Beginner iCloud help!!

Name
Tilly
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello Iv recently brought a MacBook Pro. When I download my photos from my flat they are all being upload to my iCloud then I have a load of photo on my other devices such as my iPhone/iPad I do not want this to happen.

If there away of download my images without them all going on my iCloud? Is there a way I can store them on my laptop with them all being uploaded to the cloud? I know I can turn off I cloud however I would still like to be able to upload certain images to my iPhone/iPad.

Wha do you guys use when download/uploading images?

Is there an easier way?

Well, I use Microsoft Windows, so I wouldn't know how to help you out with your MacOS.

I think you need to turn off iCloud Photo Library.

And use only Photo Stream.

iCloud created an iCloud Photos folder under My Pictures on my Windows (I don't know what do MacOS have), and under the iCloud Photos folder, I have two folders, one is Downloads and the other is Uploads. When I take photos or save image files on my iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad, they are uploaded via iCloud and downloaded into the Downloads folder on my computer. But when I save images on my computer, they are not uploaded to iCloud. If I want certain images on my iPad, I would drag and drop the images into the Uploads folder, so they would be uploaded thought the iCloud and automatically downloaded into the iPad. But this is really for Windows, as I am not sure if MacOS have anything similar.

If you are using iCloud Photo Library, everything gets synced with each other and on the iCloud.

But if you are using Photo Stream, you will be getting images from iDevices (ie iPhone, iPad, etc.,) but not uploading automatically from the computer unless you drag and drop into the Uploads folder.

There is a difference between iCloud Photo Library and Photo Stream. I think Photo Stream on its own would suit your needs.

Alternatively you can use separate catalogue software to import your camera photos, rather than adding them to your Photos library, or create your own folder structure.

I leave iCloud alone to do it's thing syncing images between iPhone/iPad/MacBook as these are quick snaps that I may wish to share/access easily, and this takes care of a crude backup as well.

When importing pictures from my DSLR, I ignore the Photos window that pops up to import them (you can change the default settings so that it doesn't do this) and import via Lightroom instead. Alternatively, if you do not use Lightroom or software with similar functionality, you can create your own folder structure to store your pictures, and access them directly via Finder.

Hello Iv recently brought a MacBook Pro. When I download my photos from my flat they are all being upload to my iCloud then I have a load of photo on my other devices such as my iPhone/iPad I do not want this to happen.

If there away of download my images without them all going on my iCloud? Is there a way I can store them on my laptop with them all being uploaded to the cloud? I know I can turn off I cloud however I would still like to be able to upload certain images to my iPhone/iPad.

Is there an easier way?
Is there a reason you don’t want them on all devices, space wise it’s just a tiny images that gets downloaded when you open it, but it could be another reason ?

Alternatively you can use separate catalogue software to import your camera photos, rather than adding them to your Photos library, or create your own folder structure.

I leave iCloud alone to do it's thing syncing images between iPhone/iPad/MacBook as these are quick snaps that I may wish to share/access easily, and this takes care of a crude backup as well.

When importing pictures from my DSLR, I ignore the Photos window that pops up to import them (you can change the default settings so that it doesn't do this) and import via Lightroom instead. Alternatively, if you do not use Lightroom or software with similar functionality, you can create your own folder structure to store your pictures, and access them directly via Finder.

So could I create a folder via finder and import my images into that and not directly the photo album? Then I can import the photos I do want uploaded to the iCloud through the photos album?

Is there a reason you don’t want them on all devices, space wise it’s just a tiny images that gets downloaded when you open it, but it could be another reason ?

I don’t want hundreds of photos I have taken with my camera uploaded to all my devices I would prefer to just upload edited photos to my iCloud and have the original stored on hard drives etc

I don’t want hundreds of photos I have taken with my camera uploaded to all my devices I would prefer to just upload edited photos to my iCloud and have the original stored on hard drives etc

yes then as above, import to a set folder (close auto import screen that pops up) and then you can drag and drop to your photos app for any you want to be synced

the only reason I asked is I have 3300 pics on my icloud and it takes up about 800mb of space on phone ect

yes then as above, import to a set folder (close auto import screen that pops up) and then you can drag and drop to your photos app for any you want to be synced

the only reason I asked is I have 3300 pics on my icloud and it takes up about 800mb of space on phone ect

Okay I’ll give that ago.

