I'm getting dangerously close to jacking in digital

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
In favour of fast primes and black and white film. I've just come across a Flickr photostream which is almost exclusively film work in much the same vein as my own work, but the fact that it is on film (albeit medium and large format) has added so much more to the effect I strive for.

I've just bought Some Adox CHS 25 for use wide open in daylight, and am looking for some Pan F at a reasonable price.

Who'd have thought a m4/3 camera would ever be too high quality and low on noise?

I kinda expected this would happen, I'm on the hunt for a reasonably priced negative scanner too.

In favour of fast primes and black and white film. I've just come across a Flickr photostream which is almost exclusively film work in much the same vein as my own work, but the fact that it is on film (albeit medium and large format) has added so much more to the effect I strive for.

fancy sharing the URL? :)

I had started to enjoy the use of film again but even more so since I have bought my Epson Perfection 750 Pro film scanner.

I have about 8 rolls of FP4+, 10 rolls of Tri X and 5 rolls of Pan F all in 120 to use in my Blads but I have also just picked up some cheap process paid Fuji Sensia in 35mm to stick in my EOS 1n that I have never put a film through.

I must admit though if I could afford a V fit Phase One P65+ I would drop film in a heartbeat.

REMOVED: Making offers o/s of relevant section

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts are exactly the same.

I'm only keeping my D200 at the moment as I'm not competent with a handheld light meter and sometimes find it hard to visualise shots without seeing the feedback...as I've always been a digital shooter. Having said that I'm contemplating selling off my D200 and all my lenses and just getting something like a Canon G11 for this purpuse as it still shoots raw and manual...cheaper and more convenient than a DSLR I dont really need anymore...

Mahoneyd187 said:
My thoughts are exactly the same.

I'm only keeping my D200 at the moment as I'm not competent with a handheld light meter and sometimes find it hard to visualise shots without seeing the feedback...as I've always been a digital shooter. Having said that I'm contemplating selling off my D200 and all my lenses and just getting something like a Canon G11 for this purpuse as it still shoots raw and manual...cheaper and more convenient than a DSLR I dont really need anymore...

You need a Polaroid back!

fancy sharing the URL? :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wirral_matt/sets/72157594236997072/

Is a good example. You just can't do that with digital (I've been trying for years!)

BTW, Alan, are you familiar with Tommy Oshima on Flickr?

I suspect you might like what he does.

I am now, I like a lot, cheers! (y)

I won't get rid of digital completely, as I do prefer digital for some things (anything involving flash for instance) but for my 'core' work of wandering round old ruins, film works better for the end results I want.

Plus I'll be 'Hybrid' processing so there's still be digital in the workflow, but very much capturing the essence of film, not the essesnce of CMOS.

I think he's on about the ones amongst the set that are shot with a Hasselblad 500C/M, though you're right that there are a lot of digital images there.

is that a joke? Those images were shot with a D70 or D300!

I think Alan is referring to the square black and white ones as they were shot on a Hasselblad with Adox film.

Yes I had to look through the set as the first couple I clicked I noticed were D70 :)

I think Alan is referring to the square black and white ones as they were shot on a Hasselblad with Adox film.

Yes I had to look through the set as the first couple I clicked I noticed were D70 :)

Yeh the colour ones are digital. I was searching for Adox results before I bought the film and they came up, and got me hooked!

Yeh the colour ones are digital. I was searching for Adox results before I bought the film and they came up, and got me hooked!

I wouldn't dump your digital equipment, just put it away for a while if you feel like a change. You might want to swap back in the future.

^ Especially if it's micro 4/3rds, i always use film when i want to make a photograph, but sometimes you just want to snap and see things instantly, at a party or something.

film will get into your veins

i started in 1956 and somewhere about the late 50's I took a B&W of Tower Bridge

printed in 8x10 ....long misplaced.... .but I can still 'see' the image in my mind

it's on my Bucket List to repeat

Back