i'm fuming.....

stan the man

Nutkicker
Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
decided to go out with the camera this morning,to a local park for some landscape and wildlife shots.was enjoying myself when a gang of 17-18 yr olds started taking the pee[that,i can handle by ignoring them],then,as i'm about to take a shot,i'm bombarded with snowballs..myself and camera being covered.

so i turn and asked what they think they were playing at,and they said"what"..i said "you know full well what,do you think it's funny to knacker 2.5K's worth of equipment with your antics",then they give me more abuse,so i put down my camera and front up to them to see how brave they would be then.but one of them thinks he has the measure of me by taking a swing,which slightly catches me on the chin,si i retaliate by kicking him in the groin...and he sinks to his knees,i turn and walk away....

this has upset me,and has completely ruined my day...a bad start to 2010 :bang:

Most people are ignorant to how much camera gear costs. They shouldn't have thrown the snowballs but you baited them then assaulted one of them :( not a good idea really.

I hope the rest of 2010 improves though and i hope no damage was done to the kit :)

Edit: Now i've had some coffee i agree that they baited him by thowing the snowball, could have been nasty if there was a stone in there

can we put the pitchforks down now :)

sign of the times im afraid. shows just how far we have allowed the yobs and guttersnipes to take over.

Yes assaulting them was a VERY BAD IDEA!

If all they threw was snowballs then taking your gear home and drying it thoroughly in a warm room would probably leave it undamaged.

On the other hand if they had called the police you could easily have ended up being arrested.

Not a good outcome for your day.

Most people are ignorant to how much camera gear costs. They shouldn't have thrown the snowballs but you baited them then assaulted one of them :( not a good idea really.

I hope the rest of 2010 improves though and i hope no damage was done to the kit :)

I think they baited him first by throwing the snowballs. The other guy threw the first punch so stan's action was self defence.

17 to 18 yr olds? arn't 17 year olds considered minors.. and you kicked one?

Not thinking deserved.. thinking how much trouble you could be in?

I know it sounds stupid but really the only thing you can do is call the police in these situations or walk away... As far as im concerned you acted reasonably by kicking him whilst he swung at you... Self defence is perfectly acceptable as long as you dont go beyond that.

Please don't take this personally, but

Baited them how? The OP said he ignored them until he himself was "assaulted" (In my book having anything chucked at you by complete strangers counts as assault). When retaliating verbally he was then physically assaulted whereupon a swift defensive kick in the nads diffused the situation.

This has nothing to do with the price of kit - it's everything to do with the bands of wild thuglets roaming the streets and thinking they can get away with anything.

Edit - Must learn to type quicker - where did all those other replies come from.
@Stan - Well done for sticking up for yourself, and don't let it spoil your hobby for a second. Perhaps next time they'll think twice about abusing someone.

hi andy

baited them you say..how?by asking what i thought they were playing at,and they,or one of them assaulted me first..i was merely defending myself.at 18 yrs old,they are adults,and should behave as such..or maybe it's okay to assault 48yr olds as they see fit.

i'm sorry,but i don't shy away from confrontation,or take to being bullied by anyone...period.

this is not a pop at you,i can assure you,and i do see where you're coming from..and as said..the whole afair has upset me somewhat.i have checked the camera and lens over,and all seems to be working fine..thanks.

Fighting back was possibly wrong, but I think you could call it self defence, afterall he swung for you!

2 lads tried to mug somebody I know of. Thing is he was a bouncer, 1 would be mugger crying on the floor with blood all over his face and his mate running away. Sorry I know it's wrong but fair play.

I am very sorry to hear that this episode has ruined our day.
But on the bright side, it has actually made my day. Knowing that there are still people
who will stand up to these ar*eholes.
Very well done indeed.

Sorry to hear about this... it's what stops me going out on my own to take photos these days.

In the long run, you may have been lucky. As you were outnumbered one of them could have easily taken you camera while you were 'otherwise engaged', or worse still...

hi andy

baited them you say..how?by asking what i thought they were playing at,and they,or one of them assaulted me first..i was merely defending myself.at 18 yrs old,they are adults,and should behave as such..or maybe it's okay to assault 48yr olds as they see fit.

i'm sorry,but i don't shy away from confrontation,or take to being bullied by anyone...period.

this is not a pop at you,i can assure you,and i do see where you're coming from..and as said..the whole afair has upset me somewhat.i have checked the camera and lens over,and all seems to be working fine..thanks.

Stan you didnt happen to get a picture of them did you? If you did it might still be worth reporting it to the police. :shrug:

Although i don't condone violence of any sort (except in self defense)

I hope it bloody hurt the little scrote!

Yes assaulting them was a VERY BAD IDEA!

If all they threw was snowballs then taking your gear home and drying it thoroughly in a warm room would probably leave it undamaged.

On the other hand if they had called the police you could easily have ended up being arrested.

Not a good outcome for your day.

no,they assaulted me first..first with the snowballs,then with one of them punching me..so i acted in self defence.i did in fact,tell them to ring the police if they wanted to..i was more than happy to answer to the police..but they didn't..i wonder why!

decided to go out with the camera this morning,to a local park for some landscape and wildlife shots.was enjoying myself when a gang of 17-18 yr olds started taking the pee[that,i can handle by ignoring them],then,as i'm about to take a shot,i'm bombarded with snowballs..myself and camera being covered.

so i turn and asked what they think they were playing at,and they said"what"..i said "you know full well what,do you think it's funny to knacker 2.5K's worth of equipment with your antics",then they give me more abuse,so i put down my camera and front up to them to see how brave they would be then.but one of them thinks he has the measure of me by taking a swing,which slightly catches me on the chin,si i retaliate by kicking him in the groin...and he sinks to his knees,i turn and walk away....

this has upset me,and has completely ruined my day...a bad start to 2010 :bang:

Sorry to hear about that Stan, I once had a group of them call the poilce on me whilst I was photographing my own children in a local park. They thought it would be fun to have me arrested for suspicious behaviour. A horrible experience for me as the police obviously responded and turned up, fortunately they could see the truth and it was all okay.

