Ice Hockey

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Well at last I finally got to take my camera to an ice hockey game, I have emailed 3 clubs on quite a few occasions trying to get to snap these guys and after 4 years of getting nowhere fast
finally got in to snap a game at Bradford V Manchester

I knew the lighting was dire after talking to someone who has done some ice hockey in the past
anyway undaunted off I went and he was not joking the ring was lit fairly patchy with uneven lighting causing Chaos with white balance settings so shot every thing in Raw as I normally do

I am loathe to shoot at high ISO but with the lighting being bad and very variable shot mainly at ISO 1600 tried a few at 1250 but were blurred
also shot a fair few at 3200

used 2 cameras 40d hooked up with my 85mm F1.8 and my 1 series camera hooked upto my 200mm f1.8
would like to shoot these guys in a slightly better lit rink - but getting in too shoot it all was quite a result, as the other 3 teams I tried did not want to know at all
so thanks to Mr butler for allowing me access
anyway guys/gals a few of the better ones that I like from the game
421572165_2Gzk9-L.jpg

421572201_bRaE3-L.jpg

421573028_UYDc4-L.jpg

421572391_oiFBn-L.jpg

421572337_ppbhi-L.jpg

421572913_dTUkM-XL.jpg

419981555_tFXS2-L.jpg

421572853_Mzoki-L.jpg

thanks for looking
Chris

Last edited:
Lovely bright shots.
Like no2 best. Pity No1 wasn't a bit tighter.
I think 3 players in shot, close, make best pix.
Also like the ice spray in no3.
Very good effort.
Can you give a little more info on exactly which lens / setting were used on each shot ?

Lovely bright shots.
Can you give a little more info on exactly which lens / setting were used on each shot ?

all shots except 4 were shot at 200mm F1.8 Iso 1600 ex comp +2/3

shot 4 was taken at ISO 3200 at 85mm F1.8 shutter speed 1/1000 which was about the fastest shutter speed I acheived all night... but I really do not like ISO 3200
thanks for replying guys
Diego... Boxing is another sport I would give both arms to shoot
cheers Chris

Good run for a first go at the sport... I guess you have been watching the game before, so that might have possibly helped you to point the camera to the right direction.

3 and 6 would be my personal favs (although from experience I know they are not shots for newspapers..) shame that the heads have been chopped in both..:shrug:

2 is very nice as well.. .and as mentioned 1 would've benefitted from a tighter crop.

4, 5 and 7 are OK, just don't work for me - nothing in particular that's wrong with them.

Can't believe you had such difficulties in getting to shoot at a rink. You weren't demanding £1000's for your photos or anything were you ;)
I would think hockey teams would love to get shots taken at their games and have them possibly at their site.

GooGabu
I guess you being in Finland that they have a lot more ice hockey than here in the Uk
the teams just dont want to know - ice hockey in the Uk is a small sport and as such gets very little news paper coverage on the whole

as for watching the game before (NO) I have never seen a match in my life so it was all new for me, but must say I take my hat off to these young guys, they take some punishment getting shoulder charged off the ice etc
it is a very exciting spectator sport and will definatly go back (should they allow me)
I have given the organizes some pics for ther website and they seem pretty please with them so hopefully I might get back for another session

as for cropping of the one's posted - its a case of personal preference of how I like to crop my pics and am happy with the results
of course I wish the lighting would of been considerably better, but hey thats the challenge of shooting these sports
thanks for your input
Chris

GooGabu
I guess you being in Finland that they have a lot more ice hockey than here in the Uk
the teams just dont want to know - ice hockey in the Uk is a small sport and as such gets very little news paper coverage on the whole

Yeap, we sure do have more hockey here.
But just the fact that it is such a minor sport in the UK, was what made me think that they would love to get some photos to show at their site.

I know that any minor sport here in Finland would jump at the opportunity to get photos to taken in their games. Would not probably get paid for them... but still.

Good to see some Ice Hockey shots. I start training again on monday night and will hopefully get to speak to someone to let me take some photo's aswell.

I think I prefer your first shot the most, captures the sport really well.

I cant believe your settings..

I shoot Ice Hockey and the lighting forces me to have iso 3200 and shutter speeds of 1/250 or 1/320 ... thats at f2.8 you shouldnt be compalining at what your getting.

Nice bright pics BTW :)

Cheers Mr Kipax
I dont think using an F2.8 lens in the bradford arena would give many good keepers even at ISO 3200
I actually shot a few set of frames off at F2 and there was too much blur in the fast motion shots (unusable) and I really do not like what I see at ISO 3200 even after running the files through Noise reduction software

really would not like to shoot at that Location with only F2.8 at hand, would like to see what the lighting is like with some of these bigger teams
I was looking on other sites today at ice hockey and the lighting for the bigger teams looks better and some of the pics wre shot using f2.8 lenses with lower ISO and faster shutter speeds

but I cannot complain I wanted to shoot some ice hockey and I did!!
cheers Chris

Back