If Fuji X Pro 2 is Full Frame...

If the X Pro 2 is full frame will you ditch your apsc x series?

• Yes give me full frame

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Hells NO I dont need no full frame.

Votes: 11 91.7%

• Total voters
Edit My Images
No
Will you go full frame or not?

Can't see how it can be, it would mean developing an entire new lens range.

It seems to be being widely reported that they'll make a FF CSC in 2015 so we haven't got long to wait to see for sure.

It seems to be being widely reported that they'll make a FF CSC in 2015 so we haven't got long to wait to see for sure.

and 2014 once upon a time, and 2013...

Not sure what the need/want for it is to be honest, Fuji are barely scraping by financially with the X mount as it is, and a new mount will massively slow down development of the existing mount.

Maybe a nice full frame X100 type one-off, but a whole new system?

and 2014 once upon a time, and 2013...

Not sure what the need/want for it is to be honest, Fuji are barely scraping by financially with the X mount as it is, and a new mount will massively slow down development of the existing mount.

Fuji has the money to throw as much money as they like at developing cameras, they are a much bigger company than, say, Nikon. They can make all the lens systems and cameras they like.

I imagine it will still be X mount and move in the direction nikon went with dx fx lenses working on all bodies.

Where's the "3. silly question" option?

This poll assumes two things, a) that Fuji should decide to make an APS CSC with a new mount and lens line-up, and b) they'd muddle up the naming by calling it the X-Pro2 and not sensibly provide it with a new model designation.

To be fair, marketing isn't Fuji's strong point, so b) is perhaps more likely than a).

This rumour been going around for a while, anything possible but I heard they are working on a new kind of sensor for the X-pro2,but it may not be full frame :)

I think 'widely reported' might be over-egging the pudding a bit... ;)

Personally, I don't see the point of them going down the full-frame route. The current Fuji APS-C cameras fill a gap (or cater to a niche) depending on your proclivities!

Fuji has the money to throw as much money as they like at developing cameras, they are a much bigger company than, say, Nikon. They can make all the lens systems and cameras they like.

Throwing money at unprofitable projects is unlikely they're not ranked in the top 500 companies by throwing money at vanity projects. Personally I can't see Fuji wanting to fragment their small user base any more by releasing a FF sensor, but as I say thats my opinion FWIW

Steve

Throwing money at unprofitable projects is unlikely they're not ranked in the top 500 companies by throwing money at vanity projects. Personally I can't see Fuji wanting to fragment their small user base any more by releasing a FF sensor, but as I say thats my opinion FWIW

Steve

That is true, I also dont think they will go full frame, I just dont think it fits the point of the x series.

I imagine it will still be X mount and move in the direction nikon went with dx fx lenses working on all bodies.

Fuji does have a very dedicated photography dept,but at the end of the day its only 5.5% of their overall turn over, they did win the battle over updating their currant range of cameras with updates, but at the end of the day other divisions of the company have to look after their interest as well :)

I think 'widely reported' might be over-egging the pudding a bit... ;)

I'm not over egging anything and in fact I thought I'd included a note of caution. However, the better rumor sites seem to be pretty accurate and for sure they have better contacts than us randon peeps on a forum... and what they seem to be saying is that it's on the way... but as I said, time will tell.

PS. My vote is... Yup, the more full frame options the better.

I'm using old lenses on my A7 at their intended FoV and enjoying it much more than I did when I had my big fat 5D and its big fat lenses. FF, bring it on :D Choice is good.

Last edited:
Have just purchased the X-Pro 1 so these rumours are both disappointing and exciting at the same time, but even if it does appear the talk is that that will be a year and then an additional 18months, two years before it's priced at what I will consider an acceptable level. So that's three years to enjoy the 1!

Have just purchased the X-Pro 1 so these rumours are both disappointing and exciting at the same time, but even if it does appear the talk is that that will be a year and then an additional 18months, two years before it's priced at what I will consider an acceptable level. So that's three years to enjoy the 1!

