I'm getting so frustrated....

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
God this birding is getting me really wound up. Me & the Mrs love sitting quitely and watching them, this weekend we found some bullfinches, a first for us, but 200mm just doesn't cut it, not even on a 7D.

The biggest problem is that they only just fill the central focus spot so I'm finding it really hard to get anything sharp. The best result of the day below.

Bully by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

I need to get me 400mm from somewhere. I know I can produce better results, but the 700-200 f2.8 just doesn't give me enough length to pin point the subject.

I took over 100 shots at that clearing on Saturday, none of which I'm happy with :shake:

Steve

I'd be tempted to get a 2x teleconverter. It's not the best solution but would be much cheaper than a 400mm L lens :)

Steve, it sounds like a good reason to splash the cash if you have it. I did the same with my 150-500, having tried many of the alternatives and then the same with my 7d once I hit the buffers with my 40d. I think you can spend with a clear conscience!

Steve, it sounds like a good reason to splash the cash if you have it. I did the same with my 150-500, having tried many of the alternatives and then the same with my 7d once I hit the buffers with my 40d. I think you can spend with a clear conscience!

Yeah, I'll suggest that to the Mrs shall I ? :thinking:

I think I'd better get a job first :LOL:

Steve

Get closer, end of! ;)

Yeah, I'll suggest that to the Mrs shall I ? :thinking:

I think I'd better get a job first :LOL:

Steve

When you get the job, have the lens as a present to yourself. Soften the blow with a treat for the wife! ;)

Get closer, end of! ;)

It would require stealthy ninja god skills to get close enough to a bully to get a decent shot with a 200mm, don't you think! ;) :eek:

When you get the job, have the lens as a present to yourself. Soften the blow with a treat for the wife! ;)

It would require stealthy ninja god skills to get close enough to a bully to get a decent shot with a 200mm, don't you think! ;) :eek:

Not really :shrug: Admit it was shot at 228 but winding it back would not have caused too much of a loss.

IMG_0506_filtered2.jpg

u8myufo said:
Not really :shrug: Admit it was shot at 228 but winding it back would not have caused too much of a loss.

Then we all bow down to your ninja skills! ;)

Then we all bow down to your ninja skills! ;)

Not quite Jim :LOL: The thing is I do not know if you are in the position to go and get a 400 :shrug: I for one am not so have to make do. Is this clearing in your garden or to some adjacent land Steve? Cut a small clearing somewhere handy if possible, get a sheet of cammo net and a £1.00 roll of the thin green garden tying wire, you are made for life then :LOL: If it is possible to do something similar then leave the wife in the garden and she can watch you and the Bully then :D

Last edited:
Steve,
What settings are you using for your autofocus?
I'd be tempted to re-examine those before spending more money.

Regards
Ian

ziggy©;3602105 said:
Usually they are long gone before you even decide you want to get closer :)

IF THE MOUNTAIN WILL NOT COME TO MOHAMMED, MOHAMMED WILL GO TO THE MOUNTAIN - "If one cannot get one's own way, one must adjust to the inevitable. First rule of bird Photography ;)

Is this clearing in your garden or to some adjacent land Steve? Cut a small clearing somewhere handy if possible, get a sheet of cammo net and a £1.00 roll of the thin green garden tying wire, you are made for life then

Bullies, in my garden :LOL: I get sweet FA in the back garden as there is no cover at all, and the feeders in the front garden give me a few birds (lots of Goldies for the last 6 months or so). This "clearing" is in a local nature reserve, about 20 minutes away.

Steve,
What settings are you using for your autofocus?
I'd be tempted to re-examine those before spending more money.

I've tried a number of variations, mainly single point, and this particular shot was on "Spot" (the smallest centre point). I've used one shot and servo. If the bird is confident and sitting in one place I tend to use one shot so I get the confirmation, if he's flitting around I use servo.

Steve

Bullies, in my garden :LOL: I get sweet FA in the back garden as there is no cover at all, and the feeders in the front garden give me a few birds (lots of Goldies for the last 6 months or so). This "clearing" is in a local nature reserve, about 20 minutes away.

600mm then :puke:

I've tried a number of variations, mainly single point, and this particular shot was on "Spot" (the smallest centre point). I've used one shot and servo. If the bird is confident and sitting in one place I tend to use one shot so I get the confirmation, if he's flitting around I use servo.

