Non UK Iceland

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hopefully going to Iceland next year, thought now might be a good time to start looking at what equipment to take.
I should hopefully be doing a loop of the island in June time. So getting away from the usual tourist hotspots.

Just wonderying what focal length people think is best to take? (Full frame equivalence will be ok)

Hopefully can take a travel tripod if not I'll only have my Joby gorillapod 3k.

I took an 8mm fisheye, 14mm, 24-120 and 70-300. Used them all (on a D750 FF). Took a tripod and used it a fair bit, mainly for night exposures but also with a remote when waiting for waves to crash against cliffs - it was a bit chilly so I kept my hands in my pockets and used the remote.

Wide to medium angle and definitely a tripod. Have a look at my trip here:
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/index.php?posts/7093686

Some really great photos there hopefully I can achieve something half as nice as those.

I took an 8mm fisheye, 14mm, 24-120 and 70-300. Used them all (on a D750 FF). Took a tripod and used it a fair bit, mainly for night exposures but also with a remote when waiting for waves to crash against cliffs - it was a bit chilly so I kept my hands in my pockets and used the remote.

Looks like a range of focal lengths then for a bit of everything and anything.

Yup! The 14 is f/2.8 so was ideal for night shots, the 24-120 covered most landscape duties and the 70-300 caught the reindeer.

If it's a photography holiday I would take what you have as it's an amazing country to photograph and you'll be kicking yourself for having the wrong lens. I went in November and mostly used by 16-35 and 24-105, but also took a 70-200.

Take a sand bag or something that can hold down your tripod as the wind is very strong in Iceland along the waters

Last time I went I used 16-35, 50mm and 100-400. My 24 f/1.4 came out for northern lights - but you won't be needing that in June :)

I would echo the above comments and say to definitely take a decent tripod.

Back