If Fuji X Pro 2 is Full Frame...

If the X Pro 2 is full frame will you ditch your apsc x series?

• Yes give me full frame

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Hells NO I dont need no full frame.

Votes: 11 91.7%

• Total voters
For me, the joy of the X series is that it's so small and light compared to the FF Nikon system. Unless they can do something clever with an optical system so the crop lenses can be used, I'll be sticking with the systems I'm already using!

I'm not sure I'd want it FF. It seems to me the big advantage FUJI has is its small size, and FF would destroy that and would means producing a new lens range. I could see how the successor for the x100s may be but even then I'd question why it needs to be

For me, the joy of the X series is that it's so small and light compared to the FF Nikon system. Unless they can do something clever with an optical system so the crop lenses can be used, I'll be sticking with the systems I'm already using!

sometimes I wonder Is a D600 with and 85mm 1.8 and 35 f1.8g really THAT much heavier, not really. Just pointing it out.

FUJI VS NIKON WEIGHT DIFFERENCE

Not that I feel very strongly about this but its not such a big difference:
Fuji 56 1.2 (gives 1.8 dof) = 405g ------ Nikon 85 1.8g = 351g
Fuji 23 1.4 300g ------- nikon 35 1.8gfx - 305g

Nikon d600 weight = 760g
Fuji xt 1 weight = 440g

So total weight of Fuji = 1145g
Total weight of Nikon = 1416g

So the difference there is about 300grams. Just saying. Its all very well saying that the FUJI system is SO light, but compared to what?
I am sure that Nikon set up is a hell of a lot more powerful.

It just depends what lenses you buy and what you are doing with it. No big deal, im only saying as I own both cameras now but increasingly dont see the benefit of the FUJI system as it doesnt actually feel much lighter to me, so i did the maths and it isnt. The Nikon system is also cheaper.

I might be a bit shallow here but I own a D800E and a bag with the usual 2.8 zooms and plenty of other gear that makes it impractical to carry round on a daily basis so I ended up with a D5300, 35/1.8 and a 16-85 in my day bag, this combination worked perfectly but to be honest I never felt good with such a small camera so ended up with a X Pro 1 setup (5 lenses so am sure I'm not winning on weight) which just made more sense to me and provided a very positive user experience (am currently thinking of adding a X-M1 to the mix as I miss the convenience of the articulated screen for low shots)

Concerning the FF idea, this would be of no interest to me as I've already got this covered with my main gear, there are advantages to the crop sensor that makes it useful to have both options available

Full frame fixed lens X200 with 50mm+, then I'll jump on it right away! Providing it's not much bigger or heavier than current X100. But on the other hand, look at Sony RX1, the physical lens size can't change. They could do a Leica and try collapse-able lenses. :D

(35mm X100 combined with a 85mm X200 would take care of all situations, it'd be my dream setup :D ) (two X100 will still be lighter than 5D body only!)

Went out yesterday with X100 and 70-200 F4L and full frame DSLR. Came back much prefer X100 shots. X100 is fun to shoot, full frame DSLR is not.

To be honest, X100 is good for 90% of the situation. I don't even know why I am bothering with this heavy, ugly, loud and ancient SLR stuff. Full frame whoopeedoo, bigger lens, more back pain.

X100 is fun to shoot, full frame DSLR is not.

Thats the key difference to me and why I like Fuji, I dont think weight saving is all that valid. But the Fuji is just so much FUN!!!!

wouldn't it ruin the x100s(s) appeal by adding a longer lens?

Well, X100S stays for sale. Or they do a X200 and a X200T for telephoto?

End of the day, I now only use the DSLR for telephoto purposes. Despite owning Canon's F4L trinity, only the 70-200mm sees a tiny bit of action. I even had trouble finding the Canon charger last night! :oops: :$

I spent several hours wandering round last week with my new X-Pro and a lens, couldn't believe how light it felt compared to my D700 and a fast prime. It's not so much the weight on the scales, it's how heavy it feels after hauling it round on your shoulder after several hours that is key for me. Your opinion may differ!

I spent several hours wandering round last week with my new X-Pro and a lens, couldn't believe how light it felt compared to my D700 and a fast prime. It's not so much the weight on the scales, it's how heavy it feels after hauling it round on your shoulder after several hours that is key for me. Your opinion may differ!

its psychological imo, if you believe its light its light.

FUJI VS NIKON WEIGHT DIFFERENCE

Not that I feel very strongly about this but its not such a big difference:
Fuji 56 1.2 (gives 1.8 dof) = 405g ------ Nikon 85 1.8g = 351g
Fuji 23 1.4 300g ------- nikon 35 1.8gfx - 305g

Nikon d600 weight = 760g
Fuji xt 1 weight = 440g

So total weight of Fuji = 1145g
Total weight of Nikon = 1416g

So the difference there is about 300grams. Just saying. Its all very well saying that the FUJI system is SO light, but compared to what?
I am sure that Nikon set up is a hell of a lot more powerful.

It just depends what lenses you buy and what you are doing with it. No big deal, im only saying as I own both cameras now but increasingly dont see the benefit of the FUJI system as it doesnt actually feel much lighter to me, so i did the maths and it isnt. The Nikon system is also cheaper.

As you say depend on what lens you are using.

Me Was Nikon D700 main lens 24-70mm now XT-1 18-55 big saving in weight :)
Plus Nikon 85mm F1.4 600grams Nikon 35mm F1.4 595 grams

Last edited:
40D + Sigma 30/1.4
822g + 407g = 1,229g

X-P1 + Fuji 35/1.4
450g + 187g = 637g

That's a massive weight saving from where I'm coming from..

