ID-11 developer

Name
nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,
when re-using my ID-11 Developer (10times stated on hartman) do i add back into the rest of it or a separate bottle in which that can be re-used 10 times, apologies if this is a retarded question. Best. Jock.

Generally I dilute an amount of stock solution into "one shot" mixes which I use once and then throw away. The stock is left untouched.

From what I can gather from the datasheet (http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/2011427133131459.pdf), you can develop batches of films in undiluted stock film (up to 10 films, increasing dev time by 10% for each successive film). The implication here is that you use some stock, develop some films and then throw away the used stock rather than add it back into your unused stock.

You probably could get away with rebottling the used stock developer and using it again later but there is no (official) documentation on this.

Hi Guys,
when re-using my ID-11 Developer (10times stated on hartman) do i add back into the rest of it or a separate bottle in which that can be re-used 10 times, apologies if this is a retarded question. Best. Jock.

Don't reuse it. Dilute it 1+1 @ 20 deg and discard afterwards for consistent results.(y)

If using reusing stock ID11 and making the 10% extra time allowance per film then you MUST return the used dev to the stock. The remaining stock effectively acts as a replenisher for the used portion. However I much prefer using the one shot dilution method as it gives consistent results. If you are doing the dilution method you need to make sure you either use a collapsible storage bottle or use an inert gas layer on top of the remaining stock to prevent oxidation.

Quote from data sheet

If a series of individual films is being developed in
a spiral tank using 1 litre of stock ID-11 or
MICROPHEN or PERCEPTOL, compensate for the
loss of developer activity after developing the first
film by increasing the development time 10% for
each successive film, (see table below). This
method of time adjustment relies on the used
developer (250 -300ml for one film), being
poured back into the stock bottle and mixed with
the fresh unused part of the developer before
processing the next film. When using spiral tanks
this helps to give more consistent results by
reducing the risks of problems due to solution
losses and the restraining effect of the by-products.

Last edited:
Back