Critique I'm all dropped out !

Edit My Images
Yes
Well I've spent most of the week staring at water drops. I've used one flash, two flashes, flash gels, glycerine, gelatine, xanthan gum, food dye, eye droppers and plastic bags hanging from the ceiling. I think I've done OK, but I just cant get a collision !
Well, here are the best 6 since the last ones I put up. Hope you like.

Thanks for looking and any comments...

Good efforts Mike but it isn't easy to get collisions the manual way. To get the drops higher just add a couple of drops of rinse aid to the receiving container, this reduces the surface tension and allows the drops to travel higher.

Mike first time I've really looked at this part of TP & really like what you've done. I'm often housebound (ill health) and you've given me some inspiration with how I could while away a little time :clap:

Mike first time I've really looked at this part of TP & really like what you've done. I'm often housebound (ill health) and you've given me some inspiration with how I could while away a little time :clap:

Thanks John, I feel quite chuffed with your comments! I can thoroughly recommend doing this, it quickly becomes an addictive challenge.

I find lots of inspiration in this part of TP, as well as the macro section. You'll see some wonderful shots, I just try to replicate them best I can.

Hope you feel well soon.

Thanks again, Mike.

After having a go today I'd be happy with those. Could you give an idea on you're set up. I had 1 flash with bag hanging off a tripod but I couldn't seem to get any colour coming through the images . ( I had different coloured cards behind the bowl with the flash in different positions) also what lens did you use Many thanks

Hi Will.

I had a bag hanging in the conservatory, about 18-24" above a silver baking tray. The tray had about 1/4" of water in it. Behind the tray I had a large white piece of card, laying at the bottom of this I had a slave flash pointing straight up lighting up the card. On the camera I had my 270ex speedlight which I had set at -2ev and bounced of the ceiling. The lens I used was my 70-300 telemacro, set at 180mm and placed around 1m from the tray. To focus I set the bag dripping, placed a bolt where the drip landed and used manual focus and live view to focus.

Camera settings were 100 iso, f13, 1/200secs.

To get the colour i mixed red food dye with the water being dripped. In pp I changed the WB to fluroescent.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

try using milk. I use I large baking try for my base liquid.
iv made a stand out of some scraps from a skip, its not pretty but it works for me
the valve and tubing is from an aquarium shop which I glued into the bottom of a bottle.
once you get a nice drop rate I hold a jug under the drops to let the base settle then quickly pull the jug away letting 2 drops past the jug and fire the shutter with a cable release.
hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Back