If does come out it wont be cheap,i think you be looking at the £2000 mark maybe more

If does come out it wont be cheap,i think you be looking at the £2000 mark maybe more

You never know, look at the A7 which I think is the cheapest FF body. Leaving the optical flappy bits out seems to save a lot of money and looking at the cost of the A7 there does seem to be at least hope for a reasonably priced Fuji body.

You never know, look at the A7 which I think is the cheapest FF body. Leaving the optical flappy bits out seems to save a lot of money and looking at the cost of the A7 there does seem to be at least hope for a reasonably priced Fuji body.

i agree, i think fuji have shifted on price based on what they did with the x-t1. i think the last couple of years the manufacturers realize there is more to be made from volume sales which gets, in turn from good reviews, more sales. I think the D600 maybe led this. But I think they days of super expensive bodies is nearly over.

i agree, i think fuji have shifted on price based on what they did with the x-t1. i think the last couple of years the manufacturers realize there is more to be made from volume sales which gets, in turn from good reviews, more sales. I think the D600 maybe led this. But I think they days of super expensive bodies is nearly over.

Maybe your both right,but Fuji did say a while back they will be cutting back on the development of lower price ccs,as they found people who by theses tend to buy less lens to go with their cameras.
Whereas with their higher price models,people spend more money on lens.

:)

Maybe your both right,but Fuji did say a while back they will be cutting back on the development of lower price ccs,as they found people who by theses tend to buy less lens to go with their cameras.
Whereas with their higher price models,people spend more money on lens.

:)

I think they meant the X-M1 types, what I meant was I dont think we will see camears in the 2k price range much from them now. I think they will see that they also do need to leave some money left to buy lenses too!

Lets rephrase that, "it seems to be rumoured by a few Fuji sites such as fuji rumours". this rumour then being spread around other sites with nothing more than wild guesses and rumour as the basis.

its a rumour thats all, nothing more, and lets face it who is going to throw away a lens range thats still expanding and has cost millions in R&D as well as a whole customer base by telling them that all the lenses they have bought including the ones awaiting release both this year and in 2015 wont fit the new body?

Fuji said earlier on in the year that there are no plans to replace the X-Pro1 in the foreseeable future, they will wait until they have something special to offer with a newer flagship model.

Lets face the rumours got it wrong last time as all were claiming the imminent release of the X-pro2 back then, it was only when an insider leaked pics that they changed their minds and badged it the XT1.

Finally if you want to waste time chasing rumours and the next "big" thing, then be my guest, I'd rather get on with shooting with what I have and ignore the rumour/supposition & chase for the latest model.

Last edited:
Lets rephrase that, "it seems to be rumoured by a few Fuji sites such as fuji rumours". this rumour then being spread around other sites with nothing more than wild guesses and rumour as the basis.

its a rumour thats all, nothing more,...

It's being said by people who know more about the industry than you or I. But, as I've said twice now on this issue... time will tell... but personally as a FF CSC has already been done now (actually there are three from Sony, the A7, A7r and A7s) I think that it's only a matter of time before whoever can do one does.

I think they meant the X-M1 types, what I meant was I dont think we will see camears in the 2k price range much from them now. I think they will see that they also do need to leave some money left to buy lenses too!

Yep it always good to leave us with a few pennies to buy those lens with (y)

It's being said by people who know more about the industry than you or I. But, as I've said twice now on this issue... time will tell... but personally as a FF CSC has already been done now (actually there are three from Sony, the A7, A7r and A7s) I think that it's only a matter of time before whoever can do one does.

Search 'Full Frame' on Fuji Rumors, pretty much every other week since 2012 it's been claimed that sources have said it's coming soon. Throw enough darts and one will hit the bullseye eventually. All of the Rumour sites work on that principal, but people can't get enough of them.

The X-Pro2 was a slam dunk certainty many months ago, virtually right up to the X-T1 announcement (Fuji X forum even started a section on it, such was the confidence of sites like Fuji Rumors), look how that turned out.

Search 'Full Frame' on Fuji Rumors, pretty much every other week since 2012 it's been claimed that sources have said it's coming soon. Throw enough darts and one will hit the bullseye eventually. All of the Rumour sites work on that principal, but people can't get enough of them.

