Ideas/suggestions wanted for my little trailer ...

Jo

Name
Jo Fisher
Edit My Images
Yes
Puzzled? :LOL: OK let me explain ...

I am going to be getting a mobility scooter very soon, and with it I want to get the little trailer (This one). Now the purpose of this is my photography outings (make that all outings since I never go out without my camera :lol).

The items I want to fit in this trailer are:

My camera bag which will be a fairly large shoulder bag
A 2 man tent/hide
Pack up/picnic
Medical supplies (not a huge amount, but worth mentioning, perhaps a small pack up size tub)
Tripod
Monopod
Blanket
Pillow
Sleeping bag

:LOL: As you can see, I doubt very very much that all of that will fit in that tiny trailer! Unless of course Mary Poppins built it :D

Soooo... What options are there? I'm thinking a custom built one would be best, unless anyone knows of one large enough on the market already, without being charged the earth. The price of the one above (£139) is probably the top end of my budget for this.

Are you handy? Could you make me one? Remember it is to go on the back of a mobility scooter though, not a car! Though I am also looking for one for the back of the car to transport said scooter and scooter trailer.

Oh and can I just say... I am soooo freaking excited! Once I get my wheels (hopefully the next two weeks, maybe even in time for my birthday, 7th Feb) you lot better watch out, as almost no where will be Jo proof :D

I hope this is in the right section!

Jo
xxx

Hi Jo

I found these hope they are helpful, they are for cycles but could easily be made to fit, they look more secure to keep your camera and things in, light weight Metal construction and look solid and quite big, and most fold flat for easy transportation in the boot of your car, and in your price range

Clicky Linky

Clicky Linky the £165 1 has a central pull bar, free delivery

Dave

Hmm :thinking: Why didn't I think of those ... Definitely one to consider Dave, thank you! Any idea how I would adapt it to go on the back on my scooter though? :thinking:

Thanks Psi, I had seen those already, but I don't think it will carry enough on my list. I need something probably double that size :shrug:

Hi Jo

Pleased you found them of use, I think they fit to the down tube or seat stem of a cycle, they look like they have an adjustable strap, so you should be able to get a bracket that bolts to your scooter, my sister uses a scooter and I am going to her house a 12, so I'll have a look if hers has a bracket or fixing point, I'll also nip into Halfords on the way back and ask them, if theres a suitable option for fitting them to a scooter. The 1 with the central pull bar is probably your best option I would think, I think they should be pretty stable as well with the big wheels, and you can possibly remove the seats to have even more room inside.

Dave

Aww, now Dave you don't have to do that hon :confused: It's really very kind of you to offer but I would feel bad if you go out of your way like that. But thank you so much for even saying you would. Now, if you were doing it for your sister, I would be happy to hear how you get on though, that's a different matter :)

Its not out of my way Jo, Halfords is just down the lane from me and I will have to drive past it anyway, Unfortunately my sister doesn't get out much now, she only goes if we accompany her, as she couldn't lift it out of her car and manage her oxygen bottle at the same time, so now shes had to give up her car as well.

Not an expert on mobility scooters and their trailers but would like to add one note.

Unfortunately, there are some lowlifes who prey upon the less able, so make sure the link between the scooter and trailer is as secure as possible (maybe use a padlock rather than a pin?) so the b*st**d* can't just unhitch the trailer and run off with it. Some sort of locking lid may be an idea as well (maybe there's something like THIS that'll lowlife-proof it?).

Well thank you very much then Dave :) Sorry to hear about your sister though ... I know only too well what that must be like :(

Nod, what a weird contraption! :LOL: But I can see its benefits. Not sure I would have a use for it though.

Hi Jo been to my sisters and Halfords, dont know if my sisters is the same as you are getting but would imagine the seat set up is similar. first image bottom right shows the seat bolt and the second image shows the bracket and locking pin, from 1 of the trailers, the guy in Halfords was very helpful and open the box to show me, I told him it was for my sister, the aperture of the thread on the bracket is 11mm and on the scooter the bolt is 14mm diameter, I would think that its and easy job to have it drilled out to be made to fit or some metal extension plates may be needed which would be an easy job to get, hope it helps

3213037016_1c7cc708ce_o.jpg

3213035924_003fa7c5ba_o.jpg

Dave

Hmm that's definately something else to think about carefully. I'm getting my scooter this weekend to try it to see if it needs any adjustments (it's not the same as your sister btw) so I will look to see what's possible. I may even end up just getting a large rucksack for the back of the seat, which is something I looked at today as well. Thanks ever so much for looking into that for me Dave :)

You know something, this forum and its occupants rock. What with the posters on this thread helping and also a certain some else PMing me (you know who you are;) ) with a very very generous offer with regards to the trailer for the car ... I'm a little (OK maybe an understatement) overwhelmed :) *sniff sniff*

Back