If only.....

I sometimes forget to change my shutter speed from the previous shot too!

Sometimes Auto ISO with an upper threshold limit can help but you may have already set Auto ISO.

Lol, I know this feeling too, "drat" is putting it mildly. :LOL:

Or a higher ISO, good try tho
Hard luck Russ. There's always tomorrow.
I sometimes forget to change my shutter speed from the previous shot too!
Sometimes Auto ISO with an upper threshold limit can help but you may have already set Auto ISO.
Lol, I know this feeling too, "drat" is putting it mildly. :LOL:
Many thanks guys.:)
- I shoot in Av mode, and had set ISO 250 for it perched....
IMG_3183-3.JPG

...and then it flew. Drat! Drat! I must anticipate better in future, and maybe set a higher ISO just in case. As John said there is always tomorrow :)

Russ

- I shoot in Av mode, and had set ISO 250 for it perched....

...and then it flew. Drat! Drat! I must anticipate better in future, and maybe set a higher ISO just in case.

....I used to shoot Av-mode (Canon D-SLR) but have been shooting manual M-mode for some time now and with Auto ISO (with a threshold limit). By having shutter speed on one control wheel and aperture on the other control wheel I can quickly (most of the time!) change the shutter speed to accommodate flight but also and perhaps more important, I use Back Button Focus > ONE SHOT on the AF-ON button and AI-SERVO on the asterix button alongside. Consequently I can quickly slide my thumb across between the two buttons.

Additionally you can custom assign settings such as AF Case etc to each of these buttons. It depends on which Canon body you shoot but it's not just the 1DX-2 which has such customising options and the new EOS R has even more custom control options!

I hope this might help but looking at that perched shot, you are doing very well indeed and we all miss shots!

Russ the perch shot is lovely. Very unusual perch and it's what makes the shot different in my eyes. Love it.

....I used to shoot Av-mode (Canon D-SLR) but have been shooting manual M-mode for some time now and with Auto ISO (with a threshold limit). By having shutter speed on one control wheel and aperture on the other control wheel I can quickly (most of the time!) change the shutter speed to accommodate flight but also and perhaps more important, I use Back Button Focus > ONE SHOT on the AF-ON button and AI-SERVO on the asterix button alongside. Consequently I can quickly slide my thumb across between the two buttons.
Additionally you can custom assign settings such as AF Case etc to each of these buttons. It depends on which Canon body you shoot but it's not just the 1DX-2 which has such customising options and the new EOS R has even more custom control options!
- Many thanks for your comments and suggestions Robin. I shoot with a 7D2 + 300f/2.8ii + x1.4iii extender, hand-held most of the time. I use BBF and AI Servo as you do. However, my attempts at Manual Exposure never seem to last, and I lapse back into Av mode. Sheer laziness I guess, or too set in my ways! :)
Cheers
Russ

I learnt this the hard way too Russ always expect the unexpected and thats something i always have in my head when i am photographing a single subject(y)
- I too thought I'd learnt this lesson years ago ,but on this occasion I was too excited at capturing a sitting Kingy - I guess I forgot they flew too ;)

Russ

Back