camera do the work with the shutter speed. I find at the Arena I get better results in manual, but do shoot in aperture priority mode in other location depending on the results.

What Steve said for this. Likely problem is the camera not doing a good job of the white balance. Shooting indoors, a manual white balance is an absolute must. The grainy images (as Steve also covers) is likely down to the ISO level.

To understand a little more of why you're getting the outcome you're getting, it would be useful if you could let us know what mode and setting you've shot using as well as the camera and lens so we can go from there.

Thanks for the reply. Im gonna try taking the white balance out of theautomatic settings. I shot in a variety of isos up to 3200 and my lowest Aperture was 4.5.

Like I said I am new to slr photography so I've got a Canon eos 1100d. .

Thanks so much for replying. Ill try taking a white balance reading this weekend. I'd varied the white balance but only using the preset settings. I varied my iso during the periods from 800- 3200 andthe lowest aperture I could use was 4.5 I think.

Glad to have helped ( I Hope), f4.5 is 'ok' but what shutter speeds were you getting with that, all 3 photos below were shot at 1/320:f3.2:ISO2500

Tigers v Guildford Flames by Steve Brodie, on Flickr

Post a couple of photos back on here when you have been able to try your 'new' settings out.

Steve

Glad to have helped ( I Hope), f4.5 is 'ok' but what shutter speeds were you getting with that, all 3 photos below were shot at 1/320:f3.2:ISO2500

Post a couple of photos back on here when you have been able to try your 'new' settings out.

Steve

heres some i took this week trying out your advice. thanks, they are a big improvement, i know they're not perfect yet

http://www.flickr.com/photos/booniemoon/8397310695/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/booniemoon/8398398928/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/booniemoon/8397309389/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/booniemoon/8398420284/in/photostream/

A few from Sheffield v Fife on Saturday. Thanks to Dean for the invite/help/advice.

RMT_1749.jpg

RMT_1960.jpg

RMT_2024.jpg

Hi all, ive kind of neglected this thread most of the season so apologies for not posintg in here more often. Myself and my company have taken on alot of work for our local hockey team to try and help push things forward so time is always limited.

Anyway, here's a few shots from me. Finally getting comfy with the D3 and the settings. Thats been helped with the redevelopment of the rink an better lighting.

Defence by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

Goal by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

On The Attack by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

And for anyone that's interested, my media company also produces match highlights from all the clubs home games as well as all other media & PR activities for the club which include press releases, match reports, interviews, fundraising promotion, web work, social media managemtn of the clubs facebook page etc. We do this free of charge and takes up around 2 full days a week of our time so I can understand when people talk about time they dedicate to the clubs they work for.

If charged out at base rate their bill would exceed £22,000! But we do it because we want to improve Telford Tigers Ice Hockey. As an ex-player I want to see the club develop and push up the league. Its a massively hard slog, and sometimes we feel a little unappreciated. But, we love the game, we love the team and want to see them succeed.

Here's a recent highlights reel of our win over the Basingstoke Bison from a few weeks ago. Just to bring the game into context, Tigers were bottom and Bison wee top!

Match Highlights: http://youtu.be/hwefXwwfXqs

Last edited:
Back