ID's Required Please

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey everyone,

As per my previous threads from today,I was hoping for some ID's from ducks today that I failed to ID.

main.php

2. Type of Mallard?
main.php

3. A Geese I'm pretty sure, but which I don't know?
main.php

4. The other sex of number 2?
main.php

5. Last one
main.php

Many thanks with any help provided!

A nice set Dan, good detail and colours.
I cant help with ID's unfortunately, but I will refer you to a recent thread about a bird book thats been on offer. Bird book
I bought a copy and its very useful and a great book to have on the shelf with heaps of info and pictures.
Thanks for sharing these (y)

As it happens Joe the location of these is renowned in the area for having all sorts of species, so it maybe that they are exotic, who knows hehe!

5 is not a Female Mandarin.
Its a very similar female duck though, its a Female Wood Duck, the Madarins white tail feathers are more solid.

Where did you shoot these birds as they are mostly all native to North America?

Very tough one there Craig, having googled the Wood Duck I'm not sure now, looks very alike the Wood Duck.

The obvious was staring me in the face though, it was swimming around with a male Mandarin, would that explain it possibly being a female Mandarin?

They both look very very much alike!

Due to cross breeding naturally it may actually be impossible to pinpoint the exact type of duck, so not every one you see you can definately identify.

Realspeed

I assume there has been a lot of cross breeding in some of these cases.
The goose looks like a variation of a Canada Goose, might be a female, spring plumage.
I saw a Mandarin duck 2 years ago hanging about with a Mallard up north, real odd couple so it seems they hang around with anything.

No cross breeding involved here, just a few different ages.

1. Ruddy Shelduck
2. Rosybill
3. Red-breasted Goose
4. Red-crested Pochard
5. Mandarin

Last edited:
2. and 4. A pair of 'Goosander'

Chris, I've had it second analysed on the birdforum.net and it's coming back as Mandarin ;)

Also same ID's coming back on the Red Crested Pochard, but the Rosybill they are saying is a Rosy-billed Pochard

Chris, I've had it second analysed on the birdforum.net and it's coming back as Mandarin ;)

Also same ID's coming back on the Red Crested Pochard, but the Rosybill they are saying is a Rosy-billed Pochard

Hi Dan, it's actually the same species with a different name (Netta peposaca) it's actually more closely related to the Red-crested Pochard than the Eurasian pochard (which is an aythya species).
Hope that clears it up.

Something very strange is going on Dan. I just put the shot up for ID on Birdforum and was told it was a Wood Duck, Aix sponsa.

Canonitis, the pic you have posted on this thread is a wood duck(f). The pic that Dan has put on BF is the one he posted on here and that was ID on BF as a Mandarin. I originally ID Dan's as a mandarin then had a look in the Collins Bird Guide and from the comparison in the book I still say Dan's is a mandarin.

Such is life.
I should also add that the duck was ID`d as a MALE Wood Duck. I should again add that the chap who ID`d maintained that it was not into full breeding plumage.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, Dan's bird is a female Mandarin.
Canonitis' bird is a Wood Duck.
As I said earlier there are two features which should make identification fairly straightforward - these are the amount of white around the eye and the size of the scalloping on the flanks. If you compare the two birds, the differences should be fairly obvious to even the most novice birder.

Dan's bird is a Female Mandarin, I sent the image to one of the most knowledgeable birders in the Midlands, he said "the rounded pale flank spots are the main give a way in the photo".

Back