If you could turn back time

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
IF you could turn back time and go back too school, what would you do in prep for your working life and what would you want too be ?

I always wanted to be a firefighter since being a kid so I already have my dream job :)

I would have not messed about so much and left with a few more qualifications than i did. But i too got the job i had always wanted to do and after 15yrs of being a prison officer i took early retirement after an accident and now run my own company. But i miss my school days and my school friends and would do it all again if i could.

Stood up to the bully's so i could get on with school as it is i missed so much.

Finished my Law degree :(
(I dropped out in the final year to take care of my mum when she was terminally ill, and never went back)

If I could turn back time ....

If I could find a way ....

well, I think what I would do is take back those words that hurt you and you'd stay

:shrug:

I wish one of my teachers had said, "guys, if you study economics and work in the city you can retire before you're 30!".

ZoneV said:
I wish one of my teachers had said, "guys, if you study economics and work in the city you can retire before you're 30!".

Lol EXACTLY!

At my school the careers advice was pretty much non existent and, with hindsight, good advice pretty much shapes the start of adult life.

Andy

Keebsuk said:
Lol EXACTLY!

At my school the careers advice was pretty much non existent and, with hindsight, good advice pretty much shapes the start of adult life.

Andy

"Psst, young Zonev, here's a little secret - get yourself to uni to study economics, then get a job in the city. Concentrate on maths and English here, don't waste too much time on the rest (especially the soft stuff) just enough to get the grades you need..."

That would've been a useful chat.

Last edited:
probably pay more attention during Alevels and get better results (id also do maths and physics rather than english and computing), id have still ended up doing the same degree at the same place but id have been better prepared for it!

id also have concentrated on my degree in the final year (really let myself down!) so i got a better final clasification which would have improved my empoloyability.

as for what i wanted to be at school i didnt have a clue, it was only at the end of my Alevels that i decided!

Wished I hadnt listened when I was told the pot of gold wasnt at the end of the rainbow but was in the city :D:D

Very very few get that oppurtunity

I'd have told my teachers that I’m real, I do it all, it’s all me. I’m not fake, don’t ever call me lazy!!!

I won’t stay put, give me the chance to be free. Suffolk sadly seems to sort of suffocate me.

Do maths A level, wouldnt have been fun but it sure as hell would have been useful

I would do it all over again but worse, that would tell em I wasnt that bad the first time around :D

Don't think I'd change a thing from when I was at school to be honest. I'm happy with my job, been there 33 years in September. Probably one or two small things I'd change that I've done since, but I'm fairly happy with my lot.

Buy a (future) winning lottery ticket so that I could retire with a few £££ in the bank.

I would turn the clock back to 3pm today so i could have another bit of TOAST ooops wrong thread :D

Triple that

Or stay away from the techie side (fixing machines) of IT and go into consultancy

It's IT as the career option which sucks. Even consultancy isn't that great (a friend does it). Geekery done for fun is a whole lot better.

I'm going to try and find a job that requires hiding in a server room all day away from idiots lol

See TP Jobs Bulletin board :LOL:

From the time I had my first computer (ZX81 when I was 12, 31 years ago :eek:) I knew I wanted to work with computers, probably programming them. I focused on maths and science subjects as that was what I was interested in, did an engineering degree at university (back when there was only one university in Bristol) and got a programming job. Since it's a very small company, we don't have anything like an "IT department" or IT policy for that matter, everyone looks after their own computer and I look after the network and servers as I don't mind doing it (and own an RJ-45 crimp tool and Krone tool, plus have a reel of cat5e cable, which the company doesn't :LOL: )

Wouldn't change any of it, at least not the core parts. I'm not well paid compared to many of my contemporaries (esp the ones that did economics), but I like the work and I get to be a geek and get paid for it.

I'd have opted for music instead of drama..... just for my own personal satisfaction that I could have led a second-life as a Bon Jovi lookalike :LOL:

I'd have done a Uni degree when it was free, rather than paying £10k on fees. On a positive note, at least I did it before the fees increasedly massively otherwise I'd be looking at a stonking £27k!

Back