If you buy grey do you still register your products?

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
As the title says, if you buy grey camera or lenses do you still register with the manufacturer? Obviously you won't get UK warranty, but I'm thinking that you will still receive updates on firmware, recalls etc? Also, in the case of Nikon do your products still qualify for the NPU scheme? (I don't know what the other manufacturers equivalents are).

As the title says, if you buy grey camera or lenses do you still register with the manufacturer? Obviously you won't get UK warranty, but I'm thinking that you will still receive updates on firmware, recalls etc? Also, in the case of Nikon do your products still qualify for the NPU scheme? (I don't know what the other manufacturers equivalents are).
I don't see any negative if you did register them, no harm. :)

Yes my Nikon D810 is from the "grey" side and still upgraded the firmware and registered with Nikon

Thanks for the responses, I'll go ahead and register then (y)

Register for updates and to have a permanent record of equipment for insurance reference.

It depends if you can understand the Chinese or Japanese writing on the registration card so you can complete it and send it off!

Possibly less of an issue when registering online, although I suspect almost any current smartphone with an internet connection with give you a very workable translation of the Chinese text.

It depends if you can understand the Chinese or Japanese writing on the registration card so you can complete it and send it off!
I've never had to send in a warranty card unless claiming for a warranty repair. Registering online was just simply entering the serial number.

I registered my 12-40 Pro Olympus lens ( A Grey Import) with Olympus Cameras. All went through just fine. But when I looked at my account later, the lens registration was not there!!

At the photo show where the Olympus stand cleaned my camera and lens at no cost, (great service and thank-you), the speaker at the time ended his talk with a rant about grey imports..............

Over a year ago now, so there was no issue with the warranty. (Why would there be if you are buying the best they can make???)

I registered my 12-40 Pro Olympus lens ( A Grey Import) with Olympus Cameras. All went through just fine. But when I looked at my account later, the lens registration was not there!!

At the photo show where the Olympus stand cleaned my camera and lens at no cost, (great service and thank-you), the speaker at the time ended his talk with a rant about grey imports..............

Over a year ago now, so there was no issue with the warranty. (Why would there be if you are buying the best they can make???)
What was the rant about?

Canon user, all gear (Grey or otherwise) registered no problems. Couldn't get my free CPS otherwise!

Usually, simply registering a product doesn't involve any checking of serial numbers. It's only when you want to make some kind of claim that it gets looked at, and possibly rejected.

I have never registered any bit of camera gear primarily because Canon misuse the firmware updates to reduce the functionality of cameras, eg to prevent third party batteries etc. from being used. For this reason I will never update the firmware on any of my cameras.

What was the rant about?

Can't remember his name, but he gave a very good talk about sport photography at the Olympus Stand. I think he was seeded by the Olympus staff there. The "rant" was just about buying "cheap" lens or cameras from abroad. And he would rather pay the extra £100 for the warranty.. It came as a bit of a surprise, as the rest of the talk was very good.

it may have been sparked off as my Oly Em1 ii (UK Bought) with the Grey Import 12-40 Pro lens had just been cleaned................:-(

Can't remember his name, but he gave a very good talk about sport photography at the Olympus Stand. I think he was seeded by the Olympus staff there. The "rant" was just about buying "cheap" lens or cameras from abroad. And he would rather pay the extra £100 for the warranty.. It came as a bit of a surprise, as the rest of the talk was very good.

it may have been sparked off as my Oly Em1 ii (UK Bought) with the Grey Import 12-40 Pro lens had just been cleaned................:-(
Lol. Depending on the value, then I may be willing to pay £100 more for UK, but when you can get cameras like the D850 £1100 cheaper then it's hard to look past.

I have never registered any bit of camera gear primarily because Canon misuse the firmware updates to reduce the functionality of cameras, eg to prevent third party batteries etc. from being used. For this reason I will never update the firmware on any of my cameras.
Not really connected. I register my Canon camera kit with Canon. If nothing else, it gives me access to Canon software. I have never updated the firmware on any of my kit as there has never been a need.

I bought a Canon lens from HDEW a couple of months back. It came with a warranty for US and Canada. A common occurrence with this company and they advise to contact them if there’s a problem during the length of the warranty. Decided to try registering with Canon, even though some posters on this site said they had had problems getting registered because the warranty card wasn’t for the UK. I had no problems at all but I don’t know if it was necessary.

Lol. Depending on the value, then I may be willing to pay £100 more for UK, but when you can get cameras like the D850 £1100 cheaper then it's hard to look past.
Even factoring in the tax that is typically dodged, the official UK stock looks overpriced by about £500.

I bought a Canon lens from HDEW a couple of months back. It came with a warranty for US and Canada. A common occurrence with this company and they advise to contact them if there’s a problem during the length of the warranty. Decided to try registering with Canon, even though some posters on this site said they had had problems getting registered because the warranty card wasn’t for the UK. I had no problems at all but I don’t know if it was necessary.

I believe that Canon “Lens” warranty is a worldwide one. But Canon Body warranty’s aren’t.

Back