I'm after a good "compact"

Name
Stig
Edit My Images
Yes
So then, it's not always I can be arsed to flog along my 7D, especially when I don't intend to take any pics on a daily trip somewhere, but some times it'd be handy to have something better than my smartphone for that golden opertunity.

I've been looking at the Canon Powershot G12, as that's quite cheap these days. I remember it got really favourable reviews when it was released, but how does it hold up these days?

If there's anything "better" than the G12 (in the same price range) what are they, and why are they better?

Thanks in advance for suggestions and feedback.

The Sony Rx100 is getting rave reviews. There is a thread or two on it here somewhere. It's pricey, but it's the one I'd go for if I decide to purchase a high end compact.

Thepanasonic lummox? Sorry not sure of the price range :)

Edit *lumix

Us X10 users think they give better IQ than the G12.
And you can currently get them from the Fuji Refurb shop (with discount code) for just over £250.
See recent posts in the X10 thread for details.

Neither are a match for the 7D...
But the X10 is plenty good enough to print at A3.

Where are you getting your prices? I see the G12 is £350 on amazon UK. The Rx100 is £470 - hardly twice the price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Cybers...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349270704&sr=1-1

Just a suggestion anyhow. You might find one used for less. Otherwise I would also suggest the Fuji X10

Personally, I wouldn't go for a body that has inter changeable lenses, hard enough keep up with the Nikon's I want :D A compact with a decent fixed lens is what I would love. I might go for the Rx100 when it drops in price a little, or they pop up used at reasonable used prices.

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't go for a body that has inter changeable lenses, hard enough keep up with the Nikon's I want :D A compact with a decent fixed lens is what I would love. I might go for the Rx100 when it drops in price a little, or they pop up used at reasonable used prices.

Just because a lens can be changed doesn't mean that you have to or that you have to buy multiple lenses for it. A CSC with one collapsible standard zoom and / or one pancake fast prime could make a good choice and will have a much bigger sensor and better image quality than all but a couple of the very latest large sensor compact cameras.

X10 has dropped in price quite a bit and gets very good reviews. Personally I'd still go for the RX100 for something pocketable.

For my money if it's a compact you want then it needs to be a compact which rules out the x10 and the canon G-Series as neither is a pocket size go everywhere camera. If it won't fit in a pocket you really might as well take your slr and a single lens.

Once you have all the big beasts out of the way it really is a straight shoot out bettween the s100 and the RX100 both of which are brilliant and won't disapoint. The RX100 is obviously better but if your budget won't stretch an s100 is fantastic.

That is the same old, what size is a compact question. If Stig is happy with size of G12 then X10 is fine.

At the prices an X10 can be had for these days I wouldn't even look at anything else.

Indeed, how small does a camera have to be to be a compact?

Here are a couple of line ups of my current cameras in use (taken with an old Nikon Coolpix 3100), Ranging from an (obviously not compact!) D700 with a Sigma 24-70 on the front, via a Fuji HS30 (not exactly compact until compared to the semi-pro DSLR beside it!) with a built in, non interchangeable 24-720mm superzoom), a Canon D10 waterproof to 10metres compact to a Minox Leica M3 model/replica which takes remarkably good pictures for such a tiny package!

Side view
8053262181_c10debd478_b.jpg

Head on
8053262249_b24907231a_b.jpg

Last edited:
Had my RX100 a month now and I love it! Stunning build quality and superb pictures.

My D7000 and bag of Nikon glass is getting a bit neglected!;)

Just because a lens can be changed doesn't mean that you have to or that you have to buy multiple lenses for it. A CSC with one collapsible standard zoom and / or one pancake fast prime could make a good choice and will have a much bigger sensor and better image quality than all but a couple of the very latest large sensor compact cameras.

Add cost, if you want a nice bright lens like the ones attached to the X10 or Rx100

Pondering on these 2 models myself, watching the classifieds for a good deal. There's a few X10 packages on here atm.

I'm on week 2 of my trip round indochina....my D5100 still hasn't been used. The RX100 has made it obsolete to be honest, I don't think I will ever lug a DSLR around again, staggeringly good piece of kit!

Digital Rev now have the S100 at just over £200 delivered so I have indulged as my SX200 is starting to feel dated and the GPS will be useful to me.
The two use the same NBL5 batteries so no immediate need to buy additional one(s).

Last edited:
Back