I’m not worried about space to much I have over 10,000 pictures on my iCloud I just don’t want the unedited ones uploaded

Okay I’ll give that ago.

I’m not worried about space to much I have over 10,000 pictures on my iCloud I just don’t want the unedited ones uploaded
im guessing its the same as my iMac? i don't have a MacBook to test, but its just go into finder, select the memory card or camera (prob mem card) and drag and drop to a folder, then you can drag/drop to photos as needed to photo stream,.

Last edited:
I think Major Eazy hit the nail on the head.

View attachment 239729
just remember none of your pics will sync, well as far as I'm aware and it'll take up more space on your devices for pics you do have as they store in Icloud and show a "preview" on your device to save space.

Maybe just check this, im not totally sure as ive never done it, but i did have icloud turned off by an update a few years back and it loaded full res pics onto my phone.

Might I suggest that you re-read the opening paragraph of the OP's original post; she clearly states that she DOESN'T want ALL of her images on iCloud or on her iPhone and iPad.

If there away of download my images without them all going on my iCloud? Is there a way I can store them on my laptop with them all being uploaded I know I can turn off I cloud however I would still like to be able to upload certain images to my iPhone/iPad.

Is there an easier way?

Yes understood, but if you read the whole thing, not just most of it, you will see it also says “I know I can turn off Icloud however I would still like to be able to upload certain images to my iPhone/iPad.”

So I was making the point, this MAY work but be careful as it may force all photos to be downloaded.

If someone wants to operate iCloud Photos in a limited way then the answer is to use Apple Photos (unfortunate name!) on the Mac only for photos that are to be shared to iPads etc and use another application on the Mac for the main library of photos.
If you want to use just Apple Photos app on the Mac then you can have two or more libraries and nominate one as the System Library and this will be the only one that syncs to iPads etc.

just remember none of your pics will sync, well as far as I'm aware and it'll take up more space on your devices for pics you do have as they store in Icloud and show a "preview" on your device to save space.

Maybe just check this, im not totally sure as ive never done it, but i did have icloud turned off by an update a few years back and it loaded full res pics onto my phone.

The point is the OP only wants some chosen photos to be uploaded from the computer, go through iCloud account, and downloaded to the iPhone/iPad. Not all the photos. Even if the OP chose to upload only "certain" images (meaning "chosen" images) thus even if the OP only wanted to upload a dozen certain images to iPhone/iPad, it is not going to eat up the whole storage space. It is not like the OP is planning on having the ALL of the OP's images uploaded.

So don't worry about it. I know because I've been doing that for years.

If someone wants to operate iCloud Photos in a limited way then the answer is to use Apple Photos (unfortunate name!) on the Mac only for photos that are to be shared to iPads etc and use another application on the Mac for the main library of photos.
If you want to use just Apple Photos app on the Mac then you can have two or more libraries and nominate one as the System Library and this will be the only one that syncs to iPads etc.

Hello there.

Okay, I'm familiar with Window, and I know that iCloud created an Upload and Download folders on my Windows computer. All I have to do is drag and drop any images into the Upload folder so they would send copies to my iPad. If I saved any photos, like saved them from Internet, export any work done as .JPEG, or even take photos using iPad's camera, they automatically send copies to my Download folder on my computer.

I just want to understand how do Apple's own MacOS do that, so on an Apple computer, it is using the Apple Photos on the Mac, that right? You drag and drop images into Apple Photos to send to iPad, like I drag and drop images into the Uploads folder?

I think Major Eazy hit the nail on the head.

View attachment 239729

Oh by the way, about this screen shot, you need to put a tick in the box next to My Photo Stream to turn it on. Then drag and drop copies of certain images into the folder, so they will end up in your iPad/iPhone.

That's what I've been doing for years, just to send copies of, like you say, "certain" images to iPad.

The point is the OP only wants some chosen photos to be uploaded from the computer, go through iCloud account, and downloaded to the iPhone/iPad. Not all the photos. Even if the OP chose to upload only "certain" images (meaning "chosen" images) thus even if the OP only wanted to upload a dozen certain images to iPhone/iPad, it is not going to eat up the whole storage space. It is not like the OP is planning on having the ALL of the OP's images uploaded.

