I'll call it.... an 'Oak Moth'

Name
Nik
Edit My Images
Yes
no idea what it is actually called, but its wing colouring and marking remind me of my wood working days. 4 1/2 inch wing span too, looked incredible.

3616035131_a0216a165d_b.jpg

3627525969_416ab73f89_b.jpg

fantastic detail in these shots. wow 4 1/2 inch wingspan, thats a big bird. :)

No ideal what sort of moth it is, but you've made a great job of photographing it - beautiful:clap::clap:

not sure wheather its my monitor or not... but the moth in the first shot appears to have a halo around it, - makes it appear to be glowing... really like the second ***

I would guess a (female) Lime Hawk Moth but I'm not sure either as it appears somewhat paler than they seem to be.

Last edited:
Thanks ladies & gents for you kind comments :)

The Halo effect was an accident in PP but I didn't dislike as it went with his soft appearance, must do better......

Lime Hawk Moth eh? thx heidfirst, I guess part of this is not just capturing the wee beasties but learning what they are too, i guess my oak Moth name does not stand then :(:)

Everyday I seem to see something different.....

I havent a clue what these lovely critters are called either and Ive only ever seen a couple of them, theyre hooooge ... and gorgeous!
I love the detail in the wings and the light is lovell too. (y)

Not an elephant hawk moth is it?? It IS cuddly! never thought i'd say that about a moth!

Back