Non UK Iceland dilemma

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Been trying to book up to visit Iceland but still unsure when to go :( I was going to book to go in February as it's mine and the Mrs birthday, to hopefully see the Northern lights and lots of snow, but I've been reading that some of the roads get closed if it's severe weather, could get stuck in a snow storm for hours and not much daylight. So I was thinking book up for May but then there's no chance of seeing the Northern lights but there's lots of daylight

Has anyone been in February and what's the driving conditions like? and how cold is it?

I've been in February, for me the sunrise/sunset times were perfect* and the nights long and dark enough for northern lights possibility.

*late enough you can get breakfast in before going out to take pictures. Days are then long enough to allow you to get places and sunset is early enough that you can get to your hotel, shower and eat at a sensible time.

The climate is remarkably similar to ours. Iceland is warmed by the gulf steam, but the wind makes it feel colder. With regard to getting stuck, it is the winds that close the roads, not the snow.

A 4x4 with studded tyres and good driving will keep you going along the main ring road safely even after heavy snowfall. Blizzard conditions can be dizzying, so stop for a break if you don't enjoy it, and if winds are dangerously high, also stop.

I say go for it in February, but if the forecast worsens plan to get back towards Reykjavik in good time. Maybe plan your last night to be in Reykjavik, or even closer to Keflavik airport if you are worried. You might go in February and not see any snow of course, but if you do Iceland in winter is epic.

Three years ago I and the OH spent 7 days on the Snæfellsnes peninsula in late February and loved every minute of it. My main objective was to see Killer whales, which luckily we did a few times. We had sunshine, freezing conditions, winds and heavy snow. The perimeter road was open all the time we were there, we lapped the peninsular a couple of times with no problems. The hire car was just a Kia estate with winter tyres on and all went well even when there was 2 inch of snow on the roads.
Saw the NL a few times, so thoroughly enjoyed our late February visit......BUT the day after we left Iceland, I saw that the road we used to return to the airport was closed for the day.......so if you do go in February I would book your last night near the airport just in case! When we booked I was aware we were taking a 'small' gamble with the weather.
We have been in October, February, May and April twice.....with late April giving us the worst weather conditions, that said we were up in the Westfjords.

As you say, February gives you a better chance of the NL and May gives you more day time to explore.......so Feb this year and May next year;);)

As @Craig_85 has said. 4x4 with studded tyres will keep you going in most conditions. We went through some extreme blizzards where you literally had to use the bright orange posts on either side of the road to guide you, but slow and steady and you’ll be fine. Also, the snow ploughs patrol the roads very regularly so we found waiting for one and sitting in behind it worked a treat. For us it only seems to be the mountain roads as you leave the Reykjavik area were the bad ones, once through to Selfoss we were fine.

Back