I am not going to comment on your actions, but be careful as you may end up being charged with assault.

I hope both your gear (and his) remains in good working order:)

God bless
Dave

Please don't take this personally, but

Baited them how? The OP said he ignored them until he himself was "assaulted" (In my book having anything chucked at you by complete strangers counts as assault). When retaliating verbally he was then physically assaulted whereupon a swift defensive kick in the nads diffused the situation.

This has nothing to do with the price of kit - it's everything to do with the bands of wild thuglets roaming the streets and thinking they can get away with anything.

Edit - Must learn to type quicker - where did all those other replies come from.
@Stan - Well done for sticking up for yourself, and don't let it spoil your hobby for a second. Perhaps next time they'll think twice about abusing someone.

None taken Dave :)

I would say by responding to them after the snowballs, but i can agree it could also be self defence. Either way i hope that no damage was caused to the kit and that 2010 improves

i still don't think it was a wise move to kick him in the balls (however satisfying i can imagine it was :) )

Good for you Stan, :clap: maybe he will think twice about something similar in the future. For all those bleeding heart liberals going on about him being 'just' 17 years old, have you seen the damage some 17 year olds can do? I'd have done exactly the same - if the little scrote wants to play big boys games then it's big boy rules.

horrible the way some people behave & yeah it was self defence so you were right if they striked out at you :( hope your gear's alright

Glad the kit is OK Stan and good for you mate....

Todays youngsters only understand one thing... and they dont even do that well now..

Nigel

I dont think you can use self defence against a minor can you.. especialy not against snow ball throwing or a glancing punch.. if you caused him serious injury and he is 17 then the impications are massive... thats my point of view... again not comment on if he deserved it or if i would ahve done the same.. just a word of caution when dealing wiht people who could be under 18...

they could have been a little older,i didn't ask their age before i defended myself...

i'm not saying my actions are right,but i'm not going to stand around and let anyone assault me.i very much doubt they will attack anyone else today with snowballs.

I'm going to upset a few people on here, but it's a snowball ffs!! We used to throw snowballs at cars and people, and get chased, when I was young - we didn't think 'oooo...thats an expensive car' or owt, as I we launched our attacks, and I guess somebody with a camera would be an even easier target!!

If I'd have been there, I'd have put my camera away, and launched into a full blown snowball war with them, or returned later manned up for another snowball battle!!

For all those bleeding heart liberals going on about him being 'just' 17 years old, have you seen the damage some 17 year olds can do? .

yes and I have also seen the trouble you can get into for hitting a 17 yr old who is a minor.. its not worth it..

please get off your high horse and dont call me a bleeding heart liberal... i was thinking more about the OP and what could happen to him rather than worrying about the 17 yr old...

Age of criminal responsibility in England and Wales is currently age 10 and Scotland age 8.

Good on you stan :)

Good for you Stan, :clap: maybe he will think twice about something similar in the future. For all those bleeding heart liberals going on about him being 'just' 17 years old, have you seen the damage some 17 year olds can do? I'd have done exactly the same - if the little scrote wants to play big boys games then it's big boy rules.

thank you colin..thats how i see it.perhaps they would be better off playing with their playstations etc..[this is not a dig at any member that plays with playstations]

I'm going to upset a few people on here, but it's a snowball ffs!! We used to throw snowballs at cars and people, and get chased, when I was young - we didn't think 'oooo...thats an expensive car' or owt, as I we launched our attacks, and I guess somebody with a camera would be an even easier target!!

If I'd have been there, I'd have put my camera away, and launched into a full blown snowball war with them, or returned later manned up for another snowball battle!!

Maybe you should have thought a bit more about it then. Throwing snowballs at moving cars is extremely dangerous. Throwing snowballs is OK when it's your mates but not at total strangers. Maybe this is why there is such a lack of respect in today's society.

they could have been a little older,i didn't ask their age before i defended myself....

thats my point.. you didnt know if you where kicking a minor or an adult.. the difference is quite amazing.. and as i pointed out .. my thoughts are for you not the 17 yo :)

Age of criminal responsibility in England and Wales is currently age 10 and Scotland age 8.

Good on you stan :)

age for a minor in england is under 18 and under 16 in scotland...

Might not be politically correct but "good for you" Stan.

How many incidents do we hear of where a single punch from a teenger on a mature adult results in severe brain damage or even death.

Yes, this might sound exagerated but in reality it happens. My vote is with you mate. (And PS, dont let it ruin your day, but I quess its ruined the little s***s pride somewhat).:clap::clap::clap:

Hawk

It clearly wasnt assult... it was an act of self defence and rightly so (y)

Unfortunately that is not so - or at least if the police were called it would be the word of a group of people - most of whom would stick by their mates - against your word.

And if it went to court I am sure the magistrate (or judge) would say that the response was out of proportion.

You have to be very careful these days and in most cases it's a good idea to simply walk away.

age for a minor in england is under 18 and under 16 in scotland...

Sorry, I don't understand your point? They started it, and stan acted in self-defence: "Was the force used by the individual reasonable in the circumstances as he or she believed them to be?" In this case, I would suggest it was.

Unfortunately that is not so - or at least if the police were called it would be a group of people most of whom would stick by their mates.

And if it went to court I am sure the magistrate (or judge) would say that the response was out of proportion.

You have to be very careful these days and in most cases it's a good idea to simply walk away.

A kick is out of proportion to a punch in the face? Sorry but what you are advocating is capitulation to bullying.

Back