Ilford Ortho 80

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought there'd be some comment about this film on here, but I can't find very much...

I've just finished a roll of Tri-X and was about to reload, when I thought, hey it's bright, maybe some FP4+? Then I got the FP4 out and there beside it was the single roll of Ortho 80 I got to pad out an order for free postage (cheap, me???). So, it's probably bright enough over the next week to shoot it hand-held... but does anyone have any idea what sort of conditions would favour it? Is continuing bright sunny weather (as we have on offer here in the West Midlands for the next week) appropriate, or would it suit moody skies better?

I have not shot the new Ilford Ortho in 120, though I've recently tried the other widely available ortho film, the Rollei 25, which is perhaps similar in that it's red insensitive. I shot the roll in bright sunny weather and didn't think it was at its best there (of course it might have been my technique and lack of experience with it).

What I find ortho film mesmerising for is these quirky/moody female portrait shots under overcast skies, for instance

Ilford Ortho 120 - portrait 1
Ilford Ortho 120 - portrait 2
Ilford Ortho 120 - portrait 3
Ilford Ortho 120 - portrait 4

But also a certain style of architectural or landscape photography meant to communicate banality and bleakness, for instance

Ilford Ortho 120 - landscape example
Ilford Ortho 120 - architecture example 1
Ilford Ortho 120 - architecture example 2
Ilford Ortho 120 - architecture example 3

I have not shot the new Ilford Ortho in 120, though I've recently tried the other widely available ortho film, the Rollei 25, which is perhaps similar in that it's red insensitive. I shot the roll in bright sunny weather and didn't think it was at its best there (of course it might have been my technique and lack of experience with it).

What I find ortho film mesmerising for is these quirky/moody female portrait shots under overcast skies, for instance

Ilford Ortho 120 - portrait 1
Ilford Ortho 120 - portrait 2
Ilford Ortho 120 - portrait 3
Ilford Ortho 120 - portrait 4

But also a certain style of architectural or landscape photography meant to communicate banality and bleakness, for instance

Ilford Ortho 120 - landscape example
Ilford Ortho 120 - architecture example 1
Ilford Ortho 120 - architecture example 2
Ilford Ortho 120 - architecture example 3

Before the war Ortho film was all there was.and ISO 80 would have been a Fast film.and when you look at work of that time the tonality was "beautiful"
I was still using Ortho Verichrome and Selochrome well in to the 50's Verichrom Pan came out in 1956.
It dramatically changed the effect of our usual filters. The most popular Yellow/green lost its charm with pan film.

Thanks @trypdal those examples are interesting...

So could it be a bit like shooting FP4 with a red filter?

Terry, you say the yellow filter loses its charm, is that because you're already losing the red end of the spectrum?

Thanks @trypdal those examples are interesting...

Terry, you say the yellow filter loses its charm, is that because you're already losing the red end of the spectrum?
The red end does not exist at all on ortho film.
The first pan film were if anything over red sensitive, and retained the overly blue sensitivity of ortho films.
So the characteristics of filters between the two film types was very different.

I would suggest that you use a yellow green on your ortho film. In some respects it will seem like a strong yellow or orange on a modern film.
Some people started using blue filters for indoor portraits on the first pan films, but I guess a green would have darkened down the lips rather better, to nearer to what they had been used to getting with ortho films.
The yellow green on ortho darkens down skys to a medium light grey and lightens greenery. However it gives a 40's look to make up.
The film industry of the time used very strange green makeup by max factor, for ortho film, which came out looking very natural. It was used right up to the end of the 40's for BW films.

Well I believe some of the spectral properties of ortho film can be approximated, but not exactly reproduced, by using commonly available panchromatic film and a strong cyan filter or perhaps a strong blue filter. However a blue filter will rob you of - I believe - at least one stop.

Last edited:
Well I believe some of the spectral properties of ortho film can be approximated, but not exactly reproduced, by using commonly available panchromatic film and a strong cyan filter or perhaps a strong blue filter. However a blue filter will rob you of - I believe - at least one stop.
Clearly I was going bonkers, a red filter cuts out everything but red, so best avoided for ortho film!

I think I'd better give it a try...

Back