Ice Hockey photography thread - 2011/2012 season - Post your shots here

He is, along with Richard Murray from Cardiff. Both are great photographers and i'm extremely grateful to them both for the time they spend giving me tips each night.

Excellent - couple of good guys to get advice from, I know them both well. Ask Rik to take you up on the walkways in the roof - amazing shooting position from up there (not that I've ever done it - I hate heights!). Say hi to both of them from me when you next see them.

Afraid i'm with you on the walkways. He did offer early on in the season but I just can't make myself do it - petrified of heights!!

Do you ever get up to Sheffield to shoot?

Afraid i'm with you on the walkways. He did offer early on in the season but I just can't make myself do it - petrified of heights!!

Do you ever get up to Sheffield to shoot?

Occasionally, but I tend to leave my camera at home and enjoy the hockey when I go to away games :)

Absolutely. Was so grateful to the other photographer for spending 15 minutes with me before the game. Even set a manual white balance too which obviously went towards the quality of the images. Very happy and hoping as my general shooting standard improves, the new settings will help show that.

Can definitely see an improvement in your shots Dean, exposure looks spot on and they are tac sharp mate. Bet you'll always shoot full manual from now on eh!! (y)

hewhoknows said:
Can definitely see an improvement in your shots Dean, exposure looks spot on and they are tac sharp mate. Bet you'll always shoot full manual from now on eh!! (y)

Absolutely! Goodbye aperture priority mode!!

6394112645_a4bcfe2982_m.jpg
6394110789_df3899450a_m.jpg

A couple from last nights Devils v Stingrays game !

I seriously need to get back into doing some sports stuff. Been to several hockey matches so far this season (last one was the Panthers OT loss at the Arena :( ), don't know whether I can be bothered to take my camera to any at the moment though.

Telford Tigers entertained the GB u20's last night in a friendly game to ready the team for the up and coming world champs. Tigers player coach, Tom Watkins took control of the GB team with several key Tigers players also putting on the red, white and blue of GB. Tigers had a few guests to make up the numbers but still ended up running out on the wrong side of a 1-5 scoreline.

Here's a few shots i got of the evening

D7K_9820 by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

D7K_9802 by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

D7K_9720 by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

Lukes Goal by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

D7K_9775 by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

D7K_9699 by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

Hardly any processing done on these, quick denoise and sharpen and some levels adjustment. Am getting things pretty decent in camera now which is really cuttng down my PP time when home which is pleasing :)

Hardly any processing done on these, quick denoise and sharpen and some levels adjustment. Am getting things pretty decent in camera now which is really cuttng down my PP time when home which is pleasing :)

Very nice set

:-( still not happy with mine, think i fubard my settings up and cant get anything close to what i want - ;-) send me your U1 lol Haha.

Going up top Sunday - maybe better light from there than on the ground and hopefully my coffee filter 'wb' will be here by then as well.
....and damm you - we both missed the hit of the night - Dec was wincing when the check came in :)

Nice shots - ice is nice and white, and the colours are vivid. Did you use an Expodisc for your white balance? Always nice when you can get your settings right to minimise PP time.

Good to see Peasey iced last night - he needs the exercise :LOL:

Nice shot of Ross Venus there mate, we get to see alot of him lately and he has been putting in some good performances at Telford

Cheers. You've got a few of our ex-players; Ross, Joe Henry, Jack & Tommy Watkins, Brucey. Really should get up to a game in Telford next time we don't have a game.

Nice shots - ice is nice and white, and the colours are vivid. Did you use an Expodisc for your white balance? Always nice when you can get your settings right to minimise PP time.

Good to see Peasey iced last night - he needs the exercise :LOL:

Yeah I had an expodisc, they are real handy. I borrowed one of a friend (TP member ::MD::) to replace a cheper version i bought a week earlier and they really do help, got perfect WB from it.