Steve

Well that seems sensible Steve, got to ask were you using a Tripod and what distance we talking here?

u8myufo said:
Well that seems sensible Steve, got to ask were you using a Tripod and what distance we talking here?

Distance was probably 10-15 metres, and I was using a beanbag on a ledge to steady the camera. I'll post an uncropped version of the shot when I get a chance; I'm cooking dinner at the mo...

Steve

Sent from my iPad using TP Forums

That's quite a distance for small garden birds even with a 400mm lens.

IF THE MOUNTAIN WILL NOT COME TO MOHAMMED, MOHAMMED WILL GO TO THE MOUNTAIN - "If one cannot get one's own way, one must adjust to the inevitable. First rule of bird Photography ;)

That's the best bit of advice I've seen for ages. oh and loads of partience, same with all wildlife

Distance was probably 10-15 metres, and I was using a beanbag on a ledge to steady the camera. I'll post an uncropped version of the shot when I get a chance; I'm cooking dinner at the mo...

Steve

Sent from my iPad using TP Forums

That's quite a distance for small garden birds even with a 400mm lens.

:agree: This one is uncropped Steve at just over 3 metres so it gives you an indication of what is possible. Are you not able to get some shots of the Goldfinches to start off with? Failing that there is always a wooded area not far from most people. Find a spot and take a few morsels with you and just sit up and wait, and wait, and wait :D If it does not prove fruitful then try another spot. Like all wildlife photography it sometimes needs a bit of forward planning as well.

IMG_1021.jpg

Rich,

You do seem to have an extraordinary ability to get really close to the birds though. Your images are sharper than lots of people's on here with lenses 3x the focal length (and 8x the money).

IMHO I'm with rich...I took some very nice birds with my 18-200 lens. I sold it to get a 300mm oly lens which is equiv to 600mm...While its a good lens and the reach is useful its amazing when I zoom back how little difference there is between 200 and 250 or even 300mm..I still find you need to get very close. I experimented with a hide (tent) and found it makes 10x more difference than zoom.
I am also learning that the trick is to use what you have. If I had less reach I would shoot the same birds in more "environment".
I also am not a big fan of endless close up perfect pictures that look like illustration pictures in a bird ID books. My best picture lately is a chiff chaff in a blosom tree...with lots of blossom in the picture. If I had a 1000mm lens I would have looking up his nose which wouldn't have been so nice.
Working with what you have can make you more creative...Someone on here posted a good pic with a kit lens 18-55mm. And another pic I liked (karen I think) was of an owl flying with lots of trees behind.
just my thoughts..
al
One I like that took in the winter , the exif says 149mm...I'm not saying it was easy to get this close mind :)

willow tit landing by alexsally52, on Flickr

Last edited:
You have to bear in mind the subject size that we try to capture and each telephoto size lens will have it`s advantages in certain situations, be it wading birds or those that you simply cannot get close to. What you have to seriously think about is do I really need xxxmm lens :shrug: I did have a 300 F4L IS which I used with the 1.4TC. I intend to get another 300 when money allows and will then keep the 1.4 on that, this will be more than adequate for my needs. Although the 70-200 L is a fine lens the quality imo is not as good with the TC as compared to the 300 with it on.

Right, here's the original, uncropped image...

Bully_uncrop1 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

I'll have a think about trying to get closer to the Goldies (but they're even smaller !!)

Steve

Well Steve considering the distance I would not expect much better myself @200. It looks as sharp as it could be, obviously the cropping it to get to the size of the one you posted up is not going to do you too many favours. So not too much to worry about really once you have sorted the distance thing out (y) or a bigger lens :LOL::LOL:

I know what you mean about the frustration getting near enough, i have a 300mm lens and i thought when i got it i could get any shot but no!!:shrug:

Well Steve considering the distance I would not expect much better myself @200. It looks as sharp as it could be, obviously the cropping it to get to the size of the one you posted up is not going to do you too many favours. So not too much to worry about really once you have sorted the distance thing out (y) or a bigger lens :LOL::LOL:

I've purchased some camo sheeting, and will be having a go at the Goldies in the garden tomorrow....

I bet they all p*** off somewhere else, just to wind me up ! :D

Steve

Back