Iguassu falls in Brazil .....equipment advice please

George

Chasseur Haggis extraordinaire
Edit My Images
Yes
I am shortly going to Brazil primarily to visit the Pantanal for wildlife photography, but will be spending a few days at the falls prior to the Pantanal and am looking for first hand advice from someone who has been there.

My question is....will I need to take my 16-35 or will a 24-70 be sufficiently wide?....on FF body.

I'd rather not cart around the 16-35 for the whole trip unless I have to as I won't require it for any of the other visits.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, George.

I know this doesn't answer your question but I plan on going there and I would go as wide as possible, I have seen a friends pics and WOW!

Unlike the Argentinian side, in the Brazilian side the falls aren't "in your face". They are further away, showing a broad landscape while still being powerful.
If you have a telephoto zoom lens, like a 70-200mm, definitely bring it with you. It will be used extensively, I can assure you that.
As for the other focal lengths - if you bring a telephoto, ditch the 24-70 and go with the 16-35. If you don't take a telephoto with you, perhaps the 24-70 can fill that role somwhat.
Mind you, I was there with a paltry superzoom (yikes) before I ever thought I'd outgrow it. And outgrow it I did. Damn it, wish I was there with the proper gear I have now. :olympus:

Edit: I've just re-read your post and noticed you'll be in the Pantanal, so you surely do have a telephoto. I was there, too - again, with that superzoom. Any questions about that, feel free to ask - but remember I wasn't experienced back then. :(

Last edited:
Thanks Paul and Ido, just to clear up I'll be taking a 70-200 2.8 a 24-70 and a 300 2.8 prime with 1.4 and 2x extenders along with a couple of ff bodies, the only question is whether I NEED MY 16-35 as well, but suppose it's better to take it just in case.
Hoping to get some moon bow shots as well as it's just after the full moon, could be interesting.
Will be visiting both sides (Brazil and Argentinian) and looking forward to it immensely!!

Thanks Paul and Ido, just to clear up I'll be taking a 70-200 2.8 a 24-70 and a 300 2.8 prime with 1.4 and 2x extenders along with a couple of ff bodies, the only question is whether I NEED MY 16-35 as well, but suppose it's better to take it just in case.
Hoping to get some moon bow shots as well as it's just after the full moon, could be interesting.
Will be visiting both sides (Brazil and Argentinian) and looking forward to it immensely!!
If I were you, again, I'd do the opposite - take the 16-35 and leave the 24-70. I know many will disagree, but I just think that a 16-35 + 70-200 setup is more versatile than a 24-70 + 70-200 setup.

Ah well, think I'll take them both.....

Back