Answered Ignore Thread Add-On

Sky

Name
Trevor
Edit My Images
Yes
With this great community offering mostly interesting forums and topics, I've always felt that TP fails in just one way; the inability of the user to be able to ignore or unsubscribe from threads or forums they aren't interested in.

A lot of people's answer will of course be 'Don't read them then.' Well I don't, but I still have to see lots of stuff I just don't want to see. :facepalm:

It's possible that you're all aware of this add-on, but just in case you're not; maybe you would take a look and give it some consideration?

I'm sure I can't be the only user that would like to see this feature added?

Thank you.

Last edited:
You aren't the first person to mention it Trevor.

We do have a few things to sort out, / discuss, once the forum has fully migrated to another server ( fairly imminent now, this coming week hopefully).
We will discuss this among other things.

For now, I'm sure you know there is a mark forum / thread read function,
And also an unsubscribe / unwatch button.
Unless you reply to that thread, you won't get anymore notifications.

edit, @lindsay56 @sirch another one for the note book I think..

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky
I've just edited my first post here chaps as the original link I provided was dead.

I wonder if you have given more thought to this idea?

I know these little addons will put the bill up a little bit, but in this instance I'd be happy to put my money where my mouth is and buy this addon for you.

Anything would be better than having to skip through some of the off-topic crap that's posted on here so regularly. I've tried adding the most common offenders to my ignore list, but of course that only ignores their posts, not the replies.

I noticed a few days ago that @Jelster was asking for a similar facility.

TIA. :)

I've just edited my first post here chaps as the original link I provided was dead.

I wonder if you have given more thought to this idea?

I know these little addons will put the bill up a little bit, but in this instance I'd be happy to put my money where my mouth is and buy this addon for you.

Anything would be better than having to skip through some of the off-topic crap that's posted on here so regularly. I've tried adding the most common offenders to my ignore list, but of course that only ignores their posts, not the replies.

I noticed a few days ago that @Jelster was asking for a similar facility.

TIA. :)

I do like that idea...

I must be honest and say that nearly a year on, I'd forgotten all about it.
I've opened it up in the staffroom for discussion.

Its been discussed and rejected for the following reason(s)
We don't think it is good for the community to have people who just post in their own threads and ignore everything else or ignore whole swathes of the site, we are trying to encourage people to use more than one or two forums or threads.
If you ignore most other sections, you never know what you may have missed.

Of course there are and always will people that just post in the likes of hot topics and never venture into the photographic areas.
And other people never leave, the bird section, for example.
We have no control over the above, but we just try and encourage people to make full use of the forum, and sub forums.

1) I assume you know you can collapse any of the forum groups by clicking the - sign at the side of any forum header.
2) We can and have, on request removed peoples access from Hot Topics, OoF & the sales area,
to the point that they can't see those forums when they go to the forums list.
Its as though they don't exist, to them.

If these are the ones bugging you let me know and I'll add you to the "can't see" group.

We don't think it is good for the community to have people who just post in their own threads and ignore everything else or ignore whole swathes of the site, we are trying to encourage people to use more than one or two forums or threads.

I can see why you would want to do that, but IME it has the opposite effect and drives people away altogether. Besides, I don't want to drop out of any forums - I just want to ignore the threads that I'm not interested in, which are mostly the ones where there is most 'bickering' between the resident forum 'tossers'. :troll:

In the same vein, I wouldn't want to force a subject I feel strongly about down anyone else's throat. They should be able to ignore my thread/s equally.

If you ignore most other sections, you never know what you may have missed.

Ah, but that's the trouble - I do. :(

1) I assume you know you can collapse any of the forum groups by clicking the - sign at the side of any forum header.

I do thanks Chris, but like most people; I use the forum by checking my notifications first and then clicking on New Posts.

2) We can and have, on request removed peoples access from Hot Topics, OoF & the sales area,

I don't partake in HT (for obvious reasons) and I like the Sales area as I use it regularly. OOF is where the problem lies, but I don't want to miss out on those threads that I am interested in, I just want to be able to ignore the irritating (to me) ones. I don't read them anyway, but it annoys me that I have to see them repeatedly.

I'm sure if a vote were to be put to the membership a lot more would want this facility.

As an analogy, I refuse to have a TV Licence because I hate the BBC and will not support them. I also choose to ignore all broadcast TV because I hate adverts. Although, it costs me more, I subscribe to Internet Streaming Services like Amazon, Netflix, Disney and Now so that I don't have to put up with them.

Anyway, moving on. I respect your decision even though I think it's wrong, but my offer of paying for the addon still stands if your collective minds are changed any time soon. (y)

Thanks all for discussing it for me anyway - much appreciated. :)

but IME it has the opposite effect and drives people away altogether
I suspect that they just continue to stick to their own areas.
When people leave, some like to let us know why, this has never been a reason.

OOF is where the problem lies, but I don't want to miss out on those threads that I am interested in, I just want to be able to ignore the irritating (to me) ones.
If you put the thread starter on ignore, you will no longer see that thread,
or any other they start for that matter.
So there is actually a selective opt out.

but it annoys me that I have to see them repeatedly.

, I'm on a couple of other non related forums and yes there are some people on these that annoy me by breathing.
I just move on as soon as I see their names next to a post. Its easy :)

I'm sure if a vote were to be put to the membership a lot more would want this facility.
We'll never know ;)

But after a quick search I can count on one hand the people that have mentioned it

my offer of paying for the addon still stands if your collective minds are changed any time soon. (y)
That's a very kind offer Trevor, thank you.
However its not happening, even if it was a free option.

to the point that they can't see those forums when they go to the forums list.
Its as though they don't exist, to them.

1) used to carry over from session to session so the Classies (in my case) could be left collapsed but could be revealed at the touch of a + sign. I'm much better at delivering myself from temptation these days so haven't quite needed to go down the 2) route and manage to stay out of the place unless the most recent post there has a title I can't resist and then I indulge in a little window shopping. Only cost me a watch and a Fuji Macro recently... :)

Back