Beginner idiots guide to 360

Name
Matthew york
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Everyone - First post so be gentle because I'm hopelessly confused!

I'm looking for an action camera to take sailing (eg it may get wet!) and I've seen some great footage taken on an "insta 360" from a 3m selfie stick, which the camera presumably edits out of the shot as it becomes "Invisible". The footage looks drone like, even though it's only 3m in the air. I'm just (if you will forgive the pun!) lost at sea with all the acronyms and despite emailing Insta themselves (twice) I still couldn't work out which model to look at. So I've summarised my questions below

1) I'm assuming a 360 has two lenses so it can "stitch"? the two pictures together to remove the selfie stick. Does this mean I need a "360 twin" model? A lot of the insta models appear to only have one lens, although it realise it's a modular set up that also includes the "twin" model in the line up. I just don't understand which is the cheapest model to achieve what I want

2) Ideally I'd like to have the ability to not always have the fish eye view eg a more "linear?" picture - but can I still do that with an invisible selfie stick? Would this mean I would have to buy the 4k model rather than the 360 one?

3) I'm looking for the cheapest way of having an invisible selfie stick because there is a high chance the camera may get damaged - so I'm not looking for high end. Are there alternatives to the 360?

You have to have one of the 2 lens models to record 360 degree video. The problem with 360 camera is that the resolution has to stretched across a 360 degree field of view, as a result the number of pixels per degree is quiet low. The twin model allows you the option of using the single lens unit for much better image quality as the resolution is only stretched across a 90 degree field of view.

The cheapest 360 version is the Insta360 ONE but that only gives you a 4k image stretched across the 360 degrees.

These cameras are always a balance between field of view and image quality.

Back