I've never been to that site :D and I can't understand why you guys are so anti FF.

Yes, the APS-C cameras are nice but your nice cameras wont stop working if a FF body comes out. Choice is good and personally I'm having great fun with my A7 and Rokkor and Zuiko lenses and the same fun will be possible if a Fuji FF comes out... and as I keep saying... people with more info than us are saying that it's probably going to come and lets face it even if these rumours didn't exist it's still a likely scenario as this seems to be the way the tech is heading. Time will tell. Have patience. Loose the fear guys... :D

Don't see why Fuji will need or want to develop a full frame XP2 with all the higher costs and larger more expensive lenses that it will have. A few more tweaks on the XP1 platform and it would be laughing.

I've never been to that site :D and I can't understand why you guys are so anti FF.

It's the assumption that anything that's not "full frame" is inferior that creates the problem - that Fuji aren't a "proper" camera company unless they produce a "full frame" camera. The worry is that Fuji will be pressurised into dividing their x-series by all these rumours and speculation, and as a consequence lose their focus and do-a-Sony (i.e. make a complete charlie-fox of their body/lens line-up and marketing). Fuji have already admitted that their marketing/release strategy with the X-series has been poor, changing sensor format isn't going to help.

Fuji made the APS-C decision for all the right reasons, they need to just stick to their convictions and keep the X-series as a strong line-up with full inter-compatibility. The road-map for the X-series isn't complete, there are identified gaps in the lens line-up still to be filled. Let's not push them into mistakes.

And even if the X-Pro2 (or whatever it's called) turns up as "full-frame", I'm not going to sell-up my X-Pro1 when it comes out. I picked it because it's right for me, and I predict it will be right for me for several years to come. Why the OP didn't include this less radical option on the poll suggests he was either out to create controversy or isn't someone who thinks much about the reasons people make camera choices.

Why the OP didn't include this less radical option on the poll suggests he was either out to create controversy or isn't someone who thinks much about the reasons people make camera choices.
The poll is simply full frame yes or no. Get over yourself.

The more you think about it, the less likely a full-frame CSC from Fuji becomes.

They might do a full-frame version of the X100 though, something like the Sony RX1.

My answer to OP/OT would be no,not that i got any thing against FF its just i would be able to afford to swap over to FF :)

It's the assumption that anything that's not "full frame" is inferior that creates the problem...

Good God. Anyone worried about this needs to lose the inferiority complex. As I mentioned, I have Sony A7 and MFT and don't see either as inferior, they're different and choice is good and good cameras don't stop working if new ones come out. Personally I hope Fuji do it at some point.

Good God. Anyone worried about this needs to lose the inferiority complex. As I mentioned, I have Sony A7 and MFT and don't see either as inferior, they're different and choice is good and good cameras don't stop working if new ones come out. Personally I hope Fuji do it at some point.

Exactly, there are plenty of APS options already available.. so why would Fuji need to divert their attention before they've finished the APS-C road map? That's my worry, that Fuji succumb from the pressure of the "X-series isn't serious until pro's take it seriously, pro's won't take anything less than APS seriously" mob and take the eye off the ball with the successful APS-C range they've developed. Sony are demonstrating very nicely why dividing your attention can lead to..

Exactly, there are plenty of APS options already available.. so why would Fuji need to divert their attention before they've finished the APS-C road map? That's my worry, that Fuji succumb from the pressure of the "X-series isn't serious until pro's take it seriously, pro's won't take anything less than APS seriously" mob and take the eye off the ball with the successful APS-C range they've developed. Sony are demonstrating very nicely why dividing your attention can lead to..

I hope they don't succumb and keep to their roadmap,Olympus havnt they still kept to their same sensor :)

My gut feeling is that there is a Full Frame sensor in development, perhaps from the new RGBW sensor which has been patented by Fuji, when or if, this emerges on to the market is anybody's guess !
http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2014-01-06 - you will have to Google translate this !

