Iceland Equipment List

I've flown 2 times with icelandair with a camera bag and laptop bag with no problems but I have seen people being checked

I couldn't work out when you're actually going, and whether the Northern Lights are in scope. (Did I miss that somewhere?)

But anyway, in the spirit that this thread could be useful for other people: When I went to Iceland and to Norway in the winter, I was really really glad that I remembered to put my thermal wool insoles in my boots. Your feet can get *really* cold when you're standing around in the snow waiting for the aurora to show.

you can always buy those heat pad liner things for your boots (like the one use hand warmer things that stay warm for hours) - can't say they are amazing, but always good to have another layer to protect against the cold (a whole sock made of it would be better as the top of my foot gets cold, I seem to have terrible circulation now I am older). and/or buy some Icelandic wool socks

It'll go very smoothly. It always does. ;)

Yes Stewart, it did indeed go smoothly, it's a shame you did not want to donate the 14mm to me :p

I've been looking into flights from Gatwick and the options are Wow, Easyjet and Icelandair - it looked like Easyjet had a more generous hand luggage policy with a larger size allowance and unlimited weight compared to Icelandair (limited to 10kg). What was your experience with Icelandair like in practice, as I would probably prefer to avoid Easyjet?

I have now flown Easyjet, Wow and Icelandair and would prefer to avoid Easyjet in the future. I did not like flying from Luton - the atmosphere in the airport was a stress bomb (and its £2.50 just to drop someone off, not very near at all to the entrance). they also flew us back into a different terminal at Gatwick so my pick up (father dearest) had to move his car. In terms of actual flight quality, that was fine, but that side of it put me off. If the price is right I would choose Icelandair first, as it's got baggage included, but was perfectly happy with Wow. Having said that I don't tend to go all out on hand luggage so I've never really worried about weight, I don't know how heavy my hand luggage/camera bag was (although my rental car thought it was heavy enough to be a person and beeped at me to put on their seat belt, I was most confused and took me ages to work out what the beeping was!) but my bag was not weighed. A large part of me wants to use Wow or Icelandair just to serve the Icelandic economy, but that may be because I am obsessed :)

Thanks for the airline info Dan. Icelandair will probably be our preference, if we feel we'll be within the hand luggage limits. We've previously been up to the 10kg Virgin limit plus separate toploaders (as the "small camera bag" they allow) and "handbags" so we are aware we have alot of equipment that we won't put in the hold. Some kit rationalisation may be required!

Thanks for the airline info Dan. Icelandair will probably be our preference, if we feel we'll be within the hand luggage limits. We've previously been up to the 10kg Virgin limit plus separate toploaders (as the "small camera bag" they allow) and "handbags" so we are aware we have alot of equipment that we won't put in the hold. Some kit rationalisation may be required!

Icelandair and Wow just felt like a better experience. Sounds like you have way more kit than me so you'll have other things to think of i guess. I don't know if icelandair allow the 'hand bag' extra small bag.

So much to think of when planning what to take if theres cameras involved - never mind all thse 100ml of liquids and face creams nonsense :)

oh and whoever it was who suggested the shower cap - good work, this came in VERY handy at Seljalandsfoss!

I went last year and had no trouble with EasyJet, although I had speedy boarding just so I had first dibs for space. I would also take a longer lens and if your looking for the lights a fast wide angle lens would be essential imho (I used my 24mm F3.5 and it was good enough (n)) I think wellies and waterproofs are a good idea especially if you at the ice beach and a warm jacket as your be standing about a bit. But overall have a great time whenever you go and just enjoy the lights as they are so spectacular.

Coat
Warm Socks
Gloves
Sledge
Hand Warmers
Flask of Chicken Soup
Scooby Doo Ear Muffs

OO sorry you mean camera List ahh... Ok

Yes yours looks ok :)

Coat
Warm Socks
Gloves
Sledge
Hand Warmers
Flask of Chicken Soup
Scooby Doo Ear Muffs

OO sorry you mean camera List ahh... Ok

Yes yours looks ok :)
Thanks for the input. People who have been to Iceland have far one up on me so tips on everything is highly appreciated as well!

I could add what NOT to take / do... don't go to Vik Beach and get your camera bag out, you'll end up with loads of black sand on and in all your equipment :p

I could add what NOT to take / do... don't go to Vik Beach and get your camera bag out, you'll end up with loads of black sand on and in all your equipment :p

i can also recommend not driving on wet tarmac in your rental car.... THERE WERE NO WARNING SIGNS.

Not exactly photography related but there's an app called " appy hour " for iPhone and i think android which gives you a list and times of all the happy hours in bars in Reykjavik , :beer:
Also would recommend good waterproof clothing as it can be extremely wet and windy when out and about.

Speaking of appy apps, there is also 'whappy' app from IFAW which shows all whale friendly places in Reykjavik including

• Find whale friendly restaurants that don’t serve whale meat
• Book responsible whale watching and other wildlife friendly excursions
• Purchase fun, whale friendly souvenirs
• Learn more about species of whale and dolphin around Iceland

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appfellas.whappyice&hl=en

public service announcment over.

when it comes to booze - buy it in duty free before you leave the airport (has someone already mentioned this?) as its cheaper than anywhere in town. im not a big drinker myself so this sisnt something on the top of my list, but i recommend to others (i've only had about 3 alcoholic drinks there in my 5 visits, but plenty of hot dogs :) )

Looking to secure some items in the Christmas sales. So are we saying soft edge grads are preferable over hard edge?

