Ilford PANF 50…pink negatives anyone?

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello Folks

I have not shot PANF for a while…fresh film, fresh chemicals…same chemicals I used a day or 3 ago when I totally trashed a roll of FP4…

Any ideas? Will it lose it’s pinkness when dry?

Any inputs appreciated!

Is it all over - rebate as well as image area? My first thought was a persistent anti-halation dye but that should have washed out during development, any remaining should have gone during fixing and washing.

Pan F is a monochrome film so any pinkness will have little effect on the final print. Where it might have an effect is if you print the images optically on multi-grade photographic paper where the pink might have an effect on the contrast.

I can’t speak directly for pan F , however I occasionally have staining on different sheet films, fomapan and ilford.

Indeed it is the remains of anti halation.

Remedy is to return the film to an alkaline solution, thus a developer solution which removes the stains .

The film must already be fixed before doing this process.

There is no necessity to redo the stop/ fix stages, just wash as usual .

If you’re unsure if this will rectify your problem, perhaps try with one negative or even the film leader if that is also stained.

Is it all over - rebate as well as image area? My first thought was a persistent anti-halation dye but that should have washed out during development, any remaining should have gone during fixing and washing.

Pan F is a monochrome film so any pinkness will have little effect on the final print. Where it might have an effect is if you print the images optically on multi-grade photographic paper where the pink might have an effect on the contrast.
Cheers John

Yep, pink all over but better with drying this morning. It looks like the emulsion side.

I am improvising a bit until I have a proper set-up again…taped the film to the shower frame and when I took it down this morning there was a film wide pink patch on the frame where the film sat…

I can’t speak directly for pan F , however I occasionally have staining on different sheet films, fomapan and ilford.

Indeed it is the remains of anti halation.

Remedy is to return the film to an alkaline solution, thus a developer solution which removes the stains .

The film must already be fixed before doing this process.

There is no necessity to redo the stop/ fix stages, just wash as usual .

If you’re unsure if this will rectify your problem, perhaps try with one negative or even the film leader if that is also stained.

Thanks Asha

It was just weird to see. I mean I am not new to Ilford.

What I find strange is that I gave the film a PROPER soaking before developing…oh well.

Will scan as is first and then try your method, thanks!

Back