Ice Hockey Photography - 2013/2014 Season

Hi all - I follow the Bracknell Bees (my son plays for them) and I usually go to all the home games.

I'm hoping to get some good shots of the action this season.

The ice is being cut...

IMG_1327 by DRounding, on Flickr

Last edited:
Here's a few of my shots from the Bracknell Bees friendly cup game against the Slough Jets last night.
Not the best, but captured some of the action.

I find it difficult to shoot action sports in low light with my kit (Canon 400D with 18-135mm and 55-250mm) so I have to compromise on quality. I normally shoot in Tv with a speed set at 1/250th to 1/320th on ISO 3200 (hacked) and then noise reduce in LR. Any tips to get the best out of what I have is welcome.

IMG_2268-1 by DRounding, on Flickr

IMG_2304-4 by DRounding, on Flickr

IMG_2311-19 by DRounding, on Flickr

IMG_2364-22 by DRounding, on Flickr

IMG_2366-23 by DRounding, on Flickr

IMG_2358-21 by DRounding, on Flickr

Last edited:
Heres a couple from the UK Forums 'Allstars' event in July,

9377452891_1d8a89f60d_c.jpg

9377448981_fa09a8442c_c.jpg

9380234010_a632b2fb90_c.jpg

9380232380_31ed4039f8_c.jpg

Hopefully I'll get a few more matches under my belt this year..

Hey,

Just getting some practice shots in ready for Sunday which will be my first attempt at taking shots at a game (Deeside).

These are from a Training session at Widnes:

BW5A0124.jpg

BW5A0139.jpg

BW5A0213.jpg

A question.. AI Focus or AI Servo? Which is better?

Cheers
Euge

I personally find that standard focusing works best for me at the goals. There can be quite a lot of sudden action that can confuse the Ai servo. That said I'll be trying my new 70D out on Sunday to see how it fares.

A few of the set from the Bracknell Bees vs Milton Keynes Lightning on Sunday at Bracknell. These were taken with my new 70D, just starting to slowly get my head around it. Vastly superior to my old 400D for speed of focussing and low light capability.

You can view the full set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/duncanrounding/sets/72157635798863286/

IMG_0533-2 by DRounding, on Flickr

IMG_0552-26-6 by DRounding, on Flickr

IMG_0676-56-46 by DRounding, on Flickr

IMG_0690-48 by DRounding, on Flickr

IMG_0694-58-49 by DRounding, on Flickr

IMG_0592-39-23 by DRounding, on Flickr

Last edited:
A few of the set from the Bracknell Bees vs Milton Keynes Lightning on Sunday at Bracknell. These were taken with my new 70D, just starting to slowly get my head around it. Vastly superior to my old 400D for speed of focussing and low light capability.

Yep thats mad a big difference :) couple look a bit under exposed, but see you shot at iso 6400 must be a coal mine in their!

You could drop the shutter speed down a couple of steps, that would still give you a good speed 1/400 and more light.

Yep thats mad a big difference :) couple look a bit under exposed, but see you shot at iso 6400 must be a coal mine in their!

You could drop the shutter speed down a couple of steps, that would still give you a good speed 1/400 and more light.

Thanks Steve.
I've a new lens on order. I've been using the Canon 18-135mmm but have ordered a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 that I'm hoping will help a lot and let me drop the ISO still further as well.

Do you shoot with IS off?

And the Steelers v Nottingham Panthers game from a few weeks ago:-

That reminds me, I need to speak to Katie about getting down to the NIC to do some stuff. :D

Great set Dean. I presume you're shooting from the penalty box?

Those are from the players bench. I tend to shoot from there or concourse, with the odd time through the plexi from the corners to change it up a little.

On the Nikon I always use continuous focus/tracking option and d9 - 3 x 3 grid. found this is the best option at the moment, but will try 3D tracking. i also use the 'back focus' method.

I gave 3D tracking a whirl last season. Turned it off about 2 minutes after I turned it on as it wasn't working for me at all. I stick with single point focusing for the hockey.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments about my set - very much appreciate. Lets not forget however that i'm sure i'm dealing with much better lighting in Sheffield Arena than other places, so I am very lucky on that front!

Nice sharp shots Steve. I'll be giving my new Sigma 70-200 f2.8 a go on Sunday. Looking forward to getting a lower iso.

I ahve Photographed a lot of ice hockey.. But nothing for over 2 and a half years... my first game since then this sunday . Blackburn Hawks v Billingham... so will be first time wiht 1dx.. also I favoured the 300 before shooting from a few rows back and over the really nasty orrible hardly see through plexi.. No 300 anymore so will have to change my tact..

tempted to come up, which is a good block to get tickets in ?

Are you talking about to Bracknell? If so then it depends who you're supporting. Away supporters are in block 2 downstairs - not a great view, and through the plexiglass. Home supporters anywhere else, depending on your preference for goal ends or sides.

Last edited:
Are you talking about to Bracknell? If so then it depends who you're supporting. Away supporters are in block 2 downstairs - not a great view, and through the plexiglass. Home supporters anywhere else, depending on your preference for goal ends or sides.
Duh, had not seen your earlier posts :bonk: just the last one and guessed you were talking about Basingstoke Bisons due to your location :nono: so no I was not talking about Braknell.

Not a big fan of any particular side but got interested when a friend of a friend explained all as the Stanley cup was on when we visited them in Vancouver a few years back

Take Down;

Take Down by Steve Brodie, on Flickr

Telford Tigers (Orange) Owen Bennet and Sheffield Steel Dogs (Blue) Callum Pattison get ‘acquainted’ during Sundays ice hockey match, Guys in background are respective coaches of each team, Tom Watkins (tigers) and Andre Payette (Steeldogs)

© Copyright Steve Brodie / Telford Tigers. This image may not be used or reproduced in any format without the prior written consent of Steve Brodie.

Last edited:
Great shot Steve, you caught that one at the perfect moment.

There's often some action watching the Steeldogs, with the lens on Payette it's likely to catch 'interesting' moments :). They're playing at the Hive this Sunday.

Here's one from the Bracknell Bees against the Slough Jets last Sunday. Not the best focussing dof unfortunately (still trying to get the best from my new setup) but I thought it was fun.

IMG_1122-15 by DRounding, on Flickr

Really like that one of Doug...

He was 'having words' with Hicks. Only thing I was disappointed with was I couldn't get in a position to get Hicks in the shot too. Too many players crowding round.

Thats the one problem if someone is moaning at the ref..

Back