Not sure on Grads for Iceland, there is never anything "level" to line up against. (IMO etc)

I took ND8 /10 for the cliché waterfall & swirly beach shots :)

I will echo what the guys have mentioned about waterproofing your gear as best as possible. Especially if you are planning to do a lot of seascape/waterfall stuff. I trashed my zeiss lens and had to do some impromptu servicing of my D800 to remove moisture and salt!!!.
Saw quite a few other people's gear take a soaking too, not to mention the sand abuse!!.

Wow really, I had no idea it would be that wet! What would you guys recommend in terms of water proofing equipment? Nothing too expensive as I'll probably only use it for this trip.

You don’t need anything special just use some common sense I take a few bin liners just in case you get a sudden downpour and just put it over the whole camera and tripod.

A small umbrella for keeping the spray off and an Op tech rain sleeve £5.99.

Keep a small towel handy and lots of cleaning cloths.

Wow really, I had no idea it would be that wet! What would you guys recommend in terms of water proofing equipment? Nothing too expensive as I'll probably only use it for this trip.

When we go again, I'll be taking an OpTech rain sleeve or two - relatively cheap and better than just a bin liner (not a lot better but probably worth it!) Being older and less agile than RichieTee and Paul100 above, I didn't go climbing on the 'bergs on the ice beach so avoided the splashes that caught Richie out. I may have missed a couple of shots but got plenty of others. I would be tempted to take a pair of waders too since I reckon a combination of them and a properly waterproof camera/lens (Nikon 1AW), some different shots could be possible. (I reckon Paul100 would have been glad of something longer than wellies in March!!! ;))
Could be worth having a non photographer spotter for incoming waves - that sea water is fufufufreezing! However, you're not often very far from your vehicle if/when you get caught. Oh, keep a set of dry clothes in the car just in case!
The weather and light there can change in an instant and the dramatic skies are epic! A great backdrop for waves crashing against cliffs.
Might have linked to some of these already but here are my Flickred ones. https://www.flickr.com/photos/56065759@N00/albums/72157662118907319

I see @zeb has mentioned wellington boots for the beach but if your going to do any walking or go in the ice caves you'll have walking boots. If so it's a good idea to use gators as this will stop snow getting into the tops of your boots. It's also a good idea to take a set ice chains for your feet it can make all the difference. This sort of thing. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cleats-Cram...51146316&sr=1-1&keywords=ice+chains+for+boots

I second waders on the beach :coldfeet:. To be fair, its just using common sense and being aware of your situation. I found the beach fantastic but so frustrating as you compose the shot, then another wave comes along and your running back again. Great fun watching others though. I don't think climbing the icebergs was a good choice as I nearly got in trouble :asshat:

Here you go @paul100. Caught in the act!!! :D
DSC_2322 by Rich Smith, on Flickr
DSC_2323 by Rich Smith, on Flickr
DSC_2325 by Rich Smith, on Flickr
DSC_2326 by Rich Smith, on Flickr

@Nod. I literally have just remembered i was oing to send you some pics so i will endeavour to get this done over the next week :)

Salt spray is the main reason i would make sure your gear is waterproofed as best as possible. My tripod will never be the same again and the unprotected screws on my D800 needed changing through corrosion. I also go water inside the view finder and on the aperture blades of my zeiss lens :(

Thanks RichieTee, for those memories :eek: i could of spend days in the area. i think it was a destructive tour for you though.

Thanks RichieTee, for those memories :eek: i could of spend days in the area. i think it was a destructive tour for you though.

Me too mate. I would have been there day after day waiting for that perfect sunrise or sunset. We will get it next time hey ;)

Yeah it was a bit. The zeiss has been fixed once and now it's gotta Ho back again as its playing up so it's been costly lol. Would do it all again though without hesitation :D

My recent trip to Iceland, in terms of 'keeper' images:

upload_2015-12-27_17-3-45.png

Previous trip took NDs, didn't bother this trip. (both November)

take a head torch
good tripod
less good tripod you'll actually want to carry more than 20m from the car
shower caps are good and a great trick but tbh I find just a big poly bag is a bit easier - I can be slightly cavalier with my weather sealed top end gear mind, and I know what my gear can and can't handle rain wise

Last edited:
Well, if we're posting pix of Paul getting his feet wet... Well, the moment that Paul realised that the sea was cold and wet and about to invade his walking boots!

GN1_0275.jpg

No, my nuts remained dry and warm! That shot was on the beach just West of the lighthouse near Vik and there was a higher spot in the middle of the tiny beach. IIRC, Paul switched to his wellies later that day. Can't think why!!! (BTW, on the original, you can see that he's laughing [almost manically!])

basegreen makes a very good point. Fabulous as our shots from assorted trips may be, they simply can't show the sheer scale of the place, just help us drag the memories up.

Back