So don't worry about it. I know because I've been doing that for years.
I assume across multiple macs, iPhones and iPads ?

Yes, hence the reason in my second post I said to create a separate folder, macOS and IOS, is designed to share all things across all devices, you need to break that cycle by adding a folder to desktop with unedited pics, turning of iCloud or photostreams creates problems on other device.

Last edited:
So could I create a folder via finder and import my images into that and not directly the photo album? Then I can import the photos I do want uploaded to the iCloud through the photos album?

Yes - as scott199 has stated, you can do just that!

Hello there.

Okay, I'm familiar with Window, and I know that iCloud created an Upload and Download folders on my Windows computer. All I have to do is drag and drop any images into the Upload folder so they would send copies to my iPad. If I saved any photos, like saved them from Internet, export any work done as .JPEG, or even take photos using iPad's camera, they automatically send copies to my Download folder on my computer.

I just want to understand how do Apple's own MacOS do that, so on an Apple computer, it is using the Apple Photos on the Mac, that right? You drag and drop images into Apple Photos to send to iPad, like I drag and drop images into the Uploads folder?
I haven’t used iCloud on Windows, I’ll have a try later. What you describe sounds quite different from MacOS iCloud Photos Library or Photostream. BUT confusingly there is also iCloud Drive (works like Dropbox or ?MS Drive) which appears as “Files” app on iOS and can have folders etc to which you can drag photos etc which sync across all devices and can be dragged out on the Mac if wished. This is quite an efficient way of bypassing Photostream etc. Alternatively there is “Airdrop” where Photos etc can be directly “dropped” to other devices on the same network - these appear in the Downloads folder on the Mac so that sounds like a similarity to your Windows experience.

I think the thing to bear in mind is that Apple’s Photos etc is not designed for “photographers” but for “social photography” and works well for that. The advantage is that “Photos” is available everywhere so it’s easy to add photos to emails or other documents like newsletters in Apple Pages. They don’t have to be “photos” — I use the app (and iPhoto before it) for maps that I send out to club members. That’s why what the OP wants to do requires some sort of work around.

I haven’t used iCloud on Windows, I’ll have a try later. What you describe sounds quite different from MacOS iCloud Photos Library or Photostream. BUT confusingly there is also iCloud Drive (works like Dropbox or ?MS Drive) which appears as “Files” app on iOS and can have folders etc to which you can drag photos etc which sync across all devices and can be dragged out on the Mac if wished. This is quite an efficient way of bypassing Photostream etc. Alternatively there is “Airdrop” where Photos etc can be directly “dropped” to other devices on the same network - these appear in the Downloads folder on the Mac so that sounds like a similarity to your Windows experience.

I know how to use Photo Stream on Windows, I just wanted to know what is the MacOS equivalent as I figure it may be either similar or different, so I could be familiar with it.

Well, while you are correct with the idea of instead of using Photo Stream, why not use iCloud Drive and Files app on iPad (and iPhone), but what's the point? There is Photos app and Photo Stream there, may as well use it and leave iCloud Drive and Files app for other stuff. I use Photo Stream for photos, may as well use it, after all it's there, and iCloud Drive for any other files, mostly Pages or Numbers.

I know how to use Photo Stream on Windows, I just wanted to know what is the MacOS equivalent as I figure it may be either similar or different, so I could be familiar with it.
I don’t doubt you are familiar with iCloud on Windows but I’m not, so it’s difficult for me to say how it differs on macOS unless I try it on Windows :confused:

I don’t doubt you are familiar with iCloud on Windows but I’m not, so it’s difficult for me to say how it differs on macOS unless I try it on Windows :confused:

You don't have to try it on Windows, after all, I have not tried it on MacOS either. :)

Hello there.

Yes I had a windows computer before so was able to choose my photos (drag and drop) that I wanted to be uploaded to the iCloud basically that’s what I’m looking to do with my MacBook Pro.

@Major Eazy
The confusion here is, (I’ve used both windows and MacOS/IOS)
@sphexx

On windows the iCloud sync is a stand along item/folder, so you put stuff in you want to upload. With MacOS, it’s a built in part of the OS, so any file the os see’s as a “photo” from another device it instantly says “oh that has to be in photstream/photos and tries to make you put in there, if you say “no” it then thinks “well you don’t want them then” so you have to go into the windows equivalent of hard drive type thing (finder on mac) , manually find the device or card, ( on mac it would say SanDisk/D500 or what ever, windows drive E, etc) open that and drag-drop or copy to a designated folder you’ve created.