However, this link gives a bit of an explanation http://yournewsticker.com/2014/01/f...gbw-pixels-enlarged-green-white-channels.html

My bet is that If there is a FF out there, it would make sense to launch it in an X200 with a fixed lens to test the market first. If we look at the recent Fuji history, the CMOS and EXR processor that's exactly what happened with the X100, the X-Pro 1 emerged later with few prime lenses.

I think its inevitable and will happen to keep up and in step with Sony, Nikon and Cannon. Some purists will always prefer FF over CSC's. Fuji are probably aware of this and are loosing a big chunk of the market so it does make business sense.

Would I switch to a Fuji Full Frame ?

Well, that depends on so many factors not least money, the overarching reason would have to be exceptional quality that out-IQs anything that Nikon, Canon or Sony can offer. Lightness, portability, so many factors to consider. Never say never ! In a way, I hope they don't abandon the current X Series. There is something very special about the lenses and cameras that they have been prodding over the last few years and I have almost just completed my lens lineup !

Last edited:
My gut feeling is that there is a Full Frame sensor in development, perhaps from the new RGBW sensor which has been patented by Fuji, when or if, this emerges on to the market is anybody's guess !
http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2014-01-06 - you will have to Google translate this !

However, this link gives a bit of an explanation http://yournewsticker.com/2014/01/f...gbw-pixels-enlarged-green-white-channels.html

My bet is that If there is a FF out there, it would make sense to launch it in an X200 with a fixed lens to test the market first. If we look at the recent Fuji history, the CMOS and EXR processor that's exactly what happened with the X100, the X-Pro 1 emerged later with few prime lenses.

I think its inevitable and will happen to keep up and in step with Sony, Nikon and Cannon. Some purists will always prefer FF over CSC's. Fuji are probably aware of this and are loosing a big chunk of the market so it does make business sense.

Would I switch to a Fuji Full Frame ?

Well, that depends on so many factors not least money, the overarching reason would have to be exceptional quality that out-IQs anything that Nikon, Canon or Sony can offer. Lightness, portability, so many factors to consider. Never say never ! In a way, I hope they don't abandon the current X Series. There is something very special about the lenses and cameras that they have been prodding over the last few years and I have almost just completed my lens lineup !

But the only company with ccs that is FF is Sony,from a couple of dealer i spoke to its not a big seller,Nikon & Canon only have FF in their DSLR range only,and as i have said why no talk about Olympus going FF ?,people seem to be taking them ok without talk of a FF :)

What ever the rumour is, I don't see the need for them to do this. The detail and IQ of their latest sensors already match the results from the best full frame offerings by others, and it would make the outfits substantially larger.

I expect to see them enter the Full Frame market at some stage, but not with an X range camera.

Most of those 'rumour' sites are run by the same person. They need to post daily contact in order to get backlinks, repeat visits (and revenue) and they get far more wrong than they get right. Something being spread around a few 'rumour sites' and then linked to from a few other places hardly makes it widely reported. More like speculated than reported as well.

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/web-sites-on-web-server/ Found 20 domains hosted on the same web server as fujirumors.com (84.244.183.82).

43rumors.com

canonwatch.com

fujirumors.com

leica.slidoo.com

mirrorlessrumors.com

sonyalpharumors.com

ww2.43rumors.com

ww2.sonyalpharumors.com

ww3.sonyalpharumors.com

ww9.43rumors.com

www.43rumors.com

www.alphacameradeals.com

www.canonwatch.com

www.cubestories.com

www.frametheatre.com

www.fujirumors.com

www.greekdiaries.me

www.mirrorlessrumors.com

www.sonyalpharumors.com

www.thenakedcamera.com

That's the most sensible post I've seen in this thread yet! :D

;)...

My main concern with a new FF system is that they 'do a Sony', they just need to be very careful with how they bring it to market and place it alongside the current X system. Sony have made an unbelievable mess of their product lines with their whole Alpha/NEX/A Mount/E Mount/FE Mount nonsense, my wife owns a NEX body and even I who follows things quite carefully have lost track of what is going on now.

Back