Ideal lens for Rally photo's

Name
stevie.
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering if there is an 'ideal' lens to use for rally pictures, Jessops are doing a tamron, 75-300 lens for about 114 quid (i've got one same size SONY make) and i've got an 18-70 lens as well, and wondered if there is a lens i should be looking to buy (idealy don't want to spend thousands on one lens though:crying: )
And also can anyone recomend a flash as well, camera is a sony A200...which will more than likely be changed at the summer for a newer sony model.

Ideal? I'd say a 70-200 would be your best bet but you need the 18-70 to make it an idea combination. The 70-200 lenses tend to autofocus quicker than their 70-300 counterparts which is key for motorsports.

You say you already have the sony 75-300? If so the Tamron will not give you anything over the Sony.

Have a look at the sigma 70-200mm f2.8 its a great lens and well more affordable than the sony offering at over twice the price. OK no image stabilisation, but you don't need IS for action photography.

The problems with rally's is, usually the weather ain't great, its in forest area's so light conditions are testing, so a fast lens is required to get the best out of the conditions and get you pictures.

As for a flash gun have a look at them on warehouse express
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/category/basecategory.aspx?cat03=3105&brand=230

If it's a similar lens to the Canon bundle Tamron 70-300 don't lol, I've had mine a coulpe of weeks and can't get on with it (although I could be I don't know what I'm doing) so already looknig to upgrade...

Next lens on my list is the Sigma 120-400 from recommendations from this site :)

I suppose I am very fortunate that I have three main lenses I can use for my rally photography - 17-40L, 24-70L and 70-200L. I probably use, and enjoy, the 24-70 the most for my rallying shots but as you've got that covered I would suggest looking towards the longer end of the range.

As mentioned above, why not look at the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 in Sony fit? They aren't bad lenses, certainly not when compared to some of the Tamron 75-300 et al.

What kind of budget are you looking at spending? Is there anything in the for sale section?

rhonddaboy is the only member I know who frequently uses Sony on rallies - may be worth PM'ing him?

DB

A 70-200 2.8 is what you need if you only have one lens.

If you have more, then something wide would be the next choice.

I have had some success with the Tamron 70 - 300 but I am now seriously thinking of bying a faster lens quite fancy the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 best price iv'e seen is just over £500.

Have a look at the sigma 70-200mm f2.8 its a great lens and well more affordable than the sony offering at over twice the price. OK no image stabilisation, but you don't need IS for action photography.

The problems with rally's is, usually the weather ain't great, its in forest area's so light conditions are testing, so a fast lens is required to get the best out of the conditions and get you pictures.

As for a flash gun have a look at them on warehouse express
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/category/basecategory.aspx?cat03=3105&brand=230

what he said. i'll be using mine tomorrow, and maybe a bit of 120-300 if i need a little more range.

Back