If you bought a Canon 450D and wanted..........

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
If you bought a Canon 450D and had the Sigma 150-500mm, Canon 50mm and the Canon 100mm macro, what lens would you buy for landscapes?

At the moment, I'm using the Canon 18-55mm and the Canon 18-135mm. I'm thinking about selling these two lenses with the Sigma 10-20mm and buying a decent EF lens.

I don't want to buy any EF-S lenses as I'll be upgrading to full-frame when I can.

I'm thinking of the Canon 24-105mm or the 24-70mm. But what would you guys and girls think?

Canon 17-40L would be the logical choice for landscapes if you are going full frame

You could look at my Flickr (link in sig) and see what lens would suit me best.

A nikon lens converter and a d810 body!

(Coat on ) exit stage left [emoji1]

16-35 f4 is great recommendation

I think the first thing you should do is decide the zoom range or prime length you're interested in.

From your choice of Canon EF zooms starting at 24mm I see you're not one who automatically believes that you need a wide angle for landscapes but if you were I'd suggest the excellent and FF compatible Sigma 12-24mm but as you're not I'll suggest the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 and the similar Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. These are APS-C lenses but they are good and compact and offer a couple of things those EF Canon's don't and definately offer advantages over the pedestrian on APS-C 17-40mm f4. IMO that lens makes no sense on APS-C.

If you buy a Sigma or Tamron used and sell if/when you go FF you wont lose your shirt, actually I bought my Tamron new and sold it years later for more than I paid for it :D

Alan.... I have the Sigma 10-20mm that I bought years ago, and ever since I bought it from Hong Kong (stupid mistake I ever made), I've had problems with the focus being soft on one side. The last time I tested the lens again, I had problems with it malfunctioning with the contacts. All my other lenses work perfectly but this lens doesn't. I gave up with the lens.

I'm wanting to stick with Canon lenses if I can. I'm not in a hurry buying a new lens, but I am thinking about getting rid of the 3 lenses.

I guess I should be a wide angle lens for landscape photography, it would be also be used for building interiors.

I'd sell them all and buy an ef-s lens in the form of the 15-85mm great walk about and decently wide unless you want ultra wide then I'd seek out a decent copy of the sigma. If or when you go FF sell and replace with an appropriate FF lens.

You could try the Sigma 24-70 f2.8, its FF compatable for when you move.

Sigma 12-24 will be plenty wide enough for most purposes even on a Canon crop body (19.2 - 38.4 EFL) and is fun on FF. Almost no distortion all the way through its range, although the perspective can be a bit extreme.

Think I'll stick with Canon lenses. But thank you for your suggestion :)

I'm sorry but there isn't a great landscape lens for crop that'll also be suitable for FF. It's a daft scenario.

At wider focal lengths every mm matters. And on crop that means that you want something that goes to at least 12mm.

Have a look at your landscape images and check the focal lengths. This would be easy to do in Lightroom or similar. And I'd be gobsmacked if you have a load of landscape images with focal lengths longer than 24mm.

Frankly you ought to be able to work this out for yourself, you have all the evidence needed to make the decision on your computer, you're not a beginner looking for your first landscape lens. I think what's making it difficult is that you want 2 things that are incompatible and you're hoping that someone else has a magic plan that'll do it for you.

What do you mean by this Phil?

A decent range WA zoom for landscapes for crop will be too wide for FF, and one wide enough for FF will be too long for crop.

There are lenses that'll fit both cameras, but they are for different jobs, 24mm on crop is just wide of standard, whereas on a crop it's genuinely WA.

Back