Iceland Kit

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
So, in 3 weeks I'm off to Iceland for 4 days. I've just started thinking about what kit to take with me and have begun to wonder whether I should rent some lenses to get the best photography experience I can out there. I currently own a 24-105mm, 70-300mm L, 14mm Samyang 2.8, Sigma 24-70mm 2.8. Now this covers pretty much all the focal ranges I'll need, however, I want to make sure I've got the right kit for the job. Do you think it would be worth renting a 16 - 35mm 2.8? This would possibly improve my landscape shots, but also it may be better to have an automatic focus (unlike the Samyang) for the northern lights shots. Has anyone else ever been at this time of year and can offer some advice on if they used some lenses more than others and why?

Your kit is fine af for the northern lights is a waste of time. More importantly have you got a decent tripod!

Stevelmx5 - Yeah wasn't sure if the lights were bright enough for the camera to autofcus on. In that case it sounds like the 14mm 2.8 should be fine!

a1ex2001 - Yes I have a Manfrotto 055, so should be good. I've heard it can get pretty windy! :)

Just back from Iceland.

-13 degrees or lower in the mountains at night, so be prepared.
I took my 5d mk3, canon 24-105 lens, cable release, tripod, cleaning stuff for the lens and plentiful memory cards.

Saw 5 auroras, 1 small one on the second night, a faint horseshoe one on the second, and as I was packed up a very bright horizon to horizon green one on night 2 that danced for 20 seconds, plus 2 other very faint ones on night 3.

All green but the dancing one had colour while it danced though.

800 ISO was a bit grainy at 12 seconds exposure, but the ground was snow covered as were the mountains so these are in great detail.
Manual focus set to infinity.

I did 3 test shots to check everything was ok, and then just waited.........and waited.......................and waited.

But heck, it was well worth it for the bright green dancing one.

Enjoy the trip
Dave

So, in 3 weeks I'm off to Iceland for 4 days. I've just started thinking about what kit to take with me and have begun to wonder whether I should rent some lenses to get the best photography experience I can out there. I currently own a 24-105mm, 70-300mm L, 14mm Samyang 2.8, Sigma 24-70mm 2.8. Now this covers pretty much all the focal ranges I'll need, however, I want to make sure I've got the right kit for the job. Do you think it would be worth renting a 16 - 35mm 2.8? This would possibly improve my landscape shots, but also it may be better to have an automatic focus (unlike the Samyang) for the northern lights shots. Has anyone else ever been at this time of year and can offer some advice on if they used some lenses more than others and why?

TBH, unless you can see a big difference in image quality at the final use stage (big print? Small screen? enprint?), I'd leave the 24-70 f/2.8 behind. Pretty much the only shots I used the 70-300 for were of reindeer. MF will be fine for aurora shots and the f/2.8 will be handy for them too. Expect at least 3 seasons each day - autumn, winter and deep winter! When it's windy, grab shots from inside your car - I'm close to 19 stone in full cold kit and was almost blown off my feet a few times. I used a tripod a few times but mainly shot hand held and used a high ISO to keep shutter speeds fast enough (the D750 gives clean results up to at least 3200 with correct exposure.) We were there in mid March '15, so a few weeks later than you. Hope to see the AB but don't expect to - they're fickle phenomena...

Oh and a word of advice / warning.

Keep away from the shoreline, no matter how photogenic it looks, it's a killer (literally)
In my hotel 5 Germans went out for the day but only 4 came back as the mother got swept by a large wave and died, and this also happened to a man 3 weeks ago near Vik.

I must admit I didnt heed this advice and wanted a low beach ice shot along the shoreline, slipped on the broken ice which was on broken ice which was also on broken ice etc, fell and slid towards the water line (the beaches are on more of a gradient than ours) and it was only getting lucky with the toe of one boot getting purchase in the sand that prevented me from going the same way, and there's no way to pull you out if you do go in.

Just a friendly warning from someone who escaped.
Cheers
Dave

Yes, stay well away from the shore especially on the beaches near Vik, and stay to marked paths, no climbing over barriers as they are there to protect the fauna, and in the case of geothermal areas, very dangerous (look up ed sheeran's story about his foot in boiling mud cos he wandered off the track!)

Yes I have a Manfrotto 055, so should be good. I've heard it can get pretty windy! :)
The 055 is a good tripod and it feels sturdy, but don't take anything for granted.

