I'm crying as I type this...

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
And no, I'm not joking.

My cat Meww, known around the world (he's been my avatar on all forums I've ever used for some years), was hit by a car yesterday.

The driver of the car was obviously a good man as he did the right thing - he took Mewww to the nearest vet and then posted notes thru several doors in the vicinity of the accident to try to notify us. He succeeded.

However, having stabilised the immediate worst injuries last night, the vet carried out x-rays this morning that revealed a spinal injury that had damaged the spinal cord, leaving Mewww with no feeling or use of his back legs.

So at aound 10am this morning I had to instruct the vet to do the right and humane thing.

I know he was "only" a cat but he'd been with us since 1995 and my whole family loved him. He was a gobby little bugger who never shut up, drove us (and our neighbours) nuts with his constant wailing and we are all gonna miss him.

I guess my avatar is here to stay.

Mewww, wherever you are little fellow, rest peacefully and know that we are so gonna miss you old boy!

Munkusiiframed.jpg

:( :( :( :( :( ITs not ONLY a cat. Its your cat. It is shame too hear that :( I am sure he is meowing and making a racket just for you right now :D
I know this may sound stupid but just try to remeber the good times you had, just like he is more than likely doing now.

Last edited:
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

that is pretty sad, least the guy did the good thing, not many folk would do it,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

You will meet up with him again at Rainbow Bridge eventually.

At least the driver did the right thing. You don't seem to get many people like that nowadays.

Had to smile at your expression of him being "a gobby little buggar who never shuts up", reminds me of our cat.

Andrea

i'm really sorry to hear your sad news too, it is so hard to lose a loved pet and of course he was never only a cat. i have only had my two cats for eight months and already they mean more to me than i ever realised they would so i can really imagine how you must feel after so many years. one good thing is that he had such a good long life. if he was anything like my two it will have been the life of riley. as the others have said remember the good times.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Thats just made me cry like a little schoolgirl.

Sorry about the cat Mart, You'll have to keep an eye out when you get to Rainbow Bridge...

I know how you feel
we had our cat (or rather he had us) for 17 years
when the time came for him to move on
even though it was the right thing to do
you still miss the little beggars, don't you

Hey Mart - sorry to hear about your little friend - I've had to have 2 of my cats put to sleep and I was more upset than when my relatives died.........sounds stupid I know, but they do become a real part of you......just remember the good times you've had............

Sorry to hear about your loss mate.

Some people don't understand the connection we have with our pets, but luckily many do. They aren't just animals, they really do become one of the family, and the grief we feel when they go, is real grief.

Been there twice before and its heartbreaking! Comiserations :(

Ok thought I might post this little ode, sums it up really, by my bro who had a cat for 15 or 16 years!

The Cat

You came, a kitten not needed,
A stray in search of a friend,
Your cry it had to be heeded
And now your fear it could end.

The time you stayed was delightful,
Your eyes were crystals of green,
Those eyes were deep and inciteful
A feline graceful and lean.

No mood was bad or begrudging
And free to wander and roam,
No human habits, like judging
Just glad to live in this home.

And now you're gone I shall ever
Remember all your swift years,
My cat, some things last forever
Like smiles and friendship and tears.

Last edited:
A similar thing happened to my Tigger (16 yrs old), was instantaneous though with no outward signs of injury. My neighbour wrapped her in a blanket and kept her until I got home from work. :(

I know how you feel Mart. :(

Last edited:
Really sorry to hear that :( :(. Pets are part of the family, and mean so much. We lost our 14 year old cat to kidney failure whilst we were away on holiday last year. Just remember the fun times, and the mischief he got up to :)

By law you don't actually have to report it if you hit a cat, so major respect to the guy for doing his best, he could have drove off.

On the other hand, it's YOUR cat, t'is a bad doo.

I have a cat myself which we thought had been hit by a car one night after someone told us they'd seen a black and white cat get hit 15-20 seconds from our house. I was literally ****ting myself, aswell as being upset, at the thought of him being hit by a car.

Luckily, he strolled in as all this was happening without a care in the world, fortunate for me, unfortunate for someone else.

:crying::crying::crying:

Sorry for your loss. I've lost a few cats that I loved dearly and it's really sad.

Animals are people too.