Guys if you want light weight full frame its their if you want it. I have proved that. You can select heavier lenses if you want, but if you value light weight then it is there in full frame too. Its not my fault if you chose heavy lenses before when there are excellent light weight versions such as the 1.8 selection.

The nikon 50 1.8g is 185 grams and on full frame is a close equivalent to the fuji 35 1.4. same depth of field and same field of view.

Its there if you want it. Even if the Nikon lens is slightly lighter ;)

Please dont think Im saying that simply the Nikon setup is lighter, I know it isnt. What im saying is that you can have all of the benefits of the Nikon system in a very light weight setup if you want to. Its not much heavier than the fuji system IF you are willing to work with the correct lenses such as the 1.8g range.

Last edited:
d700 plus sigma 35mm f1.4 prime is 1.8kg. X-pro plus 35mm f1.4 prime is about 700g. It feels light, because it is light, especially after a few hours walking round!!

the 35 1.4 on fuji is equivalent to the 50 1.8 on nikon, then the weight saving isnt so much.

Umm.. the Nikon D600 body without batteries and card is heavier than the full-loaded X-P1 + Fuji 35/1.4, I could even throw in the 27/2.8 and not dip the scales towards the Fuji..

So unless these fantastic f/1.8 lenses have some truly unique physical properties we don't know about.. ..

the 35 1.4 on fuji is equivalent to the 50 1.8 on nikon, then the weight saving isnt so much.
That's as maybe but I personally don't have that lens. For me, the fuji is a perfect lightweight walkabout setup. I now use the D700 for other stuff where it's strengths lie and where it's weight is less of an issue or where I'm prepared to tolerate it's weight.
For me the original question of a fuji full frame is a no, as I already have a full frame camera and I'm not prepared to buy into yet another lens system (presuming that the XF lenses won't work on a hypothetical fuji full frame camera).

Umm.. the Nikon D600 body without batteries and card is heavier than the full-loaded X-P1 + Fuji 35/1.4, I could even throw in the 27/2.8 and not dip the scales towards the Fuji..

So unless these fantastic f/1.8 lenses have some truly unique physical properties we don't know about.. ..

300 grams. if that kills you then ...... ;)

Dont get me wrong guys, I love the fuji, im using it so much, but im just saying the weight saving thing, yes its there its just not all that to me. as i use it more im thinking more and more that we are talking a couple of hundred grams in some instances, more in others. thats all. fuji is way more fun, THAT is what matters to me.

300 grams. if that kills you then ...... ;)

Closer to 600g from the body I came from, and the camera bag ended up almost half the volume and over 2kg lighter.

Besides, no matter how light the Nikon is - it can't shoot for sh*t some of the lenses in my camera bag (CZ Planar 50/1.4 HFT, CZ Teletessar 135/4 HFT), so it was never an option for me anyway.

Please, please don't go there! Some people buy fast to gather light, not for ultra thin DoF, therefore f1.4 is f1.4, regardless.

I travelled around the US with an X-E1, 14mm, 35mm, 60mm and 55-200mm, all very high quality lenses and it was very comfortable in a surprisingly small shoulder bag. 2 months later I was back in the US with a D600, 28mm 1.8 and 180mm 2.8. I'm sure the Nikon kit was much lighter overall, but it felt far more unwieldy travelling around, particularly when leaving the body and lens slung over my shoulder. I think that's the important thing, how comfortable you feel with it.

Dont get me wrong guys, I love the fuji, im using it so much, but im just saying the weight saving thing, yes its there its just not all that to me. as i use it more im thinking more and more that we are talking a couple of hundred grams in some instances, more in others. thats all. fuji is way more fun, THAT is what matters to me.
If you find the fuji more fun, then that's the most important thing! :)
I guess the weight thing is relative to what you are used to, I've used big heavy film and digital SLR's and fast zooms and primes for several years so for me the fuji is a bantamweight by comparison!

Web rumours aside, it's an accepted buisness strategy to start a rumour and put it 'out there' to test the water and get some feedback. The beauty of this is that it can be denied at a later date or changed. Information is put out there on web sites by Business Intelligence Analysts who then gage the response and report back to the companies.

The British Government have been leaving 'leaked' reports in filling cabinets for years and selling them or leaving a briefcase on a train with an important document in. It gets reported to the press as a big news story everybody reports it comments it, the Government then get the feedback back, they either go with it the plan / project or deny it !

Keep all this in mind next time you visit one of the Rumour Sites !

Salient points on the X Pro 2 as recorded in this thread (and other sites) will be of great use to Buisness Intelligence Analysts.

Last edited:
:plus1:

BUT, an FF X200 with a similar lens system to the XF-1 would have me queuing!

Web rumours aside, it's an accepted buisness strategy to start a rumour and put it 'out there' to test the water and get some feedback. The beauty of this is that it can be denied at a later date or changed. Information is put out there on web sites by Business Intelligence Analysts who then gage the response and report back to the companies.

The British Government have been leaving 'leaked' reports in filling cabinets for years and selling them or leaving a briefcase on a train with an important document in. It gets reported to the press as a big news story everybody reports it comments it, the Government then get the feedback back, they either go with it the plan / project or deny it !

Keep all this in mind next time you visit one of the Rumour Sites !

Salient points on the X Pro 2 as recorded in this thread (and other sites) will be of great use to Buisness Intelligence Analysts.

Hi, :plus1:.

Back