If a lion......

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
..........could talk, we would still not understand him"

I read in the news today about some lioness and cubs in a zoo that had been put down, (story here) and it got me thinking about animals in captivity etc.

It took me back to a shot I took of a lion at Chester Zoo when I first got a DSLR, I remember the pose looked thoughtful and sad, so I decided to create something I've never done before to show how reading that story made me feel. I know this may be too much for some people but if you like it feel free to comment.

Hope it comes across.

I called it "If a lion could talk, we still would not understand him"

If a lion could talk, we could not understand him.
by mattd85, on Flickr

Last edited:
I actually really like the processing on that, and I can see what it is you were trying to convey. If im being picky, id like to see a little more space between the head and the edge of the frame.

I could imagine it as a carving with some thoughtful words/a poem carved into the right hand side.

Very nice.

I could always put the title down the right hand side or crop it in a little, I will have a play and see if I can add some space to the top.

Thanks.

Matt

really like this,i agree if you put the "If a lion could talk, we still would not understand him" quote on the right i think that would look great.

I like it too....it has a feel of 'loneliness' about it, and, I think the empty space on the right had side should be left as it is ....

I like this too, and agree with Solo man that the empty space should be left where it is, for me it heightens the sense of loneliness.

Very nicely processed, great expression too.
I'm gonna be awkward here and say I understand, what you are doing with the negative space,
And its very effective.
But I think there is too much of it. (by half)

Unless of course there was a poem / eulogy etc there,
and it was printed as a card or wall hanging.

None the less its a very thought provoking image (y)

Thanks for all the replies and opinions, I will throw up an alternative tomorrow for comparison.

Matt

I like this so much so I have added as a favorite on Flickr and I too like the empty space on the right I think it adds to the image and if cropped would maybe lessen the overall impact of the lions expression, if that makes sense.....:)

Fav'd on flickr as well Matt, great image..... theres a few people who i'm sure would love that image.....lion Aid is a uk charity....Global march for lions is another (not sure where based though)

Very nice. Reminds me a bit of my favourite photographer - Nick Brandt.

Love that Matt :)

Yes there's opinion and debate to be had on whether there's too much or not enough space to the right or if the texture could do with tidying up around the edges . . . I really don't care though.
The image and the processing evokes a genuine emotional reaction in me and that makes it a fantastic success in my book.

I honestly don't think that you need to add the text to it though.
Just the image and the title speak volumes all by themselves.
The text on the face of the image just makes it a bit gimmicky IMO and loses some of the emotional impact - you really don't need it !!!

Love that Matt :)

I honestly don't think that you need to add the text to it though.
Just the image and the title speak volumes all by themselves.
The text on the face of the image just makes it a bit gimmicky IMO and loses some of the emotional impact - you really don't need it !!!

Could not have put it better if I tried..

I just keep coming back to look at it and every time I like more!!!! (without the text that is :))

Thanks guys, I did the text version for those that asked, the original version did what I wanted it to and is created exactly how I wanted. :)

I'm glad this image evokes the emotions it does, exactly what I wanted to do :)

Thanks again :)

..........could talk, we would still not understand him"

I read in the news today about some lioness and cubs in a zoo that had been put down, (story here) and it got me thinking about animals in captivity etc.

It took me back to a shot I took of a lion at Chester Zoo when I first got a DSLR, I remember the pose looked thoughtful and sad, so I decided to create something I've never done before to show how reading that story made me feel. I know this may be too much for some people but if you like it feel free to comment.

Hope it comes across.

I called it "If a lion could talk, we still would not understand him"

If a lion could talk, we could not understand him.
by mattd85, on Flickr

Very well caught - I think a more suitable Narrative would enhance this image

Like this for EG:

Les

Very well caught - I think a more suitable Narrative would enhance this image

Like this for EG:

Les

Interesting narrative Les...... one I quite like, but I feel it's at odds with the image presented.....
The image shows a lion dejected and forlorn.... his manner doesn't reflect strength, nor does he show the characteristic proud stance of a lion....
So on that basis I would prefer Matt's narrative.... but, feel the image looks better for having the empty negative space...

I disagree :p The Narrative says; Deafening WAS the Lions Roar and Terror WAS the way he Ruled, past tense and therefore: appropriate I feel, as he no longer has those attributes,hence his sad almost forlorn look

Les :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree :p The Narrative says; Deafening WAS the Lions Roar and Terror WAS the way he Ruled, past tense and therefore: appropriate I feel

Les :rolleyes:
I disagree...you wrote "In strength and pride he stands"..... And "terror was the was he rules"(note you wrote rules not ruled).... all implying present tense .... :)

Lol! Thanks @Lez325 but I much prefer my original version. I only added the text for those that asked, sorry mate haha.

Thanks again for the comments everyone.

Back