Ilford Price Increase?!

Edit My Images
Yes
This was taken from an american forum so I am not 100% sure it will effect us but it might be an idea to stock up now..

As a result of the unprecedented rise in the price of silver over the past
year, the key raw material in Photographic film and paper, Harman
Technology - Ilford and Kentmere branded products - have announced a
significant price increase effective Feb. 1, 2011. The increase applies to
all Silver Halide based products including Ilford and Kentmere black and
white papers, films and Scientific products. Chemical and accessory items
are not affected by this increase.

Due to stock limitations, we reserve the right to limit purchases on all
Ilford and Kentmere film and paper products that are covered by this
increase.

The increases..

HP5 8x10 current price is $105.33 new price is $124.19
FP4 120 Current price is $5.57 new price is $6.10
Multigrade Fibrebase Glossy 8x10 100 sheet current price is $98.61, new price is $124.26
Multigrade Fibrebase Warmtone Glossy 11x14 50 sheets current price is $122.80, new price is $154.72

Kenmere products have a price increase of 21% across the board.

Fuji have announced that their paper prices are set to rise by 20% worldwide after April for pretty much the same reasons:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Fujifilm_UK_forced_to_raise_paper_prices_news_304856.html

Fujifilm's Japanese headquarters blamed the 'soaring costs' of raw materials such as silver.

Asked how the price rises would affect this country, Fujifilm UK's marketing manager Peter Wigington told Amateur Photographer: 'Our intention is to implement paper price increases from 1 April 2011. I am sure you can appreciate that we can't announce any details until we have spoken directly with all our customers.'

He added: 'We have held off from increasing paper prices for as long as possible by absorbing the higher cost of raw materials that were being charged to us by our suppliers.

'Unfortunately the costs of these raw materials have continued to rise to such a level that we are now forced to pass these increases on to our customers.'

The chance is other brands (kodak,fuji...) will copy soon, the chance of me ever being able to afford a box of tmax is getting slimmer every day :crying:

To be fair though the price of silver has shot up massively recently. It doesn't make it any easier though, 20% is a big hike if you are more than an occsional shooter

And what's the betting the price won't come down if the price of silver falls.

20% is a huge increase.... especially at the retail end, how much percentage does the actual silver content make up of the raw material cost?

The increase comes into effect 1st Feb with 20% on paper and roll film. Sheet film +12%. I had a quick look at Adox materials at Silverprint and see they have whacked their prices up too so there's no escaping it. It's all down to China gobbling up resources.....

Some more info from APUG..

Dear All,

ILFORD Photo prices will indeed rise ex.factory from 1st February 2011. Firstly, let me assure you prices will NOT be rising across the board by 30.00% on film and paper.

We are absolutely determined to keep our product costs as low as possible, we have not had a worldwide price increase since September 2009, although some markets have had prices altered ad interim.

The cause of this increase is not only silver, but it is by far the biggest element, we have had significant rises in base costs, fine chemicals, taxation, employment costs, transport and energies. We have worked incredibly hard to try and offset these increases by cost savings and efficiencies in the factory and by necessity reducing staff numbers in 2009. HARMAN technology Limited had not planned ANY increase in prices AT ALL during 2011.

We always monitor silver prices on a daily basis, the huge incremental rise in the last four months was not expected, we had envisaged a gradual rise, as people invested in silver and other commodities due to currency uncertainties backed by growing industrial ( not photo ) demand.

Many suppliers raised prices in 2010 ( and probably will again ) we did not, we wished to see if silver would stabilise, we also hold significant stocks of coated parent rolls and we have been using up that stock in the last 12 weeks. All product now being finished and shipped is product coated with silver at the current elevated prices and these additional costs just cannot be absorbed by HARMAN technology Limited.

Prices do vary from market to market, this is a very, very complex equation of currency, import duties, local taxes, shipping costs, local delivery costs and distributor and reseller margins, currency fluctuations are by far the biggest introducer of anomolies in pricing around the world not the prices charged ex.factory.

New prices have been notified to resellers by distributors around the world for products leaving distributors after February 1st 2011.

Price does affect the volume of goods sold, that is an absolute fact, so we have a total determination to keep ILFORD Photo products at a fair price.

Since HARMAN technology Limited was established six years ago we have
always looked at different manufacturing options and technologies to grow our business, but fundamental to our business is the monochrome product range, the photo business will remain the largest part of our business for some appreciable time. In 2011 we have NO plans to delete ANY products whatsoever from our range and following excellent field trial feedback a brand new ILFORD Paper will be launched worldwide in Q2 2011.

We thank all our customers who buy and value our products.

Simon. ILFORD Photo, HARMAN technology LImited :

Went to buy some Ilford multigrade paper today at college, it was £28.50 and now its £34! Really annoying :(

Strange, the price shouldn't go up till the 1st of Feb. I would go back and have a moan, maybe print the info from this thread.

Yeah thats what I said to my friend in my class. I didnt buy any because I didn't have enough for it but I'll definitely say something to my tutor but the woman in the shop said it was because of the VAT rise and the cost of it went up.
I can see the VAT thing but its a bit of a con putting the price up before Feb 1st. I didn't have time to mention to the woman in the shop because I needed to get to my next lesson and yeah I'll print the info from this thread off.

Tell her to go back to School and learn some maths 2.5% increase in VAT on £28 does not equate to £5.50p
Dave

Back