If you had £300 to spend on photography, what would you do?

I have a tripod I'm happy with so I think I'd rule that one out. I'm thinking a trip to scotland shooting deer and red squirrel would be a good idea. Anyone suggest a good place to bunk up for the night thats close to good areas that'd be within budget?

I would use it as an 'eBay rental fund' for some guaranteed photography fun.

What I mean by that is this:

A lot of secondhand camera gear depreciates to a point where it sort of maintains its deflated value and never really gets any cheaper. So you get can something for £300, use it for a month, then sell it again for the same price. Selling on eBay means you lose a few quid on fees but you could always sell on here or elsewhere. If you're savvy with what you buy you can even make a small profit.

Think about it the fun you could have trying out completely random photographic kit once a month for a year (blog idea!).

FILM IDEAS
Medium format TLR (like a yashica mat)
Classic SLR
Rangefinder like a Bessa + nice lens

DIGITAL IDEAS
Canon 5D (A FF digital classic)
Fisheye lens
Sigma 105 macro (for some macro fun)

Could be a fun year! And at the end of the year - you will still have your £300 (or a large chunk of it). Just a few quid month to month for film+dev if you pick film cameras. You could even make a profit.

Who knows, you could even discover a whole new aspect of photography you've never considered before.

Great idea

I would put it towards the 18-135 WR XF I have on preorder. Probably not a lot of use to the OP though! Other than that, I'm pretty happy with what I've got in the way of kit so it would probably go on inks and paper to feed my printer or fuel to get me out shooting.

I have about £300 coming my way in the next few weeks (which my better half has given me permission to do with as I please) and I've been in a dizzy thinking about what to do with it. I'm looking at buying a 300mm 2.8, so could put it towards that, but I haven't bought anything camera related for a while now so part of me thinks hell with it, and buy something else.... like a nice 10-22mm perhaps, or a nice A3 printer. Which got me thinking, what would most folk do with that? And 'give it to me' is not a valid answer for all you funny people out there. You know who you are! o_O
you told your missus you had some spare money coming? Big Mistake. You'd best stay on her good side until you've spent it :p

I'd surprise my partner with a city break to a place where we haven't been. Use it both as a photo weekend and also as a thank you ;)

I'm thinking a trip to scotland shooting deer and red squirrel would be a good idea. Anyone suggest a good place to bunk up for the night thats close to good areas that'd be within budget?
Glen Affric Hostel.

I'd have sodded off to Arles Photo Festival with a spare £300.

I'd buy more batteries, as it's occurred to me this week that I gave my spares to my dad, so if I have a problem, I'm knackered!

Me? Book a trip to Venice, or maybe that will even stretch to Santorini. Great views, special architecture, sun and great food. You got me really craving for a nice warm holiday. Next summer I off there.

I have a tripod I'm happy with so I think I'd rule that one out. I'm thinking a trip to scotland shooting deer and red squirrel would be a good idea. Anyone suggest a good place to bunk up for the night thats close to good areas that'd be within budget?

Have you booked the trip yet :D

I'd choose a solid tripod and some faster transfer speed cards and a usb 3.0 card reader makes hell of a difference

I'd choose a solid tripod and some faster transfer speed cards and a usb 3.0 card reader makes hell of a difference
I've got all that. Although You can never go wrong with extra cards i suppose.

Have you booked the trip yet :D
No not yet. We have a week on the Isle of Wight in two weeks and its not costing us a penny. So I'm going to try make the most of thatat the moment. That being said, it hasn't stopped me looking for trips away. Started off with scotland, and within about 10 minutes found myself looking at the likes of jamaica! How'd that happen?????

250 rolls of agfa from poundland and 50 on a nice camera and lens off the bay or your nearest charity shop

Premier Inn @ Fort William will put you in range of Red deer Red Squirrels and some amazing scenery around Ben Nevis

here- http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/...U_A2PDkbp-yg33GnXRJXcpObUKXCuaIMGoaAp-m8P8HAQ

Les

No not yet. We have a week on the Isle of Wight in two weeks and its not costing us a penny. So I'm going to try make the most of thatat the moment. That being said, it hasn't stopped me looking for trips away. Started off with scotland, and within about 10 minutes found myself looking at the likes of jamaica! How'd that happen?????

I know that to happen :D

Well I've got a bit of paid work coming up in a weekor so and iI'm using the money to go towards a trip to london with the family as I have never been.

London is a great city. Something for everyone.

Loads of great photo opportunities but I'd try getting off the beaten track too. Spitalfields and Borough markets worth a look on Saturday. Shad Thames for portraits...

My Affric hostel suggestion was ultra-serious, but obviously hasn't found a taker. It would put you right into the wilderness - and does involve a walk-in, but there's stuff to enjoy (& photograph) along the way. The Premier Inn idea sounds like advertising, whereas my suggestion involves so much effort that it's exempt from that slant. And there's a bit of a dichotomy between the sterile comfort of a Premier Inn and the urge to access wild creatures.

I'd have sodded off to Arles Photo Festival with a spare £300.
You could've done the Eye festival at Aberystwyth (end of June) for a third of that?

You could've done the Eye festival at Aberystwyth (end of June) for a third of that?

Wales.... or south of France... let me think for a minute.....

:)

Reactions: Nod
My Affric hostel suggestion was ultra-serious, but obviously hasn't found a taker. It would put you right into the wilderness - and does involve a walk-in, but there's stuff to enjoy (& photograph) along the way. The Premier Inn idea sounds like advertising, whereas my suggestion involves so much effort that it's exempt from that slant. And there's a bit of a dichotomy between the sterile comfort of a Premier Inn and the urge to access wild creatures.

I stay there twice a year it is a great base for British/ Scottish wildlife and the surrounding scenery along the west coast and including the isle of Skye is amazing

Les ;)

London is a great city. Something for everyone.

Loads of great photo opportunities but I'd try getting off the beaten track too. Spitalfields and Borough markets worth a look on Saturday. Shad Thames for portraits...
London is a great city, but i've been there a lot recently visiting family. You're right, Borough market is fantastic for street photography.

I was thinking about the two choices, but I thought I'd better give the other half the deciding vote as I really should keep her happy. Plus if she thinks that its actually her idea, I may get to keep my dosh to spend on equipment anyway! :naughty:

The thinking man's choice! Always worth keeping the ladies as happy as possible (and letting them think they have a say in our lives...)

Back