ID Please ....

InaGlo

TPer Emerita
Name
Glo
Edit My Images
Yes
Now I think, so please dont laugh if I couldnt be further from the truth in my guess, but from looking on the RSPB site, it looks like a Brambling... is it?
I noticed it earlier as it was munching on what the Starlings had tossed out the feeder amongst a small group of Chaffies.

I know its a dire pic, it was taken angled through tinted glass with the sun full on :bonk:
Ive had the camera set up on the tripod all afternoon but it hasnt been back yet.

11_02_08-ID.jpg

It's not the sharpest of shots, but that looks suspiciously like a Brambling to me and if it is you're extremely lucky Glo.

They are though quite similar in size and colouring to a Chaffinch.

Woooo hoooo!!!! :woot:
Thanks Ian :D

Sorry Stevie, ;)
Im not much good at this bird ID lark, but as it was down with a few Chaffies, it really stood as different, so I knew it wasnt a Chaff.

Hope it comes back again

Thanks CT:)
Tbh, I hadnt got a clue what a Brambling looked like but I was talking to a chap in a local park last week and he said they'd had sightings of Bramblings & asked if Id seen any.
I laughed and said that at as a beginner to the birding thing, I still get excited when I see a Chaffinch & wouldnt have a clue what a Brambling looked like.
He told me they were similar, so thats what made me look up Brambling.

The camera is set up on the tripod in the hope it comes back! :D

EDIT: Wow! now that is a nice pic! (y)

LOL. Cool beans. There's loads of Bramblings on Cannock Chase. Cracking little birds.

Gimme a shout one of the days if you like. They stop feeding at the feeding station in Spring. I'm definitely going soon come Hell or high water. You should get Bullfinches easily and a good chance of Yellowhammers, Goldcrests, apart from the usual suspects.

Now I think, so please dont laugh if I couldnt be further from the truth in my guess, but from looking on the RSPB site, it looks like a Brambling... is it?
I noticed it earlier as it was munching on what the Starlings had tossed out the feeder amongst a small group of Chaffies.

I know its a dire pic, it was taken angled through tinted glass with the sun full on :bonk:
Ive had the camera set up on the tripod all afternoon but it hasnt been back yet.

A good reason for visiting the link here....
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=48292

Gimme a shout one of the days if you like. They stop feeding at the feeding station in Spring. I'm definitely going soon come Hell or high water. You should get Bullfinches easily and a good chance of Yellowhammers, Goldcrests, apart from the usual suspects.
Thanks CT, that would be grrrrreat :D
As long as its dry Im youre man, well you kno wwhat I mean :p

Thanks Rocket, I do have that bookmarked now & thats where I found the pic of the Brambling.
But as theyre illustrations & not photos, I wasnt entirely sure.

Thanks CT, that would be grrrrreat :D
As long as its dry Im youre man, well you kno wwhat I mean :p

:D Just put your woollies on - when it's cold up there it's cold!!

You done good Glo ... (y) ... both in capturing it in the first place and then for getting the ID spot on ... :clap: ... we'll make a birder out of you yet ... :cautious: ... never mind a 'togess too ... :D

Looks like you've got yourself a very nice male of the species too ... ;) ... so there is quite likely going to be a female or two around as well ... :D ... we have a couple of pairs still popping in on a daily basis at the moment ... :shrug:

:p

A nice addition to your birding list, well spotted.(y) It's one I haven't got yet.

Thanks lammie & Ven :)
My interest has taken me quite by surprise actually, & its all down to you guys here that Im learning to spot the odd bird or two.
*Goes off to find woollies amongst moth balls*

Spent all yesterday trying to get a photo of one of these with no luck. You did well to spot and capture it, im jealous.

Back