I haven’t used the windows 10 or whatever the new os is, but it used to be if you plugged a mem card or cam, the folders pops up and it would say “what would you like to do with this” so you could say “download load to X folder please” macOS tries to bypass this and wants to tell you where it should be. (This is all very simplified, not exactly how it works)

@sphexx mention iCloud Drive, which is completely different in its usage, it’s more designed to share files/desktops etc, so it’s bsically allowing me/us to access anything from any of my devices across all, so I can pull up my work mac desktop on my iPad and a use any file/folder on my work computer, even if it’s turned off.
Like the pic attached from my iPad, the desktop is my work computer (you can choose what to sync, so I could sync everything on my work hardrive or just some folders, I choose to create folders on my desktop of stuff I may need while I’m out and out and about to save iCloud space) and sync my desktop.
A59A254C-1838-48BB-8032-A4CA821B2A08.jpeg

So it’s all extremely useful and works like a charm, but unlike windows it’s all geared to work without any user input, you/the op has to break that auto cycle with a normal folder on desktop to avoid images being auto synced across all devices.

Hope I’ve explained it all correctly, Difficult if you’ve never used macOS.

@Major Eazy
The confusion here is, (I’ve used both windows and MacOS/IOS)
@sphexx

On windows the iCloud sync is a stand along item/folder, so you put stuff in you want to upload. With MacOS, it’s a built in part of the OS, so any file the os see’s as a “photo” from another device it instantly says “oh that has to be in photstream/photos and tries to make you put in there, if you say “no” it then thinks “well you don’t want them then” so you have to go into the windows equivalent of hard drive type thing (finder on mac) , manually find the device or card, ( on mac it would say SanDisk/D500 or what ever, windows drive E, etc) open that and drag-drop or copy to a designated folder you’ve created.

I haven’t used the windows 10 or whatever the new os is, but it used to be if you plugged a mem card or cam, the folders pops up and it would say “what would you like to do with this” so you could say “download load to X folder please” macOS tries to bypass this and wants to tell you where it should be. (This is all very simplified, not exactly how it works)

@sphexx mention iCloud Drive, which is completely different in its usage, it’s more designed to share files/desktops etc, so it’s bsically allowing me/us to access anything from any of my devices across all, so I can pull up my work mac desktop on my iPad and a use any file/folder on my work computer, even if it’s turned off.
Like the pic attached from my iPad, the desktop is my work computer (you can choose what to sync, so I could sync everything on my work hardrive or just some folders, I choose to create folders on my desktop of stuff I may need while I’m out and out and about to save iCloud space) and sync my desktop.
View attachment 239771

So it’s all extremely useful and works like a charm, but unlike windows it’s all geared to work without any user input, you/the op has to break that auto cycle with a normal folder on desktop to avoid images being auto synced across all devices.

Hope I’ve explained it all correctly, Difficult if you’ve never used macOS.
I did think to say that on macOS/iOS “it just works” ... :) but that didn’t seem very helpful!

Last edited:
One odd thing I do know about iCloud on Windows is that if you install it on Windows 7 it knackers the free upgrade to Windows 10 :mad: . I have an old family Windows 7 machine that was eligible for the free upgrade and I tried to do that repeatedly but it always failed late in the process without meaningful explanation. Recently I read that iCloud was the culprit (I’d installed it but never used it) and when I uninstalled iCloud and all Apple bits it upgraded without protest :):):)

One odd thing I do know about iCloud on Windows is that if you install it on Windows 7 it knackers the free upgrade to Windows 10 :mad: . I have an old family Windows 7 machine that was eligible for the free upgrade and I tried to do that repeatedly but it always failed late in the process without meaningful explanation. Recently I read that iCloud was the culprit (I’d installed it but never used it) and when I uninstalled iCloud and all Apple bits it upgraded without protest :):):)

Yeah iCloud works on windows, but same as office on mac, the OS really doesn’t like them, on the surface work fine, but underneath it’s like they have little fights about who’s better.
My work mac takes around 15-20 second to fire from dead in the morning, it takes around 30-45 seconds to open word :cautious:

Last edited:
Back