Beginner Illuminated Rievaulx Abbey

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Organised by English Heritage. Cost £10 including a shuttle bus from nearby Helmsley. Beautiful evening with Monks, art Installations and historical talks. Very atmospheric. I wasn't happy with a lot of the shots as I don't think the camera handled the bright lights against the pitch black background.
DSC_0266 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
DSC_0270 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
DSC_0274 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
DSC_0277 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
DSC_0302 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
DSC_0304 by jason greenwood, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's about as difficult as it gets unless you obviously missed the blue hour chance to take it home easily.

Extreme bracketing and LR HDR blend is the only way forward from here. During editing you'd probably end up desaturating some colours quite substantially to get it all within the histogram while keeping the brightness up.

5 and 8 are probably the best compositions... Blue is a strange colour of choice but that's is down to EH here. The verticals need to be straightened. You might as well drop in milky way from another frame over the top to complete it all...

Portraits I have to say are quite interesting. Perhaps it was worth shooting them a bit less like an architecture and just embrace all that a fast prime would offer. As a bonus it would deal with backgrounds and the lights just rendering them all as a nice bokeh. 35/1.4 or 50/1.4 would be my starting point.

Back