Ilford Hypam fixer shelf life (opened)

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Afternoon happy snappers,

Returned to fillum after a bit of a dry spot and I am currently using some Ilford Hypam which I opened in August 2015. I am not sure how long I should expect this to last?

It seems to work, I am testing with a bit of film each time and I am starting to use it for one use only when mixed rather than reusing it.

How rapidly (see what I did there..... ) does it stop working? Does it tail off gradually or does it just go off and give up leaving me stuck?

I am supposed to fix for five minutes but I am also adding a minute for good luck....

TIA

Mark

Fixer lasts virtually indefinitely.
the rule of thumb is fix for twice the time it takes to clear. testing with a bit of film is the best check. It slowly clogs up with silver, and will eventually start redepositing metallic silver. back on to the emulsion when it is exhausted, at that stage it will be unable to clear the film.

exhausted fixer often starts to smell of sulphur.

Last edited:
Thanks Terry, if it lasts almost indefinitely unmixed then I should be fine.

Mark

This is from Ilford Hypam instructions:

"Unreplenished HYPAM working strength solutions should last for up to:-
6 months in full tightly capped bottles 2 months in a tank or dish/tray with a floating lid 1 month in a half full tightly capped bottle. 7 days in an open dish/tray.

STORAGE Full, unopened bottles of HYPAM concentrate stored in cool conditions, 5–20ºC (41–68ºF), will keep for two years. Once opened use completely within six months and keep all bottles tightly sealed until used."

This is from Ilford Hypam instructions:

"Unreplenished HYPAM working strength solutions should last for up to:-
6 months in full tightly capped bottles 2 months in a tank or dish/tray with a floating lid 1 month in a half full tightly capped bottle. 7 days in an open dish/tray.

STORAGE Full, unopened bottles of HYPAM concentrate stored in cool conditions, 5–20ºC (41–68ºF), will keep for two years. Once opened use completely within six months and keep all bottles tightly sealed until used."

I used to buy fixer from Kodak in 25 litre cubitainers. And used it diluted in a 3 gallon tank. Never once did it go off unless it was contaminated with developer.
Diluted for print, dish use, it was changed one a week and just topped up in between. The dish was 20x30 inch size and left open.

Even developer lasted for 6 months in 3 gallon tanks with a floating lid, and kept topped up with replenisher. Print Developer was fresh each day and topped up as needed.

I think Ilford have been excassively cautious in their advice. A bit like sell by dates for dry goods.

Back