At this time of year barely a week goes by without a phone call from a sheepish-sounding customer saying things like Northern Lights ... tripod ... windy / dark / icy ... oops.

You don't want something like this to happen. It's no big deal for us, we just get them repaired, but it can be a big deal for your holiday.

420768_10150536082056794_1581432550_n.jpg

You don't want something like this to happen. It's no big deal for us, we just get them repaired, but it can be a big deal for your holiday.

420768_10150536082056794_1581432550_n.jpg

BIG
Eeeek! Although thinking about it, couldn't you rent this out as a PC/Shift lens?

Last edited:
The 055 is a good tripod and it feels sturdy, but don't take anything for granted.

On the few occasions when I did use my tripod over there (bear in mind that I took a CF Giottos Vitruvian for compactness and lightness), I kept it as low as possible by splaying the legs as far as possible when it was windy. Luckily, the night we had an Aurora show, it was still so I could have the camera at a comfortable height - luckily because the ground was sheet ice so splaying MY legs was a distinct possibility if I'd had to squat! (And yes, I was wearing boot spikes to stop me slipping.)

Oh and a word of advice / warning.

Keep away from the shoreline, no matter how photogenic it looks, it's a killer (literally)
In my hotel 5 Germans went out for the day but only 4 came back as the mother got swept by a large wave and died, and this also happened to a man 3 weeks ago near Vik.

I must admit I didnt heed this advice and wanted a low beach ice shot along the shoreline, slipped on the broken ice which was on broken ice which was also on broken ice etc, fell and slid towards the water line (the beaches are on more of a gradient than ours) and it was only getting lucky with the toe of one boot getting purchase in the sand that prevented me from going the same way, and there's no way to pull you out if you do go in.

Just a friendly warning from someone who escaped.
Cheers
Dave

Blimey, you mean the beach where the 'three sisters' are? People standing too close to the sea and getting swept up by it and taken out to sea or something?

I went in Feb 2015 and it was pretty ferocious then but I wouldn't have envisaged getting swept up by it, unless you mean somewhere else than that spot?

@smr its not just people standing too close, its people not being aware of their surroundings (for whatever reason) and 'sneaker waves' coming further up the shore than people expected. With an added dash of people actively going into the waves or playing chicken. After the most recent tragedy (the most recent death was a woman by the way) i think they posted a guard there, not sure if it was permenant - and then the day after it happened, they closed that section of the beach, but people still went over the barriers/beach closed signs, i presume to get the perfect photo..........

Yes mate,

She was taking pics from the shore line of her family at the 3 sisters and a wave took her.

Not good

Thanks for the feedback everyone and especially for the advice about the dangerous waters. Seen a few more scary videos about it on YouTube.

Just trying to decide whether I should take my Sony RX100mkiii as well as the DSLR. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

I took my Fuji XF-1 and used it a bit. Was handy to always have a reasonable capture device in a pocket for good snaps.

WRT waves, keep an eye open for signs of where the last big wave reached and be aware of tides. On the ice beach, make sure you're not penned in by ice floes so if necessary you can leg it up the beach without having to weave around obstacles. Keep a couple of pairs of dry socks in the vehicle just in case!

Lots more snow and ice along the south coast this last 2 weeks since I got back. Looks even better than when I was there. Lol

Also there seems to be a bit more aurora activity

A tip for you......if your in Reykjavik, and have a car, drive out north from the city on route 1, then turn onto route 35 (this at night by the way) this is where the sat nag should take over if you put in Geysir it will take you the right way.

Go out about 2o minutes drive, and park up at the side of the road, making sure if it's snowy or icy you can get moving again. And wait.
Firstly you are waiting for any aurora activity and close enough to Reykjavik to get back in a sensible time........secondly your waiting till about 10.30, when if there is activity, the aurora watch buses and coaches start piling along the road going to a couch stop / viewing area about 15. Ike's further along.

These guys have 'inside knowledge' and have communications with spotters and weather stations from all over Iceland so can predict decent activity or incoming potential auroras.
Simply follow them, until you come to the stop area.
Park up and wait.
They leave at 12.00 midnight to go back to Reykjavik, and your left in a glorious place, usually alone to wait for a couple of hours , looking north and north east, for aurora activity.
Rule of thumb, if the busses and coaches pass you, it's probable, not inevitable, but probable you you will see an aurora.
Cheers
Dave

Back