Identification please.

Galaxy66

Jeremy Beadle
Name
My name is Mal not Jeremy :)
Edit My Images
Yes
Where I live these horrible things about 10 mm long can bite through your clothing and really sting, as soon as you scratch the bite it comes up in a white lump. They can also bite in the most unlikely places:eek:.

I managed to zap this critter as they are pretty slow and was fortunate to spot it before it stuck it's syringe into me.

Fly.jpg

Not a scooby but he dont look very friendly. Sorry I am no help.

Is it a horse fly?

If it is they don't sting as I recall, but stick a sort of arrow head into you and pull it out leaving a hole that leaks blood they can lap up.

Obviously a system designed for animals that struggle to dislodge them, they don't normally get to stay on a human host long enough for a drink.

They are persistent sods and once they get a whiff of you they follow relentlessly until they get a taste of you, eve if I am at top speed on the ride on lawnmower.

Is it a horse fly?

If it is they don't sting as I recall, but stick a sort of arrow head into you and pull it out leaving a hole that leaks blood they can lap up.

Obviously a system designed for animals that struggle to dislodge them, they don't normally get to stay on a human host long enough for a drink.

Maybe not a sting as such but you certainly can feel it when they bite:eek:

Perhaps a horsefly (aka Clegg in Ireland) but they are much larger than 10mm - in fact 10mm is only a centimeter.

Perhaps a horsefly (aka Clegg in Ireland) but they are much larger than 10mm - in fact 10mm is only a centimeter.

Definitely only 10mm, just been out and measured it.
I do live in Northern England and thankfully our spiders are smaller as well:D

From what I've read they vary from about 8mm to 23mm depending on species.

As with mosquitoes it is only the female that eats blood.

Good job you're not going to Skye until September, Mal. They're quite bad up here between July and early September, although they're called Clegs hereabouts.

Galaxy66 said:
Yuk, grizzly .........that's the one, I must have the right smell because I get bitten more times than Mrs G, they prefer my back most times.

From my experience, they are attracted to heat/sweat (maybe the increase in CO2 output during hard work): I was plagued by them in my first house - that shared a border with a field used for horse grazing - any time I was grafting outdoors.

From what I've read they vary from about 8mm to 23mm depending on species.

As with mosquitoes it is only the female that eats blood.

Bloody females:D

Good job you're not going to Skye until September, Mal. They're quite bad up here between July and early September, although they're called Clegs hereabouts.

I left it until September for the mosquitoes and am I pleased:eek:

From my experience, they are attracted to heat/sweat (maybe the increase in CO2 output during hard work): I was plagued by them in my first house - that shared a border with a field used for horse grazing - any time I was grafting outdoors.

They just simply like me:(

Great eyes, nasty bite ;) good brave shot (y)

Cheers Alby, was wondering if you were going to make an appearance :)

Horrible things! i was bit by one when i was 19 and reacted badly , put me in hospital.

Antibiotics for me, and the end of my run as a plasma and platelets donor :bang:

Back