iLux Lighting from Photomart?

Name
Kelvin
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been looking at the new iLux studio lighting on the Photomart website.

I missed Focus this year so did not get a chance for a look/see/play.

Spec/Price look pretty impressive. Has anyone got them or have any thoughts on them.

Particularly interested in the CD 500 kits.

Thanks for any thoughts or more info.

Not sure on the ilux but I would avoid photomart like the plaque, I have just had a bad experience with them regarding some Lencarta lights, photomart took my payment for the lights with next day delivery, I email them to check delivery, no reply, I later phoned them to find out that the lights were not in stock, when I asked why they took my payment, photomart replied that they had not taken payment, I know for a fact that they did, they then tried to sell me some ilux studio lights.
This is a very poor way to run a business.

Thanks for your reply and the heads up. I will double check any orders I make.

I would probably collect from the store, I'm considering x3 kits but need some more info and reassurance first.

I bought a set of the cd 300 lights at focus as I wanted a set that I could take to events all in one bag as my other lights are a bit big and I don't have cases for them.. Well they are really good no miss fires and the colour temp is very consistent, personally for the price I really don't think you can go wrong also the flash tubes aren't to expensive if you need to replace one

Thanks Paul, some good info there.

What I'm impressed by most is their list of top quality components,

It seems they have sourced the best parts possible to make them reliable.

Well to be honest that's what I thought, I had a good play with them at focus and was impressed with the build quality and for the money I thought I would give them a go.
I have had no issues with them at all and they have had some quite heavy use, I just bought the twin umbrella kit as I already have soft boxes etc.
I may even go for a set of the 500's to replace my older lights.

I was on the stand demonstrating them at Focus, I do not own as I have owned my Bowens for years. We had literally hundreds of people testing them so they were triggered many hundreds of times over the 4 days and no issues that I could tell. Auto dump actually works - I have seen other brands that promise this but it does not deliver. Heads kept very cool by the fans. It does what it says on the tin. If I needed another set of lights tomorrow then I no longer see the need to pay the Bowens price. There are other brands out there as well but would certainly put these on the must compare list for anybody looking for pro-spec at a budget price.

Mike

Thanks Mike for your input, very informative and just what I wanted to hear.

I am definitely sold on them and will put an order in over the next few days.

I've got some painting to finish and then I'll arrange a free day to go pick them up.

I was all set to buy Bowens then I happened upon the iLux brochure at the weekend.

The price of x3 kits is going to save me the best part of £1500, it just seems a no brainer to me.

I have purchased 4 cd500's and 4 cd300's for my studio and selling my elinchrome and bowens, these lights are by far the best value in the U.K at the moment and I would recommend them to anyone looking to purchase for the first time, the 2 light 300cd set complete with bag, stands ,reflectors and shoot through brollies just can't be beaten and as for the quality, well, the casing is very well put together very strong and the components are made in West Germany not cheap chinese parts that will set fire at any given time, the replacement flash tubes are available at a very reasonable price, off the shelf and are user changeable.

Thanks Brian, very reassuring review and from the horses mouth so to speak.

When a company can make statements like...

'High Performance & Long Life Expectancy' 'Quality, Precision & Accuracy' 'Better Quality, Better Features, Better Price'

These are words that are music to my ears and sells it to me straight away, not the sort of thing you hear very often now a days.

Thanks Brian, very reassuring review and from the horses mouth so to speak.

When a company can make statements like...

'High Performance & Long Life Expectancy' 'Quality, Precision & Accuracy' 'Better Quality, Better Features, Better Price'

These are words that are music to my ears and sells it to me straight away, not the sort of thing you hear very often now a days.

Would love to know how they perform and how the customer service was, when you get them, these look like a perfect choice for my budget.

Would love to know how they perform and how the customer service was, when you get them, these look like a perfect choice for my budget.

In my humble opinion the customer service is as good as it gets and as for the iLux lighting system that i have installed in my studio, they are as good my bowens and elinchrom, the auto dump really works, the colour temp is consistent and so far with a lot of shoots over the past month both in the studio and out on location ,not one misfire, so they really are a lot of light for your bucks.

In my humble opinion the customer service is as good as it gets and as for the iLux lighting system that i have installed in my studio, they are as good my bowens and elinchrom, the auto dump really works, the colour temp is consistent and so far with a lot of shoots over the past month both in the studio and out on location ,not one misfire, so they really are a lot of light for your bucks.

Cheers Brian.

I will keep you posted. It will be interesting to see how they handle my requests. I would like to upgrade the kit stands to the ILJS3000 and to have 250w modeling lamps, it could be a typo but I have seen 150w listed.
I also have free radio trigger code, I'm hoping that will cover all heads. (x6)

I will keep you posted. It will be interesting to see how they handle my requests. I would like to upgrade the kit stands to the ILJS3000 and to have 250w modeling lamps, it could be a typo but I have seen 150w listed.
I also have free radio trigger code, I'm hoping that will cover all heads. (x6)

Will I need to purchase radio triggers? If so which ones?

I bought the CD 300 softbox/umbrella kit after seeing them at focus and for the money I am very impressed.

Mine get some very heavy use at events where I can take ~3000 shots in 4 hours. Very consistent and reliable, no missfires, even with this heavy use they stay very cool (i dont use the modelling lights very often).

I did have a very minor issue with them but I contacted photomart and they resolved the issue immediately... no questions asked. So I was impressed with the service too.

they do come with a mains powered radio trigger set which plugs inline with the power cord (and the 2nd or 3rd units are used as slaves) but I use a set of RF-602's with the cables plugged into the heads because at some of these events slave triggering just wouldnt work as there are other cameras being used.

~3000 shots in 4 hours. Very consistent and reliable, no miss fires

Thanks Mani for taking the time to give a review. Another positive one and no negative feedback yet.

I've just finished putting a couple of coats of Scrubbleble matt on my Infinity Cove after doing a couple of local repairs first.

Looking forward to ordering some.

Last edited:
well you guys just sold me on the CD 300, I have been looking at kits for some time.

I emailed Ilux to ask some questions, Photomart emailed me back, but then when trying to reply to them the emails just bounce back!
Does Ilux actually have people in this country or is it just through Photomart?

I emailed Ilux to ask some questions, Photomart emailed me back, but then when trying to reply to them the emails just bounce back!
Does Ilux actually have people in this country or is it just through Photomart?

HI Si,

Sorry to hear that your posts are bouncing back, a bit unusual though. iLUX is photomart's own brand .

Hi Juan, Not sure whether it's your end or mine, but I received your second email! If you could give me a call that would be great, the number is 07733 524498, there's no rush.
Cheers
Si

Back