@Steve, the blue seems to have turned out pretty good mate, nice set (y)

Just got in from the game, so here are a few from tonight's 5-5 draw in our Challenge Cup game against Nottingham.

xMCT2247-XL.jpg

xMCT2283-XL.jpg

xMCT2304-XL.jpg

xMCT2439-XL.jpg

xMCT2449-XL.jpg

xMCT2623-XL.jpg

Mostly shot with 70-200 f/2.8 IS II. Still got a couple of bulbs out in the Skydome, but the light's generally still very good.

Mark.

How much (if any) cropping do you tend to do with your pictures Mark?

The 1st and 4th pics are quite heavily cropped. If you compare the 4th and 5th pics, they were actually taken with the 135 f/2 prime, so the 5th pic is closer to the actual scale (if you see what I mean?).

With the 135 I crop a fair bit, as you'd imagine, but with the zoom I tend not to. I actually prefer shooting with the prime lenses these days, but the 200 f/1.8 is too big to be practical on the players bench.

The 1st and 4th pics are quite heavily cropped. If you compare the 4th and 5th pics, they were actually taken with the 135 f/2 prime, so the 5th pic is closer to the actual scale (if you see what I mean?).

With the 135 I crop a fair bit, as you'd imagine, but with the zoom I tend not to. I actually prefer shooting with the prime lenses these days, but the 200 f/1.8 is too big to be practical on the players bench.

To still have the kind of quality pictures you have even when heavily cropped is extremely impressive. I think that's the real limitation for me at the minute with an entry level D3100 - noise even at 1600 iso is extremely noticeable when doing some cropping and reducing the image size.

To still have the kind of quality pictures you have even when heavily cropped is extremely impressive. I think that's the real limitation for me at the minute with an entry level D3100 - noise even at 1600 iso is extremely noticeable when doing some cropping and reducing the image size.

That's one of the big advantages with the mk IV that I've just got. Went from 10MP in the mk III to 16MP in this one. Makes a big difference with the ability to crop. It does seem pretty clean at high ISO too - those pics are all at ISO 2500.

That's one of the big advantages with the mk IV that I've just got. Went from 10MP in the mk III to 16MP in this one. Makes a big difference with the ability to crop. It does seem pretty clean at high ISO too - those pics are all at ISO 2500.

Ah well, hopefully the day will come when I can start getting a bit of income from my shooting and pick myself a nice shiny Nikon D3S up - might be a little while though! My D3100 is doing a good job of getting some experience I suppose.

I tend to crop the vast majority of my images too, some are a small crop but some can be half the original image. Again I agree with the advantages of having a 16mp sensor the D7000 gives me and its ability to cope well under high ISO settings. I too generally shoot at around ISO2500

hewhoknows said:
I tend to crop the vast majority of my images too, some are a small crop but some can be half the original image. Again I agree with the advantages of having a 16mp sensor the D7000 gives me and its ability to cope well under high ISO settings. I too generally shoot at around ISO2500

When you do your more severe cropping, do you have to do a lot of work afterwards i.e. noise reduction, sharpening etc?

That first pic of Joe scoring is a cracking photo.

Can you crop it any closer in? I'd be interested in seeing it as a close up of the goal, maybe with the goalie at the left of the frame, and just inside the right hand post as the right.

Great capture :)

That first pic of Joe scoring is a cracking photo.

Can you crop it any closer in? I'd be interested in seeing it as a close up of the goal, maybe with the goalie at the left of the frame, and just inside the right hand post as the right.

Great capture :)

Good idea, will sort out tonight and post up. Thanks for the very kind comments

I was wondering why there's that one new pane of clear glass at Braehead.....

GRA_0114.jpg

Excuse the blurriness, but I was in the process of getting out the way at the time :LOL:

Hey, that's my team (the Blaze), not the Steelers!

It's bad enough we lost in the final 45 seconds, let alone to be accused of coming from Sheffield :)

Back