I am so sorry for your loss, that is really sad, :hug: :(

I really feel for you mart61. We had to have our cat 'Ruddles' of 17 years put to sleep last year as her health was failing rapidly. We agonised for days whilst she was being treated at the vets, but realised if we insisted on keeping her alive if would have been for us and not the right thing to do for 'Rudds'. We still miss her very much. This thread has brought all the memories flooding back.

RIP Mewww.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and sympathy. You cannot know what it means to me to have support from all of you, none of whom I've ever met (as far as I know?).

I am in your debt one and all.

Martin

Oh, that is so sad. We also lost our cat today so Rainbow Bridge has opened the floodgates.

:crying:Sly was with us for 13 years and sadly 'went to sleep' today becasue of a brain tumour. He had a fantastic life but it doesn't stop the sadness.

Oh, that is so sad. We also lost our cat today so Rainbow Bridge has opened the floodgates.

:crying:Sly was with us for 13 years and sadly 'went to sleep' today becasue of a brain tumour. He had a fantastic life but it doesn't stop the sadness.

Well, my sympathies are with you too. I always thought I was a "hard" bugger but I'm not. I've cried countless times today and will no doubt when I get back home tomorrow night.

So sorry to hear your sad news :( I can empathise many times over. (((Hugs))).

remember its not the end, just a new begining for both you and your cat.

THE EULOGY
Look not where I was
For I am not there
My spirit is free
I am everywhere

In the air that you breathe
In the sounds that you hear
Don't cry for me Mom
My spirit is near

I'll watch for you
From the other side
I'll be the one running
New friends by my side

Smile at my memory
Remember in your heart
This isn't the end
It's a brand new start

By: Carol Kufner

So sorry to hear of your loss Martin & Treesie, I know exactly how you're feeling at the moment too, we had to let one of our cats "Prudance" go recently - don't think there was much that could go wrong with a cat that he didn't have. He was noisy, smelly & he took up all of the bed - naturally we loved him to bits & miss him so much ;)

You just need to remember that you gave them the best & happiest years they could have had :hug:

OMG... I have a huge lump in my throat and tears in my eyes reading this thread.

:hug: So sorry to hear about Meww and Sly. As a cat lover and as someone who has lost cats before, I can totally empathise with you both. They are not just pets, they are part of our families and it's natural that you are gonna grieve for their loss. My heart goes out to you both.

Mart61,

My condolences for your loss, and may Meww rest in peace. Meww was more than just a can, Meww was a full member of your household, adding laughter and joy throughout its lifetime and the sudden loss is just as traumatising as losing a family member; I know fro many experiences of feline loss throughout my life.

That said, I also feel for the driver of the car who obviously was traumatised by what happened, as is evidenced from the due care taken to find help for Meww to in trying to find you.

Back in 1984 I had run-over incident with a cat on my way home from college, this was on the A30 and nothing I did could have prevented me from running over that cat. I stopped and called the police and notified them of what had happened and that the cat was dead, but I couldn’t get to it as there were a lot of cars coming by, to my surprise the police simply thanked me for reporting the incident telling me that running over a cat needn’t be reported. Took me a couple of hours before I could stop crying, and may be 3 hours before I could drive away from the scene. To this day, over 20 years later, I still get flashbacks and feel the pain of the whole ordeal.

So sorry for your loss.

Treesie,

Sorry for your loss too, and may Sly rest in peace as well; and I hope Sly and Meww are playing together somewhere more grand than here.

Only a cat? They are a part of the family when they come through the door so I feel for you. Be strong and remember the good times you had together, I know it's not manly or strong but I'd blub like a kid if anything happened to one of mine :(

Mart61 and Tressie
So sorry to hear of your loss, it is a horrible thing to lose a beloved pet, they are part of you and part of what makes you tick.

Having lost several pets over the years I feel for your loss. I cried for days when my cat Smokey passed on at the tender age of 23!:(

I always say never again but always seem to gravitate to another cat or two, cannot really imagine not having cats in my life:shrug:(y)

How awful. However, you most certainly did the right thing.

Very sorry to hear this and best wishes,
James

Martin, the advice I would give in these circumstances to get over your grief is to replace your pet asap, believe me it has worked for me in the past on quite a few occasions and will work for you.
You will always have fond memories of your pet but the love you had for her/him can be transferred immediately to the new arrival helping you get over the loss.

Just to say thanks once again for all your kind words.

I have the unenviable task of collecting Mewww from the vet today and finding a nice sunny place for him in the garden. I have a spot in mind...

:D

Back