Iceland

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
Just throwing this one out to memebers on TP who may have been. I am thinking about a trip to Iceland. As yet I don't know too much about it. I would like to know what trips/excursions to look at, best part of the island to stay.
The reason I ask is I am unable to walk for more than 200 to 300 yards due to serious spinal injuries from a motorcycle accident. From the outside I look fine but inside my spine is all bolted together with titanium. I can walk fine for that distance but then tend to hit a brick wall so to speak.
So the trips I would be looking at are ones that don't involve any hiking.
Would it be better just to hire a car and drive myself about.
Or am I just wasting my time for even thinking about it.
What is the best time of year to go ???
Many questions and your help would be appreciated to see if it's viable for me.

Just throwing this one out to memebers on TP who may have been. I am thinking about a trip to Iceland. As yet I don't know too much about it. I would like to know what trips/excursions to look at, best part of the island to stay.
The reason I ask is I am unable to walk for more than 200 to 300 yards due to serious spinal injuries from a motorcycle accident. From the outside I look fine but inside my spine is all bolted together with titanium. I can walk fine for that distance but then tend to hit a brick wall so to speak.
So the trips I would be looking at are ones that don't involve any hiking.
Would it be better just to hire a car and drive myself about.
Or am I just wasting my time for even thinking about it.
What is the best time of year to go ???
Many questions and your help would be appreciated to see if it's viable for me.

Gulfoss waterfall is stunning, and can be accessed from above without too much walking. Geyser as well. The coast itself is stunning through, so you won't be stuck for locations. Why not try the search function on Flickr to search for suitable shots?

Akureyri in the north is a fair old drive, but worth it.

Don't know too much about the weather but when I was up working in Iceland at the end of November; it got light at about 11:30, dark about 3pm. Great light when it was out, but very limited opportunities.

Hope you get something sorted out.

Just read Drew Buckleys blog, very well written and very informative.

Having just come back from Iceland I would say the waterfalls and Geysers are fantastic. When we go again I would hire a car, this time we went on coaches and were very rushed and only got approx 45-60 at the main attractions.
Reykjavik is very easy to get around and you can be in a place to eat within very few steps in any direction.
We went 19th Feb for five nights and it was grey and drizzley and we did not see the lights :(
However, what we saw was enough to make us want to re-visit
Ohhh and be prepared to taste some beautiful food, they know how to cook over there :)

Welcome back to warmth and sunlight!!!

Glad you had a good time, even if it was a bit rushed. I know Iceland has an expensive reputation - how justified is it? For example, what does a reasonable meal for 2 cost and how much is a week's car hire likely to be? Oh and are there plenty of veggie alternatives for non fish eaters?

Back