I'm amazed - P&S macro

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Finally took the plunge and bought a Canon Ixus 82 today for my trip to South Africa which I plan on using whenever I don't have my 40D or medium format film camera weighing me down. It's a fantastic little camera - technology sure has moved on from the last time I owned a P&S 4 years ago.

Anyway, here's a shot of my eye (cropped) using the camera's macro feature. SHot in high quality JPEG. No editing done expect the crop.

3258495581_fb67caa3c0_o.jpg

P&S will alway be better than and bigger sensor for macro due to huge DOF comparison. Take into account the fact the detail vs pixel size for macro and you don't have to worry about detail loss. Get a manual compact camera that's capable of close macro (my canon a620 goes to 1cm focus range) and throw it into it's smallest aperture then attach a descent flash and you be the envy of of any slr macro photographer.

Last edited:
Nice shot Mike and welcome to the compact macro game (y)

Thanks Albi - it's been a while since I posted in here. I've been on a medium format sidetrack for about half a year!

P&S will alway be better than and bigger sensor for macro due to huge DOF comparison. Take into account the fact the detail vs pixel size for macro and you don't have to worry about detail loss. Get a manual compact camera that's capable of close macro (my canon a620 goes to 1cm focus range) and throw it into it's smallest aperture then attach a descent flash and you be the envy of of any slr macro photographer.

Thanks Siejones - I didn't know compacts were popular for macro. A good reason for me to get back into the macro game :D

Last edited:
Back